Trusted Contributor

I seldom come to the beauty board so I apologize if this is repetitious but I was wondering if the Great Hair Day product is really any different than using eye shadow?  And if it is, would you suggest going lighter than my natural color or darker (if I can't match my natural color)?  I'm really starting to see bare scalp and want to cover it. Thanks in advance!  I know this product gets rave reviews.

Regular Contributor

Re: Joan River's Great Hair Day

I use Great hair day. I have medium brown hair and am using blonde and it covers well.I don't use the brush but instead use a cotton ball or tissue to apply the product. 

Honored Contributor

A neighbor of mine with salt and pepper hair used silver eyeshadow she purchased for $1.99.  Depending on how much of your scalp is beginning to show, you might want to buy several if you're buying the narrow rectangles.  

She tried Joan Rivers for grey hair, but it had too much brown in it making it look like she had dark roots.  For the price, it would have cost her a fortune to use everyday had it worked.

I saw her after she used both Joan Rivers powder and the silver powdered eyeshadow.  Couldn't believe the difference.  Looked so natural.  

However, if you are losing your hair, you should find out why?  It could be medical or female pattern baldness.  If it's female pattern baldness you can use Hairmax or Rogaine or both that do work on many people.  Just don't wait too long because older hair loss will not grow back.  

Honored Contributor

I've used this product before.  It worked well for me.

I have (or had) brown hair.  I would use it every now and then.

Super Contributor

I have bleached blonde hair and I use dark brown. I only use it when I wash my hair. It is on my scalp, all the time.

Honored Contributor

I used it for many, many years when my hair was so thin. Put it on my scalp and it covered the bare spots really well and it stays put even if you sweat. Need to shampoo it out....it won't budge otherwise. I wouldn't leave the house without it on my scalp. There's a reason why GHD has been a customer pick for many years running...it's that good.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I used it for many, many years when my hair was so thin. Put it on my scalp and it covered the bare spots really well and it stays put even if you sweat. Need to shampoo it out....it won't budge otherwise. I wouldn't leave the house without it on my scalp. There's a reason why GHD has been a customer pick for many years running...it's that good.

I have pale blonde, almost white hair and I use the light blonde every day. I have been thinking about buying the white to see about mixing w/ the light blonde, but have not done that yet.

For me, I use product on my bang area and I do along the part line of my hair. It takes some practice to get comfortable w/ this product. One thing I do is take a bit of hair on each side of part line and dab on the product. Then also I do the part line. Afterwards, I take a fine tooth comb and make sure and comb thru product. Then I style hair and this stuff stays on thru just about anything. I do think it's better than eyeshadow. I do not try to do my whole head --- just the part and my bangs.

Good luck. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

I loved the Joan River's Great Hair Day, but I confess, when I ran out, I used white eye shadow. I don't know if it lasts as long but it seems to work!

And now I"m just rarely use it because I've been taking biotin 10,000 a day and that has improved things a lot!

My preference would be to go with the color of the hair closest to your scalp.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

The Toppik hair fiber product worked so much better than the JR product.  It has fibers that acutally thicken the hair.   So much easier to use.

Honored Contributor

I have salt and pepper hair so there is only one choice.  You need to look at the shades offered and decide what would look better as roots.  I am thinking darker but if the shades run darker you may go lighter.  I know with eyebrows it is go lighter.

kindness is strength