Frequent Contributor

I've been using the Josie Maran matchmacker foundation and want to add the SPF product she makes.  Would I put that over or under the foundation or can i just mix it in, that's what I did with the argon light oil.  Any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

I would put the SPF on first. You can try mixing it, but you risk not getting enough sunscreen on your face that way. If you do mix, I'd start with the normal amount of sunscreen you use and then mix the foundation into that. If you have a lot of product left over when you finish applying what you've mixed up, you're probably not getting enough sunscreen and should switch to using the sunscreen under the foundation.

Respected Contributor

I use Josie's Perfect and Protect SPF. I always apply that first. Then I sometimes use her Vibrancy foundation over it and sometimes just use the SPF on its own. 

Frequent Contributor

Thanks.  I guess I'll fool around with it.  I love the color of the Matchmaker foundation fair, its perfect for my skin and don't want the SPF to change the color if i apply it over it.  Could the SPF be applied over it or would that ruin the foundation.  The tinted SPF is too dark for me

Honored Contributor

@bunk wrote:

Thanks.  I guess I'll fool around with it.  I love the color of the Matchmaker foundation fair, its perfect for my skin and don't want the SPF to change the color if i apply it over it.  Could the SPF be applied over it or would that ruin the foundation.  The tinted SPF is too dark for me

You can try it, but you risk smearing your foundation AND not getting enough sunscreen on because it will be much harder to rub in over your foundation and you'll want to use less to make it easier. Note that Josie's SPF product is called a Daily Moisturizer SPF 47. Do you normally apply your moisturizer over your foundation?

Liquid sunscreen is meant to go on your skin under your foundation. If you insist on using sunscreen over your makeup, you may want to look into mineral powder sunscreens instead of a liquid moisturizer with SPF.

Frequent Contributor

@bunk I use Josie's sunscreen daily and I always put it under the foundation. I have used it with her matchmaker and with other brands as well and it has always worked fine for me without altering the make up. I usually wait about 2-3 minutes after putting on the suncreen before I apply anything else just to give it a chance to soak in. However, I have gone right ahead with foundation before when I was rushed for time with no problems. Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@bunk  I also use the SPF, like others, I use it first, then let it set for a few, then her Face butter, let it set a few, then foundation....(oh I have never had it change my foundation color either..Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@bunk, I recommend using Josie's Protect and Perfect (the tinted SPF).  It has a peach tint.  I don't believe compromises efficacy of the SPF by with adding a couple drops of Matchmaker with it.  Protect and Perfect is my favorite daytime moisturizer.  I can get by wearing it alone, but love it best when I add a drop or two of foundation. The result is incredible natural looking perfection.  I add the foundation to the pump of moisturizer before applying to my face. 

The following is from Josie's website regarding Matchmaker foundation: How I use it:  I start by smoothing on Argan Oil Daily Moisturizer with SPF 40+ to prime and protect my skin. Then I blend in Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation with a foundation brush, sponge, or my fingers. Let it set for a minute, and I’m out the door.

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@bunk, I recommend using Josie's Protect and Perfect (the tinted SPF).  It has a peach tint.  I don't believe compromises efficacy of the SPF by with adding a couple drops of Matchmaker with it.  Protect and Perfect is my favorite daytime moisturizer.  I can get by wearing it alone, but love it best when I add a drop or two of foundation. The result is incredible natural looking perfection.  I add the foundation to the pump of moisturizer before applying to my face. 

The following is from Josie's website regarding Matchmaker foundation: How I use it:  I start by smoothing on Argan Oil Daily Moisturizer with SPF 40+ to prime and protect my skin. Then I blend in Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation with a foundation brush, sponge, or my fingers. Let it set for a minute, and I’m out the door.

Be careful if you're very fair. The Protect and Perfect only comes in one shade and it's too dark for me and pulls orange. It's a great product if it matches your skintone, but anything that comes in only one shade always raises a red flag for me. Even the Matchmaker foundation comes in Fair, Medium, and Dark.