Honored Contributor

Re: Josie Maran has a new RETINOID PINK ALGAE SERUM.

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

The bottle says 2% Pro Retinol. Okay, so what is the ingredient that does that? I don't see anything familiar in the ingredient list that looks like retinol. Anyone know?

Pro retinols usually come from plant fatty acids. Pro retinols are not actually retinol but precursors of them. Some of these would include palmitic acid, oleic acid, stearic acid, and linoleic acid...things found in many seed and nut oils. The names may appear different in the ingredient deck...but the prefixes look familiar. @Porcelain 

Hmmm. It will be very interesting to see whether people who use this product with these ingredients see any retinol-like effects, then. Seems to me that these fatty acids are already in most moisturizers that contain basic plant-based carrier-type oils. Such as Josie's Argan oil, for that matter. I'm sure if there is something revolutionary about this particular formula, we'll hear all about it. Looking forward to that.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I think it's a sales ploy more than anything...using catch words like 'retinoid'  are designed to get your attention.Woman Wink @Porcelain 

I've never actually heard of 'Beta Retinoid'...?? hmmm. I have no idea what that is.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee @Shanus I have learned so much from reading your informative posts. I have been using Mario Badescu Vitamin-C serum and now learn that the Vitamin C used in it is L-ascorbate 😢. Could you recommend a good Vitamin-C serum that I can purchase here from QVC? Many thanks for sharing all you know with us here at the Beauty Forum. 🙋🏻❤️💐 (I am 70, normal/dry skin)
Respected Contributor

@Shanus  The reason Retin A is not part of my skincare is because of the advice of my oncologist who's specialty is Hemotology & is also my primary care phycian. IEven Retin A at a small dose rarely but could cause an infection over a period of time of use, so I was advised not to use it. When I have a dental cleaning I have to take a low dose anti-biotic etc. etc. I am a surviver but have to be extra careful. My Husband & I do see a derm. basically because we now live in fl. & he has a tendency to develop sun spots even using a good sunscreen. Like I said, I have normal skin & even at 62, I look much younger than my years & its heritary. I think I have a sunspot because that is on the side that I drive my car. How about squeezing a lemon on that spot lol!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  Thankyou for taking the time to post that info. Read what I replied to Shanus.

Respected Contributor

Dr. Anthony Youn explains the difference between using a Retinol or Retin-A https://youtu.be/p8GBm7N5ZUs And the difference between the too.
Honored Contributor

@Kabella wrote:

@Shanus  The reason Retin A is not part of my skincare is because of the advice of my oncologist who's specialty is Hemotology & is also my primary care phycian. IEven Retin A at a small dose rarely but could cause an infection over a period of time of use, so I was advised not to use it. When I have a dental cleaning I have to take a low dose anti-biotic etc. etc. I am a surviver but have to be extra careful. My Husband & I do see a derm. basically because we now live in fl. & he has a tendency to develop sun spots even using a good sunscreen. Like I said, I have normal skin & even at 62, I look much younger than my years & its heritary. I think I have a sunspot because that is on the side that I drive my car. How about squeezing a lemon on that spot lol!

@Kabella  Apologies. I didn't mean to ask you to share info that was private. So glad you're doing well. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
@SilleeMee@ShanusI have learned so much from reading your informative posts. I have been using Mario Badescu Vitamin-C serum and now learn that the Vitamin C used in it is L-ascorbate 😢. Could you recommend a good Vitamin-C serum that I can purchase here from QVC? Many thanks for sharing all you know with us here at the Beauty Forum. 🙋🏻❤️💐 (I am 70, normal/dry skin)

Thank you for your kind words Woman Happy @Naturesbeauty .

As I mentioned earlier, I would recommend a VC serum or treatment product which contains THD ascorbate. That is a highly stable oil form of VC. It works at very low concentrations. I can't give any recommendations for any VC serum sold here on the Q. But I will say if you look for one with that THD then I think you might find it works better than most other kinds of VC. Of course everyone's skin is not the same so you may not experience the same either.

When you go to look for THD ascorbate, some products use the word "Potent-C" in their description and even though it says Potent-C you should check and see if it's THD. HTH.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  No need to apologize, all is good! Heart

Trusted Contributor

Anything with coconut oil or its derivatives is a no-go for me. I do think it does good things for some people, but my sebaceous glands are good, thus I use any oil sparingly.