Respected Contributor

It seems she's been on a lot lately.  Nothing about her products interests me.  Too expensive and I don't like how everyone's skin looks so shiny. 

Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter if she is  20, 38 or 68, the backstory is that when she was modeling she ran into a woman who had such great skin who was way older than anyone thought and she said what she has been using is Argan oil.  If you start great skincare young you can achieve great results as you eventually age!!  The idea is preventative by using it at a younger age.  I look at pictures of my grandmothers and mother they looked way older in their 40's than many now look in their 60's.  It has to be due to the great skincare products now available.  Many women back then didn't bother with skincare.  There are some with great genes that looked really good but that was not the norm. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I give Josie a lot of credit for bringing argan oil to the forefront whether you like it or not.  The whole oil industry opened up.  Before she introduced her line most women knew nothing about argan oils and other oils.  Cat Very Happy  Happy Holidays!

I give Josie a lot of credit too -- for brilliant marketing.  She and her business partners certainly know how to make it all seem as if she truly 'discovered" argan oil for the world.  She is purposefully muddying those waters in every presentation.  But hey, that's sales. The fact remains that you can get, and have for eons, cold-pressed 100% pure argan oil at a fraction of what her costs are, a fraction.  Yes, her products are wonderful, but of course the part they always leave out is that it's not hard to do an Internet search to get the same wonderful pure product, ounce for ounce, without the 500% mark-up of her costs. 

Valued Contributor

First let me say I think Josie Maran is very beautiful and seems sweet.

But the whole thing with Argan oil is pure marketing.  I seriously doubt she "discovered" it, and every other company these days has tried the marketing ploy of a discovery in a remote place of a special oil for our skin, our hair etc.  I'm thinking Maureen and Tarte from the Amazon, the Ojon schtick for our hair, etc.

I don't fall for it.  Nice to believe there's a fountain of youth but it is pure Madison ave. advertising.

You've been able to buy jojoba oil, Vit E oil, oil of Oregano etc at health food stores for years....pure oil, no fancy names or packaging or pretty people selling it to us on home shopping.

Honored Contributor

Re: Josie Maran

[ Edited ]

She has never said she actually "discovered" it and the process to press the nuts etc!!!  She merely stated that after seeing the older woman with such great skin who looked way younger she discovered that argan oil would give great results so she formed her company.  She never stated at any time that she was the first to manufacture and market it!!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bought a 4oz tub to try out. I thought with all of the hype I'd be blown away. Not at all. Will stick with my $7 monster tub of good stuff that actually works on my dry skin! 
Her hand lotion is nothing to write home about. I do like the infinity oil! In the end, I saved myself a boatload! 

Honored Contributor

@HB glamma  Don't forget PTR in the ditch digging up the black mud himself (?) for his masks.

Honored Contributor

But Josie's attributing that French woman's appearance as 30-40 yrs. younger by using Argan Oil.....Today's good skincare is based on Vit. C serum, exfoliation, moisturizers, Retin A & sunscreen. The French women didn't scream all that out as the reason she looked so young. Those steps of skincare is why we look younger than mothers/grandmothers at same age we are now....also diet & exercise! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

She has never said she actually "discovered" it and the process to press the nuts etc!!!  She merely stated that after seeing the older woman with such great skin who looked way younger she discovered that argan oil would give great results so she formed her company.  She never stated at any time that she was the first to manufacture and market it!!!!!!!

I beg to differ.  When she says "she discovered it on one of her modeling trips..."  it indeed can and does sound as if she truly discovered argan oil, not just found out about argan oil for herself. Notice she nevers states she "found out about it" which is more accurate.  I never said she is lying, she is just using the term "discovered" loosely to her advantage. Some customers who don't know the history of argan oil can and do take that term discover as all inclusive for the world.  It's what she does not say that is the omission and essence of her great marketing.  Of course she does not say that she is the first to manufacture it.  Why would she ever bring that into the presentation?  It's a practiced sales pitch; it's what is said and what is not said. 

Just like when Josie holds up her bottle and says "The NY Times calls it liquid gold."  Yes, the NY Times called argan oil liquid gold.  But there are people who listen and look at her holding her bottle while saying that, and they believe the NY Times called "Josie Maran Argan Oil" liquid gold.  No, they did not, the Times made a generic statement about argan oil.  Josie is not lying, but again, great marketing by being ambiguous.

Honored Contributor

@happygolfcartrider   .....and maybe some "work" done. She's Hollywood/model after all & certainly can afford a ****** & tuck, it can't all be from oiling up. Let's get real.