Honored Contributor

Re: Jill Martin's new fragrance....Potion 54...

@fitfuninformed wrote:

@BrandiDavis I have a better word to describe her, but I cannot disclose here.  We here in New York use the code "local Canadian's" to describe her tribe.

@fitfuninformed  Well, I’m here in NY and don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m not sticking up for the Gili lady as I don’t think I have ever seen her presenting things.

Respected Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@maximillian wrote:

@San Antonio Gal 

Fiance, please. It might seem like I am being picky, but please stay with this explanation. FIANCE is the guy. FIANCEE is the girl.  I believe the derivation is from the French language that has ways of making words masculine and feminine.  I'm just trying to be helpful, not snarky.

Who cares we know what she meant. 

I care. I like being accurate whenever possible. I think it's too bad you don't feel that accuracy is important. 

I also took French for years and notice this misuse happens often. I also see "walla" used instead of "voila."

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@maximillian wrote:

@San Antonio Gal 

Fiance, please. It might seem like I am being picky, but please stay with this explanation. FIANCE is the guy. FIANCEE is the girl.  I believe the derivation is from the French language that has ways of making words masculine and feminine.  I'm just trying to be helpful, not snarky.

Who cares we know what she meant. 

I care. I like being accurate whenever possible. I think it's too bad you don't feel that accuracy is important. 

I also took French for years and notice this misuse happens often. I also see "walla" used instead of "voila."

@Alison Wonderland   Just me but I would never correct posters on this board or in real life. Do you do this in real life when speaking to people? 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I cared about them I would because I wouldn't want them to make the mistake in a situation where it mattered. It's no different than warning a friend she has spinach in her teeth before making a presentation at work. I always want my friends to be the best they can be, @proudlyfromNJ.

I probably would have said it more tactfully than it was done here, but yes, I'd correct a friend who made an error. I did it at work last month when someone repeated a story about Dengue Fever and called it Ben Gay Fever. I just made sure I pronounced the right way several times in my reply to her and she got it without my even having to say she made an error. She said, "Oh my gosh, is that what it is? I thought it was Ben Gay Fever."  She was about to go tell the story to her manager and my correcting her prevented her from making the same mistake in front of someone who is writing her review this month.

Trusted Contributor

Ah, me!!!!! Sigh!!!!!