Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

Wasn't their a song years ago "Gypsy in my Soul"?  

Totally. And Fleetwood Mac had a major hit song called "Gypsy." It's lovely. And there was a blockbuster musical and movie called "Gypsy" about the famous burlesque queen Gypsy Rose Lee and her stage mom.

The company that makes the perfume is based in Sweden, so I'm guessing they wouldn't know the context for the term.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure it's a lovely scent, although pricey.

Honored Contributor

Yes, the scent is pricey and I would not purchase for that price.  The name is no big deal to me.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

I have a neighbor and her given name is Gypsey, and I LOVE 

it.

It isn't a Slur, not in MY book or heart anyway!!!

Super Contributor

The term "gypsy" has been used to refer to the Romani peoples and is considered a slur against them, bringing up all the stereotypes that go along with it. I believe it comes from the old idea that the "Gypsies" immigrating to Europe and the British Isles centuries ago originated from Eygpt. Now it's believed they originated from northern India.

It of course now also refers to a free spirit. Complicated history I guess making it a word with many meanings.

My little girl is part Romani, so it's something I've ended up reading about a fair amount.

*Note: I also dressed up as a "gypsy" fortune teller for Halloween when I was a kid.

Honored Contributor

do gypsy's smell like this?

Honored Contributor

Prior to when a new scent comes out, the design of the bottle is very important, a name that is remembered.  It's all about marketing the product and making money.  I remember when I participated in a marketing session where I was paid for my input on a perfume that was being introduced.  The bottle was discussed, the name.  There were about 15 women at this session.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Gypsy a slur? This is a first for me.  I teach at a university where all of the staff and faculty have been undergoing hours of mandatory "sensitivity training" and gypsy has not appeared on our long list of slurs or potential slurs.   

The name of the perfume aside, I've yet to smell any fragrance so dear I would pay $165.00 for 1.7 oz.   

Honored Contributor

I'm not interested in celebrity perfumes, etc.  

Contributor

I love this fragrance!  It's light, fresh, and lasts for a long, long time. I was able to snag a bottle on sale thru Zullilly dot com.  They have daily specials of different items and you can find fine fragrances at a lower price from time to time.