Josie claims this tanning oil is all natural.  However, when you look up ingredients, some are not at all natural.  Also said the color is from sugar beets.  The only color I could find in the ingridients is "carmel color"?  Just wondering about the natural ingredients claimed.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Josie Maran Tanning oil?

Josie is a spokeswoman for her brand and tends to stretch the truth a bit. I don't believe old women crack the argon nuts on stones either. Just nicer to imagine than shiny, steel machines manufacturing the oil...

Honored Contributor

Now this is one product I would trust because it looks natural on the skin.  The last time I used a tanning product was when QT was out and that was over 50 years ago and I turned orange.  LOL  I am interested in trying but not as a TSV because I could care less about the body scrub (I used it and did not like it).

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The word 'natural' doesn't mean anything and is completely unregulated terminology. That word is used as a marketing ploy. 

Just because an ingredient is claimed to be natural doesn't make it any better or worse than ingredients that have no such claims.

Honored Contributor

Any SPF or is it just grease?  Sounds useless.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Any SPF or is it just grease?  Sounds useless.

The oil is used to make you self-tan and is not intended as a SPF product. @Kachina624 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

After doing some internet searches, this is what I learned about the tanning oil.

" SkinSAFE has reviewed the ingredients of Josie Maran Argan Liquid Gold Self-Tanning Oil and found it to be FREE of Top Common Allergy Causing Preservatives, Paraben, Lanolin, Topical Antibiotic, MCI/MI, Nickel, Gluten, and Soy."

It is indeed 91% natural.  The only ingredient that is not natural is listed way down toward the end of the ingredient list is 

Sodium Benzoate.  Sodium benzoate is a sodium salt that is commonly used as a chemical preservative, but can also occur naturally in some foods. This chemical is often found in processed foods such as sodas, fruit juices, vinegar, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, dyes or industrial settings. It is often added to items like salad dressing to extend shelf life.

While this is not a pro or a con post for this tanning oil product, it is one I will try simply because the reviews stated that you get a light tan result with one application and that's all I want.  

Respected Contributor

Although I  love some of her products I would NEVER order this from her based on my last experience years ago. It was a goop used in the shower and rinsed off. Q quit selling it as so many negative  issues. I was so turned off that never again would I try it. There are so many of similar products I just can not understand her jumping into  this arena?

Respected Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

Although I  love some of her products I would NEVER order this from her based on my last experience years ago. It was a goop used in the shower and rinsed off. Q quit selling it as so many negative  issues. I was so turned off that never again would I try it. There are so many of similar products I just can not understand her jumping into  this arena?

I love all of the products I've tried of hers as well.  My skin has improved remarkably over the months I've been using the body butter.  When I went for my skin cancer screening, the Dr. commented on my "healthy skin" and that is what Josie advocates with her products.   I am thinking she may be trying to find a safer more natural tanning product, even though her first try wasn't successful.  

Honored Contributor

Not for me.  I haven't tried a single one that doesn't stink.  And the stink comes from the active ingredient that creates the "tan".

I'll stick with my pale skin.