Esteemed Contributor

Josie - Big Air Bubble (void)

Has anybody ever gotten an explanation of why.....Josie's body butter jars arrive half empty?   Every jar - last time CS gave me a $35 credit; but today another jar with one side of nothing.  I don't get it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Josie - Big Air Bubble (void)

It's been mentioned many times on here but Josie also addressed this during her TSV presentation. It's due to settling and expansion but there is the correct amount in the jar. When I make my spaghetti sauce and divide it into containers to freeze it, I don't fill it completely to the top. Due to expansion and contraction the lid would probably pop off and the product would spill out. I realize this is body butter and not spaghetti sauce but it's the same idea. 

Honored Contributor

If it was shipped on its side, that would explain the reason it has shifted to one side, I see that alot in jars. 

Frequent Contributor

I feel for you. That happened to me with a Lancôme cream from HSN. I used it for about 4 days and it was almost gone. I even sent Lancôme a picture. They did nothing. Things do settle but you can tell when you are being shorted. My other Lancôme creams were the same size but had significantly more in them.
Honored Contributor

All of these types of products are sold by weight, not volume.  Food products also do this—say, potato chips.  They settle.  Potato chip bags are usually half full when you open them.

And as @Tricolor mentioned, there is also the issue of expansion and contraction.

Contributor

I agree with everyone else regarding filling to the specified volume/weight and that this is not a defect.  I wanted to add that I believe part of the confusion comes from the displays they use for selling.  Those displays are clearly overfilled jars to have a lot of eye appeal.  They are not representative of what your jar will look like when you open it.  This is not just Josie but all beauty products in jars.  What you see in the demos is overfilled to look better.  

Honored Contributor

@strive4simplicity wrote:

I agree with everyone else regarding filling to the specified volume/weight and that this is not a defect.  I wanted to add that I believe part of the confusion comes from the displays they use for selling.  Those displays are clearly overfilled jars to have a lot of eye appeal.  They are not representative of what your jar will look like when you open it.  This is not just Josie but all beauty products in jars.  What you see in the demos is overfilled to look better.  

exactly this

weighing the jars when they arrive will help of course then you need to figure in the jar, so they might be beyond some people,

Honored Contributor

"Sold by weight, not by volume."

Respected Contributor

@fthunt 

I am so happy to read the responses you got to your question. 

I was a long time "hold out" for Josie's products and very doubtful as to their effectiveness.  However, I finally relented and now I am an avid Josie fan. Would not be without the oil or the body butter.

With that being said,  when I would go to write a review, I would read some really unkind reviews as to Josie trying to cheat people by not filling the products.   Yes, my jars often had "holes" , or, all the product on one side, etc.  I simply weighed my jars.  Not only was the weight exactly as stated, oftentimes, there was slightly more - not much, but certainly not less.

I think the problem lies in that people just don't understand the weight vs. volume concept.  

I hope you are more at ease with your jars now, and will enjoy them as much as others do.    

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Has anybody ever gotten an explanation of why.....Josie's body butter jars arrive half empty?   Every jar - last time CS gave me a $35 credit; but today another jar with one side of nothing.  I don't get it.

OMGosh! I've received the same. I thought that's what is was suppose to be. Smiley Sad