Super Contributor

Re: Josie Maran Argan Oil and eczema outbreak

I have used several of Josie Marans products but felt her Argan Milk was drying. After researching the purity of her ingredients I am very pleased with Shea Organics. I think the quality is much better. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alleighssun, you are not alone. Like every product on the planet, argan oil works for some and not for others.  My dry skin does not like argan oil at all. Learned that a couple of years ago. I don't have eczema but I ended up with red, actual peeling skin from using argan oil. My dermatologist confirmed that it was the cause. When I stopped using it, all was well again. My derm gave me a prescription for urea cream, which cleared up the mess that argan made super quickly and then recommended the best skincare regime for me to keep my dry skin moisturized without irritation. I followed all of her advice and my skin was almost instantly back to calm and remains happy every day now.

Regular Contributor

Oh my goodness! Thank you for posting this! I’ve been using JM argon oil on my dry hands for about a week and one of my hands has had a horrible eczema breakout ( funny only one hand affected) I’m going to take a break and see if it clears up- I never even considered it could be the argon oil!

Valued Contributor

I had purchased some of her Argan oil and it did wonders for my feet and elbows but I have been using Accure for some time now and am very happy.  I guess what works well for some does not help others. After my reaction to her Argan Milk (which is sad because it seemed great) I don't use her products.

Super Contributor

I react to many things and have had eczema rashes on my hands and face. As far as I know, the medical community doesn't know for sure what causes eczema, but it's possibly a number of causes including genetics. That being said, it sounds like you had a pretty bad reaction to the oil and considering how much damage a reaction can do to your skin (i have scars and some hyperpigmentation where I had reactions), it's good you stopped using it.

From what I've experienced, anything can cause a reaction. I've had reactions in the past to my own sweat and tears just because I made the mistake of not putting on cream to protect my skin. Unfortunately, it seems like once you've had a reaction, the area can stay hyper-reactive. High percentage cortisone cream is a staple in my med cabinet!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alleighssun  I have never seen your name on the forum before but I have to say you have excellent timing to put down Josie's argan oil on the day of her TSV.  Shame on you.  If you wanted to help other people you would sent out this message earlier right after your dr. visit.  You probably have allergic reactions to other products too.  I am sorry that it happened to you but to put down Josie on her TSV is not very nice.  Cat Mad