Honored Contributor
On 2/26/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 2/26/2014 scottygal said:

OMG! Blast from my past! I always wanted him to do my hair....it was my biggest fantasy (back in the day). I think he was the first to cut hair for your face and bone structure. Ahead of his time. Ordered his spray just for fun.... want to see his presentations.

And his color! I had a book (it must have been the Shake Your Head Darling) showing before and afters. UNBELIEVABLE! Not only, as you say, cuts that were individualized - not just slap out a Dorothy Hamill wedge, but cuts that made your face come alive. And the most breathtaking, SURPRISING colors. Again, just made the face come alive. I would LOVE to put my head in his hands!

maren

ITA about color. He just his gifted. He has this thing where if you look at the after photos there will be this thin, low lighted, or highlighted strand that follows a curl or line of the hair style to totally accentuate the fall of the hair. Sometimes he will highlight or lowlight the tips of bangs, or around the face to show off your eyes of skin.

I admire his work.

Honored Contributor

Ms Seattle I beg to differ. It was Ms Lucci with Mr Eber - apparently before your time. I've no idea who Fernando is/was but I know this is not the person.

Respected Contributor
On 2/26/2014 shoekitty said:
On 2/26/2014 LuluCCS said:

I don't remember him and I don't know who he is. What's his claim to fame? I didn't see the show.

Jose Eber came from France in the 60's. He had apprenticed for years there. Long story shorter. He worked in a salon with others, then opened his own salon in Beverly Hills, off Rodeo. His claim to fame was celebrity hair! He began the Farrah Fawcett hair cut, and many others. In the 70's a haircut called the "lioness", and "shag" was soooo popular. He had a method of brushing the long hair up into sort of a ponytail, then whacking the hair off at a certain point in one swipe! Then the layering would appear, and you would go in and clean it up. He has always done Cher (when she had hair) Barbra, Farrah, Liz Taylor and many, many others. His real claim to fame is his talent with bone structure, of the face. He creates a cut for the person and their facial structure. He always wants you to look like you, and not use somebody else's hair cut.

farrah 1970. EVERYONE wanted a Farrah cut just about. But few actually got the right cut!

this was the photo that launched a million ships

Sorry, but he did not do the Farrah haircut . He did Jaclyn Smith's haircut and still does her hair which I still love. I thought he did Farrah's hair also until I looked it up and some other male hairdresser made it famous it wasn't him.

Super Contributor
On 2/27/2014 pink dogwood said:

Ms Seattle I beg to differ. It was Ms Lucci with Mr Eber - apparently before your time. I've no idea who Fernando is/was but I know this is not the person.

I'm going to differ right back, pink dogwood. :-)

Here's a clip of Susan on QVC's Fashion Channel selling the product with Fernando -- around 13:30 minutes in.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yZqvq6-pdJ4

And from a piece about Fernando:

As a true artisan, Fernando felt strongly that the hair must be , and professionals must have the best tools and products, to produce their best work. This drive lead him to develop the Fernando Romero Professional Hair Care Products line, which sold successfully in his Beverly Hills Salon and fine salons internationally. The popular daytime TV actress, Susan Lucci was so impressed with the results of his products, she approached Fernando to develop The Susan Lucci Collection, a personal line of hair care products that sold exclusively on the QVC Network. Today, Fernando is dedicated to bringing a revolutionary technology to hair care with the introduction of the Bio Ionic Professional Hair Care System.

http://interhair.com/print.php?action=show&link_id=513

EDIT to add: I looked for a Susan Lucci/Jose Eber connection but got no hits. If you can provide a link showing she worked with JE, I will happily stand corrected.

Frequent Contributor

Jose Eber hair appliances on Amazon.com

Super Contributor
On 2/27/2014 shoekitty said:
On 2/26/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 2/26/2014 scottygal said:

OMG! Blast from my past! I always wanted him to do my hair....it was my biggest fantasy (back in the day). I think he was the first to cut hair for your face and bone structure. Ahead of his time. Ordered his spray just for fun.... want to see his presentations.

And his color! I had a book (it must have been the Shake Your Head Darling) showing before and afters. UNBELIEVABLE! Not only, as you say, cuts that were individualized - not just slap out a Dorothy Hamill wedge, but cuts that made your face come alive. And the most breathtaking, SURPRISING colors. Again, just made the face come alive. I would LOVE to put my head in his hands!

maren

ITA about color. He just his gifted. He has this thing where if you look at the after photos there will be this thin, low lighted, or highlighted strand that follows a curl or line of the hair style to totally accentuate the fall of the hair. Sometimes he will highlight or lowlight the tips of bangs, or around the face to show off your eyes of skin.

I admire his work.

A real artist. The only bit I caught on HSN was some hairspray (on dry hair?) and he just mushed it around this model's head and she had a TOTALLY different look! Most stylists show show their product and the model looks great in the After, but you can tell it's the same style, just a lot better. With Jose, it looked like she had a totally different cut!! And looked around 20 years younger! I'd better hie on over and watch the videos!

Esteemed Contributor

What I always noticed about Jose' doing hair is that he always actually looked at the person's face, styling hair to flatter her particular features. Have you ever noticed someone doing your hair and giving you just a particular style paying no attention to the face and hair....

Honored Contributor

"Jose Eber created the wings that propelled both he and Farrah into hairstyle fame.

When word got around Hollywood circles that it was Eber who created the feathered coif, he got a call from cher who wanted him to work his magic on her. He then did Elizabeth Taylor's hair and the word continued to spread. Now, of course, Jose Eber is well known as the hairdresser to the stars.

Though Eber has made his living making the beautiful more beautiful, his philosophy is that he simply shows them the beauty that was there all along."

Butterfly,

Eber is responsible for Farrah's iconic hairstyle. He cut her hair! The kick back wing look. But he styled it forward as well. He also di a straight, smooth style on her. But somehow the wings took the public by storm, and it became her trademark. He did not do her hair for a few of her famous pictures (like the bathing suit pic). That was styling on the set by the photographer. Jose did her hair for over 30 years. In fact she was his one of his first celebrity clients, but she wasn't really that hot at the time. This was before he opened his own salon on Rodeo. I know her did her hair for a fact. He did not do her hair for filming, as she used a lot stylist like everyone else, and often she did her own hair. Whether another stlist shampooed and styled her hair for filming, or a photoshoot. The cut and color was his. JMHO.

Honored Contributor
On 2/27/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 2/27/2014 pink dogwood said:

I'm going to differ right back, pink dogwood. :-)

Here's a clip of Susan on QVC's Fashion Channel selling the product with Fernando -- around 13:30 minutes in.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yZqvq6-pdJ4

And from a piece about Fernando:

As a true artisan, Fernando felt strongly that the hair must be , and professionals must have the best tools and products, to produce their best work. This drive lead him to develop the Fernando Romero Professional Hair Care Products line, which sold successfully in his Beverly Hills Salon and fine salons internationally. The popular daytime TV actress, Susan Lucci was so impressed with the results of his products, she approached Fernando to develop The Susan Lucci Collection, a personal line of hair care products that sold exclusively on the QVC Network. Today, Fernando is dedicated to bringing a revolutionary technology to hair care with the introduction of the Bio Ionic Professional Hair Care System.

http://interhair.com/print.php?action=show&link_id=513

EDIT to add: I looked for a Susan Lucci/Jose Eber connection but got no hits. If you can provide a link showing she worked with JE, I will happily stand corrected.

I bought into the Susan Lucci shampoo, around 1992 LOL, and Susan marketed it under her name. Fernando's name was on the bottle somewhere though!. Fernando Romero had created the product. He worked for V. Sassoon and was trained by him in the BH salon. I think Fernando took his line back and created his new line Bio-something. I forgot the whole name, but remember the Bio part! LOL. I don't think Jose ever marketed his shampoo under another name. I think (but could be wrong on dates) he started marketing his own shampoo in the 2000's.

I have to honest, all those celbrity shampoos are the same to me. But I have an illness, and buy them to try. LOL! They just appeal to certain hair types. I think Susan's shampoo was good if you had undamaged hair. I have to use Deva Curl myself, and my hair has gone old and bonkers.

One celebrity stylist does make a good product for curly hair, I bought it in his salon. Juan Juan. Hahah. He pronounces it shawn shawn. Who knew? LOL!

Frequent Contributor

Jose Eber indeed had a line of hair products, in the 90s I think. I used a shampoo and conditioner and I bought them at his salon. My sister, friend and I all used his products for a while. I think then his products were available in drugstores.