Valued Contributor

Re: Joan Rivers - hair powder - any users?

I love this product and have used it for years.  I am almost 59 and still have very dark brown hair.  I use this powder to keep my part from looking so stark white against my brown hair.  It just fills in any spots that look too white.   It will get on your hands if you scratch your head where it is applied but otherwise stays put until you wash your scalp.

Great product.  I use the brunette. It works best with my hair color.

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

I purchased it when I lost hair after a major illness. The strong scent lasted and I found it far too dark for my light blonde hair. I tossed it...

I bought the Blonde color to touch up my roots when I colored my hair (medium brown). Any of the brown shades would definitely have been too dark.  I never noticed any scent, so I just went and smelled mine and it has only a very, very faint scent.  But it is old, as they last a long time, so the scent may have faded. And I didn't use a very large amount. 

I find it works great on my eyebrows.

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 I have Joan River's Hair Powder for a while, but I really didn't need it for my hairline (I got it as a gift).  But thanks to your post about using it on your brows.  I tried it today on my brows with a tiny brush.  And it works really well and looks great! I'll be using it as a brow powder now. Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudencewrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

I purchased it when I lost hair after a major illness. The strong scent lasted and I found it far too dark for my light blonde hair. I tossed it...

I bought the Blonde color to touch up my roots when I colored my hair (medium brown). Any of the brown shades would definitely have been too dark.  I never noticed any scent, so I just went and smelled mine and it has only a very, very faint scent.  But it is old, as they last a long time, so the scent may have faded. And I didn't use a very large amount. 

I find it works great on my eyebrows.

@DearPrudence When I received mine it smelled like cheap perfume..kind of like Febreeze. It lingered too. The blonde did nothing and looked dark. I am naturally a medium blonde but color my hair to a light, tawny blonde.

Some of the reviews on Amazon complained about the heavy scent. I should have listened.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 and @DearPrudence

I didn't notice any scent when I used mine on my brows just earlier today. After reading your posts, I held it up really close to sniff it, and it does have a very faint scent.  But everyone reacts to scents different. To me, it is barely noticeable.

Honored Contributor

I  use the salt & pepper shade by JoanCat Very Happy.  I like it very much.  It's very easy to apply. It's like an eye shadow powder but it's for the scalp.  It comes with the brush.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I dont notice any scent to this at all.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1: I've used it to cover gray between salon visits. Yes, it works! However, I've since switched to any brand of spray root cover, simply b/c it's easier. Loreal is good, affordable, and easy to find.

If you're using it for thinning hair, I don't think you have anything to lose by trying some spray! After all, I've heard the experts say that it's not the missing hair, but rather the scalp showing through that is the concern. Good luck to you, and let us know!

Honored Contributor

@panda1234wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 I too use to have a mop of hair, no more. I do use this product and it is very good, lasts for a long time. I also use it on my brows, a little goes a long way. My hair is med brown and I have the blond, a good match. 

@panda1234

It's sickening, isn't it??  I am glad this product works for you.  But you say your hair is brown and you use the blond --- the product must be darker --- wonder if I can use it??

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopperwrote:

I've been using it for years and love it!  I've tried others, but they just don't compare.  Others either have fibers that attach to the hair and make it crunchy, or the powder is too slick and it just slides on the scalp, or they are fine on application, but wear off before the end of the day. 

Great Hair Day applies easy, lasts all day, and my hair is still soft.  I have short, dark brown hair so I get the brunette shade.  I started using it because I have always had thin edges around my hairline.  Now in my mid-fifties I have just started getting a little grey hair on the temples.  It's not much, so it looks like lint to me! A tiny bit of hair powder covers it up beautifully.  A tiny bit!

@Caaareful Shopper

Wonderful!  It's the little things!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin