Respected Contributor

Re: Josie Maran has a new RETINOID PINK ALGAE SERUM.

[ Edited ]
@SilleeMee@Shanus what do you think.......I found this at Beautiful with Brains. Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate is the most promising vitamin C derivative created so far. It penetrates skin deeper than all other forms of vitamin C (including L-Ascorbic Acid!) so it does a better job at fighting free radicals, boosting collagen and brightening the skintone. So, you’ve decided you’d like to give Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate a try, after all? Here’s where you can find it: Dr Dennis Gross C + Collagen Serum ($78.00): 3 forms of vitamin C + niacinamide + superoxide dismutase. Available at Cult Beauty, Dermstore, Net-A-Porter and Nordstrom Paula’s Choice Resist Super Antioxidant Serum ($38.00): 2 forms of Vitamin C + vitamin E + ferulic acid + superoxide dismutase. Available at Dermstore, Look Fantastic, Nordstrom and Paula’s Choice Peter Thomas Roth Potent C Power Serum ($95.00): Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate + vitamin E + ferulic acid. Available at Blue Mercury, Nordstrom, Sephora and Ulta SkinMedica Vitamin C + E Complex ($102.00): Teatrahexyldecyl Ascorbate + L-Ascorbic Acid + vitamin E. Available at Dermstore, Skincarerx and Skinstore.
Honored Contributor

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
@SilleeMee@Shanus what do you think.......I found this at Beautiful with Brains. Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate is the most promising vitamin C derivative created so far. It penetrates skin deeper than all other forms of vitamin C (including L-Ascorbic Acid!) so it does a better job at fighting free radicals, boosting collagen and brightening the skintone. So, you’ve decided you’d like to give Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate a try, after all? Here’s where you can find it: Dr Dennis Gross C + Collagen Serum ($78.00): 3 forms of vitamin C + niacinamide + superoxide dismutase. Available at Cult Beauty, Dermstore, Net-A-Porter and Nordstrom Paula’s Choice Resist Super Antioxidant Serum ($38.00): 2 forms of Vitamin C + vitamin E + ferulic acid + superoxide dismutase. Available at Dermstore, Look Fantastic, Nordstrom and Paula’s Choice Peter Thomas Roth Potent C Power Serum ($95.00): Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate + vitamin E + ferulic acid. Available at Blue Mercury, Nordstrom, Sephora and Ulta SkinMedica Vitamin C + E Complex ($102.00): Teatrahexyldecyl Ascorbate + L-Ascorbic Acid + vitamin E. Available at Dermstore, Skincarerx and Skinstore.

They all look pretty good to me @Naturesbeauty . For me personally, I would have to buy one that I could actually afford to keep buying. That's the bottom line for me. What good is a product if you use it for only a month or two, right? My own creation includes THD, ferulate and vitamin E....plus a tiny amount of EtOH, a preservative, glycerin

and water. I make one ounce and that lasts about 6 weeks. That bottle costs me less than $10.

Honored Contributor

I never use coconut oil on my face. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle wrote:

Coconut alkanes is not coconut oil. They take coconut oil and process it until it becomes a type of natural liquid silicone (fatty acid chains have been broken), coconut alkanes, which acts as a skin barrier and does not absorb. Some argue that since it's made from coconut oil then it has the same potential to cause skin issues as coconut oil.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Coconut alkanes is not coconut oil. They take coconut oil and process it until it becomes a type of natural liquid silicone which acts as a skin barrier and does not absorb. Some argue that since it's made from coconut oil then it has the same potential to cause skin issues as coconut oil.

Thanks, either way, it is not for me. I have oily skin at 67, and would not use it. 

Honored Contributor

I just took a peek at the ingredient deck, it does have coconut oil and soybean oil in it. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I just took a peek at the ingredient deck, it does have coconut oil and soybean oil in it. 

Double whammy!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee Thanks for answering to my post. I ordered the Paula’s Choice one. Dr. Dennis Gross was on Wait List and it was pretty pricey. Again thanks so much. 🥰
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Kabella wrote:

@SilleeMee  I am not prone to acne but I don't use coconut oil as it does clog pores on the face. I don't use retinoids either. I do want to try her Vit C as I am developing an age spot on the side of my face. I am lucky that I have normal skin & so far I have what works for me. Thankyou for the ingred's! Can you or @Shanus or others reco. something else I can use just on that spot or should I go ahead & get the Vit.C???

@Kabella 

If you don't want to go with hydroquinone (HQ), which I can understand why, then I recommend a serum with the vitamin C derivative THD ascorbate. That is an oil form, highly stable VC which works at very low concentrations and absorbs into the skin rather well. But be prepared to spend more for most serums containing it because it is not a cheap ingredient. At only 10% concentration, it has been shown to eliminate age spots in 16 weeks. I know this is true because I had the start of a brown spot and now it's gone. I use my own THD formulation of 10% strength. My skin has responded well to that as seen with no hyperpig and skin texture is smooth and firm. THD is a relatively new kid on the block for VC products and people are liking it a lot. Several brands make a serum with it. You have to look at the ingredients to find one....I know, PITA!

The following I took from LotionCrafter dot com. It's somewhat technical but it states some intriguing info:

"Properties (THD)

• At 0.1% reduces melanin synthesis by 80%
  • At 10% eliminated age spots in 16 weeks
  • At 3% in vivo reduces Delta-L value by 15% vs. placebo (22 people), a way to measure whitening effect
  • At 0.1% in vitro increases collagen by 50%
  • Tested at 10% in vivo to treat acne with 80% of patients (12 people) satisfied with results
  • Increases collagen synthesis at least twice as much as ascorbic acid
  • Inhibits MMP-2 and MMP-9 over e time better than ascorbic acid
  • decreased 80-OHdG induced by UV-A
  • decreased p53 expression induced by UV-B
  • Protects the cells against UV-B better than other esters of Vitamin C
  • Works synergistically with Thiotaine as both penetrate the cells for anti-oxidant activity"

When it comes to VC serums, most contain L-ascorbate and the cost of some of those serums can be astronomical....ridiculous, I'd say.  L-ascorbate is a very inexpensive ingredient but where the cost comes into play is everything else in those products used to keep the VC stable, including the container it comes in. All of these things add to cost of a serum to keep it stable and preserved. Most of the time you're paying for stabilizers and preservatives (unfortunate yet necessary) in any one product so what you get is effective and not inactive.

@SilleeMee 

A while ago, I was reading an ncbi study about the different forms of vitamin C, and they stated that THD was the lowest of the C forms to induce collagen production. (The study was not really about C, but about skin absorption...espcially with the addition of water....) If I find the study again, I will post it for you.

Anyway, I was wondering since you've been using the THD form of C, have you been able to realize any real benefit over whatever you were using before that?

I

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

The bottle says 2% Pro Retinol. Okay, so what is the ingredient that does that? I don't see anything familiar in the ingredient list that looks like retinol. Anyone know?

Pro retinols usually come from plant fatty acids. Pro retinols are not actually retinol but precursors of them. Some of these would include palmitic acid, oleic acid, stearic acid, and linoleic acid...things found in many seed and nut oils. The names may appear different in the ingredient deck...but the prefixes look familiar. @Porcelain 

Hmmm. It will be very interesting to see whether people who use this product with these ingredients see any retinol-like effects, then. Seems to me that these fatty acids are already in most moisturizers that contain basic plant-based carrier-type oils. Such as Josie's Argan oil, for that matter. I'm sure if there is something revolutionary about this particular formula, we'll hear all about it. Looking forward to that.

Lactate seems to be up there on the ingredient list.

This is not bashing....It's just interesting to note how one -- only one! -- ingredient (agran oil) used to be the do-all and be-all in the skincare cosmetic world!

That list is a mile long!

I keep saying that you don't only eat one thing, but a variety. It seems to me, at different stages of our lives that we need more than one "miracle" ingredient for optimal skin care -- as much as I would love to pare everything down. (Like my DH who's always said he could get by with a razor and a bar of soap!)