Occasional Contributor

Josie Maran Exfoliating Powder Review

Hi Ladies, I'm interested in JM exfoliating powder, but I'm on the fence. Is it worth it? Something you can't live without? Any help is appreciated.
Regular Contributor

Re: Josie Maran Exfoliating Powder Review

I haven't tried the newer version, but I did purchase the older version last year. I couldn't wait to use it up and get it out of the way (I would have tossed it, but I don't like being wasteful). I know others love it, but it was very gritty and harsh for me no matter how much cleanser or oil I added. I love all of her other products though, the milk, argan oil light and regular, spf, lotions, and everything else I've tried {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}.

ETA: Not sure if you care about the Beautypedia reviews on this, but this is rated as poor:

From Beautypedia: The problem? Although this type of manual exfoliation (or polishing, if you prefer) of skin can produce super-smooth results, the main abrasive agent is argan shell powder along with a tiny amount of powdered oatmeal. Although those ingredients are natural, in scrub form, they cannot be made spherical (rounded) and as such can scratch and tear at skin unless you’re very careful with each use. Ironically, a scrub with synthetic polyethylene beads would be gentler on your skin, or you can consider a scrub with rounded jojoba beads.

Esteemed Contributor

Powders make wonderful exfoliators for those who are a little sensitive to the usual grainy forms of exfoliating cleansers. I have not yet used Josie's but have used this type of exfoliator in the past and always been pleased.

Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2015 Serena-1130 said:

I haven't tried the newer version, but I did purchase the older version last year. I couldn't wait to use it up and get it out of the way (I would have tossed it, but I don't like being wasteful). I know others love it, but it was very gritty and harsh for me no matter how much cleanser or oil I added. I love all of her other products though, the milk, argan oil light and regular, spf, lotions, and everything else I've tried {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}.

ETA: Not sure if you care about the Beautypedia reviews on this, but this is rated as poor:

From Beautypedia: The problem? Although this type of manual exfoliation (or polishing, if you prefer) of skin can produce super-smooth results, the main abrasive agent is argan shell powder along with a tiny amount of powdered oatmeal. Although those ingredients are natural, in scrub form, they cannot be made spherical (rounded) and as such can scratch and tear at skin unless you’re very careful with each use. Ironically, a scrub with synthetic polyethylene beads would be gentler on your skin, or you can consider a scrub with rounded jojoba beads.

I remember reading that review, Serena. That would be last thing my poor skin needs. I still have flashbacks to some similar scrubs that I used years ago.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Ladies! Very helpful information ?? I do love the Argan oil, SPF moisturizer, and the creamy oils from Josie.
Regular Contributor

On 2/6/2015 suzyQ3 said:

I remember reading that review, Serena. That would be last thing my poor skin needs. I still have flashbacks to some similar scrubs that I used years ago.

Same here. When I was a total skincare ignoramus, I used to think that if it was abrasive and my skin was red afterwards, it was doing its job and getting it clean {#emotions_dlg.scared}. Lol., imagine how much damage I did to my poor skin. After the JM powder, I tried the Microdelivery wash, which was better, but drying. At the advise of the knowledgeable ladies on this board, I started using Paula's Choice AHA and BHA exfoliants. They are absolutely fantastic! I disagree with some of her reviews - what works for some may not work for others (and some of the products she's rated poorly, I get great results with - go figure). But she hit the nail on the head with the roughness of this powder (the earlier version at least).

Anyway OP, if you really want to try it, I would suggest stopping into Sephora and getting a sample first. It may be reformulated now...crushed finer maybe?

Occasional Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}I absolutely love Josie's exfoliating powder.....it becomes frothy and sudsy with water added to it. I use it every morning and I have fairly sensitive skin and it does not bother my skin, only leaves it really clean, smooth and with a nice glow! I would highly recommend it.

Regular Contributor

Speaking of the powder, this was just listed for anyone interested:

A266962

Josie Maran Argan Oil & Cleansing Powder Duo

$54.96

Valued Contributor

Speaking of the powder, this was just listed for anyone interested:

A266962

Josie Maran Argan Oil & Cleansing Powder Duo

$54.96

This was on OTO pricing last night for under $50.

Thanks for posting the review from Beautypedia - last night I looked for a review on this on Beautypedia but for some reason I could not find it.

Trusted Contributor

I recently purchased the exfoliating powder and cleansing oil. Mixing it together it seemed much to pasty and difficult to exfoliate, wash my face so I wasn't sure I liked it. So, I added water to the mix also and it wasn't so thick and pasty, much easier to rub around and exfoliate my face so I liked it much much better. I decided it was a keeper!