Highlighted
Contributor

Josie Maran Argan Oil and eczema outbreak

I have oily skin and have had intermittent problems with scalp eczema over the years but never on my face (just acne there!). I started using argan oil about a year ago in hopes that it would balance out my oily skin. It worked beautifully initially in balancing out my skin and I was very happy with it until last month. My skin went crazy! I was breaking out in rashes and dry scaly skin around my scalp, jawline, brows, and nose. It got so bad I went to a dermatologist. When I told her I was using argan oil, she told me to quit immediately- the oil was causing the eczema to develop in all the classic places on the face, and that was the reason I was only seeing it at the hairline instead of all over my scalp. I couldn't believe that was it and told her I'd used this for close to a year without any problems at all. She explained how oil is one of the root causes of exczema (which I already knew because of my scalp condition); however, I'd never had it on my face until last month! I discontinued using the argan oil and used a hydrocortisone cream for about a week, and my skin completely cleared up. Still not believing the oil could possibly be the cause, I used it again yesterday morning. My skin immediately reacted. I am dry and scaly around the jawline and nose again! I really am shocked after having such seemingly good results for so long and wanted to share my experience with everybody who may have skin similar to mine! And ask for any alternate moisturizers now that I have to permanently retire the JM!

Re: Josie Maran Argan Oil and eczema outbreak

My husband bought foderma serum for me to help with an eczema outbreak. The prescription strength steroid cream was not working and in fact my condition was worsening. I applied foderma serum to the infected area twice a day and one week later there was no sign of eczema!!

Honored Contributor

Alleighssun wrote:

I have oily skin and have had intermittent problems with scalp eczema over the years but never on my face (just acne there!). I started using argan oil about a year ago in hopes that it would balance out my oily skin. It worked beautifully initially in balancing out my skin and I was very happy with it until last month. My skin went crazy! I was breaking out in rashes and dry scaly skin around my scalp, jawline, brows, and nose. It got so bad I went to a dermatologist. When I told her I was using argan oil, she told me to quit immediately- the oil was causing the eczema to develop in all the classic places on the face, and that was the reason I was only seeing it at the hairline instead of all over my scalp. I couldn't believe that was it and told her I'd used this for close to a year without any problems at all. She explained how oil is one of the root causes of exczema (which I already knew because of my scalp condition); however, I'd never had it on my face until last month! I discontinued using the argan oil and used a hydrocortisone cream for about a week, and my skin completely cleared up. Still not believing the oil could possibly be the cause, I used it again yesterday morning. My skin immediately reacted. I am dry and scaly around the jawline and nose again! I really am shocked after having such seemingly good results for so long and wanted to share my experience with everybody who may have skin similar to mine! And ask for any alternate moisturizers now that I have to permanently retire the JM!

I have horrible scalp eczema and eczema on my back.  I don't use this oil on my hairline.  I do use it on my face.  I get eczema on my face on occasion, and this has not exacerbated it.  Scalp eczema/atopic dermatis is SOOOO annoying and nothing I"ve used works!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Veronica55 wrote:

My husband bought foderma serum for me to help with an eczema outbreak. The prescription strength steroid cream was not working and in fact my condition was worsening. I applied foderma serum to the infected area twice a day and one week later there was no sign of eczema!!

I've never heard of foderma serum, and I"ve tried and heard of everything to help eczema.  What is this and where do you get it?  I guess I"ll google, LOL.  Thanks

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Valued Contributor

Alleighssun wrote:

I think for gals with sensitive or problematics skins, our skins change all the time.  That is the reason that I do not have a skin care routine that I stick with it for years.  I have oily/acne prone skin, and some products work for a while and then my acne breaks out.  

I cannot use Argan oil on my face, it does cause me to break out.  And also the It Confidence in a cream gave me the worst break out ever.  

Esteemed Contributor

I can't even imagine using oils on face. Argan or any other. I know - facial oils are in huge trend these days, and I know - many women love them. 

I do not want to offend these ladies....... but for me personally, using oil on my face for cleansing or moisturizing, simply does not make any sense.

I am curious type, and of course tried a few highly praised facial oils several times.  Did not like the way my skin feels after oil, and afraid to experiment, what kind of results I may experience in a long run.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alleighssun,    Have you been tested for allergies?  I read that ecezma flare ups are caused by irritants and possibly could be detergent or soaps.  I am not sure the argan oil caused your problem.  Did you apply cortisone cream that you get at the drugstore.  It will help with itching and inflammation.  Sorry this happened to you but if you never were tested for allergies you should do it.  Good luck.  Cat Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Well I think maybe you are allergic to argan oil since it's suppose to help with inflammation which eczema is. I know a couple of people that have eczema that use it that say it works well for them. 

I don't have eczema but do use argan oil sometimes. I really like it.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alleighssun so to hear your had such a problem with JM's Argan oil.  I don't use it as a first step but the very last at night to seal in moisture and just use 3 drops evenly distribute it on my entire palms then just pat it on & the rest on my neck and chest. Did you use it as a first step? PS You could have just developed an allergy to the oil  IMO Argan oil works best on normal/dry, combo using where dry or dry skin JMO. JM slathers it...Wrong!

Frequent Contributor

I don't care what the latest skincare trend is, I refuse to apply any kind of oil to my face. It's just a bad idea.

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2016 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View