Trusted Contributor

Josie's Skin Dope

[ Edited ]

Hi, I know Hemp is widely used in skincare, makeup, has many benefits, et., but Josie has always said Argan Oil is all your skin needs, all skin types: dry, oily, combo sensitive, acneic....it's a lipid oil, provides cushion needed for aging skin, ....so why is hemp needed?  it isn't really, maybe some would prefer a half & half oil.

I have no problem with the product.
I realize this is not a cannabis, HOWEVER,  to advertise this as such, by way of colloquialisms, is what I do have a problem with.

This is NOT something children should be reading from a bottle sitting on counters, or on shelves of stores, or hearing "Skin Dope, Dope is In, Dope Oil, Just Dropped" from Josie and the Hosts during shows.

Children are observant.

--Especially using  words like Dope, and phrases such as :

Dope is In

Just Dropped

...slang related to drug use-  teens for sure, probably younger, know what slang words, phrases are relating to.

There is no way I'm  watching, listening, let alone buying  "Skin Dope, Dope is in, Dope Oil, Just Dropped."  All of these words in emails Josies just sent, and some are on the bottle.

There's no reason to use colloquialisms in this day of rampant drug use, especially children seeing this on their parents counters, or store shelves, or seeing mom or dad watching this on QVC. They won't care if the parent has to explain there's no cannabis in the product, they'll see the words on the bottle, in advertisments, hear the words on tv, and think it's being condoned in their minds, and talk about it to other kids, thinking it's ok.

I understand some will find this funny, cute, no big deal,just get over it, etc., but kids do see and hear, and find suggestive words to give them a reason that it's ok, because it's on my mom's counter, or on the store shelf where we shop, etc. 

And I do not want to watch a show where these phrases are used. I'm not without humor, I just don't think this is funny, cute, not appropriate on any level, for me.

I will turn the channel as I do with anything I'm not interested in, or find inappropriate, or offensive.

This is disappointing.  I'm very glad I still use a few other skincare lines which give results, as I think I'm dropping Josie. I have to think about it.Cat Surprised

Cat Very HappyHeartCat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Honored Contributor

Re: Josie's Skin Dope

[ Edited ]

skittle,

I agree with everything you wrote.  

It puzzles that if argan oil is all one's skin needs, then why add hemp?  Right to the core of the first concern.

Like you, I think the use of the word "dope" in the product's name is a foolish choice, primarily for the reason you cite.  Such a reckless and tasteless choice.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skittles2  Don't take everything Josie says as gospel. She's a saleswomen first! She's interested in her sales and the bottom line of her products. Sounds like a gimmick. But, then she strikes me as a snake-oil sales person with her speal. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

So what are you suggesting will happen if a kid sees it?  Are you saying they will eat it trying to get high?  What is the real concern?

As for adding the hemp.....yes I'd say it's a gimmick.  Keep in mind that QVC, as well as the other shopping channels, pushes the vendors to introduce "new" products with every visit.  QVC knows that "new" is what sells.

Laura loves cats!
Regular Contributor

My guess is that Josie's argan oil is no longer "shiny and new". It's no longer a novelty in the beauty world so she has to add in other ingredients to remain relevant. I still love her products and I don't think she needs to mess with a good thing. 

Respected Contributor

I've been trying to see all sides of this and I guess what bothers me is the word dope.  It almost seems like that word is being glorified when printed on labels.  The ingredient is hemp.  Why not just say Argan Oil with Hemp. 

Is it saying dope is good for the skin?  Is it saying dope is good?  I honestly do not know what effect it may have on children as they see so much already, but to me the title skin dope is unnecessary.  I don't find that title to my skin care to be a selling point.  However, with each state changing their laws, maybe to a younger crowd finds that name is appealing. 

However, if argan oil is the best out there, what is the addition of hemp doing for it?  I will have to wait and see the presentation and see how they make this additon a selling point.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The word 'dope' can also mean cover or smear with a thick liquid and it may not have anything to do with hemp.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The word 'dope' can also mean cover or smear with a thick liquid and it may not have anything to do with hemp.

@SilleeMee  It's Hemp.  Josie has called it Skin Dope.

Josie Maran Dope Skin.jpg

Also, First Aid Beauty, and several beauty brands are bringing hemp beauty items out in 2019 (there were already several in the market).

First-Aid-Beauty-Ultra-Repair-Cannabis-Oat-Dry-Oil.jpg

Respected Contributor

I went on Josie's site and this is the description.  The name of the product is Skin Dope (organic glow oil).

It retails at $65 for 1.7 oz.

Hemp Seed Oil

50:50 blend of pure, organic, cold-pressed Argan and Hemp Seed Oil defends against early signs of aging for stronger-looking, bouncier, glowier skin.

• Helps defend skin against the first signs of aging
• Nourishes and smooths for stronger-looking skin
• Boosts skin’s resiliency and youthful bounce
• Visibly increases skin’s natural radiance

Respected Contributor

@skittles2  I couldn't agree with you more, skittle.  Josie, QVC, and some customers may be comfortable with this garbage -- but a lot of us aren't.