Honored Contributor

I read about this in a magazine.  It starts at $165 for 1.7 oz.

Top:  Bergamont, lemon, pepper, juniper berries

Middle:  Incense, pine needles, orris

Base:  Amber, vanilla, sandalwood

BYREDO Gypsy Water Eau de Parfum, Main, color, NO COLOR

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I'll bet it smells amazing with those ingredients.  Whenever I see Bergamont as an ingredient, I think of Tova, which I always loved. 

Alas, way to pricey for me. 

Honored Contributor

I bet it smells really good.....Too pricey for me however, but I would love to smell it and try a sample......

Honored Contributor

Many people don't know this, but gypsy is an ethnic slur. It didn't used to be considered offensive, so it's understandable that many of us say or have said it without meaning anything negative. But nowadays, although many won't know or care at all, others may get the wrong idea about your intentions if you use the term.

I only found out about this last year! I've also found that it doesn't hamper my communications at all to just use vagabond or drifter or free spirit or hippie instead. Also instead of saying gyp, jyp, or jip, I say cheat or steal.

Learn something new every day. And if you still want to continue using the term, bless you. (this is not directed at the OP, who is just talking about an interesting perfume with an outdated name)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I was just coming on to say that Gypsy is indeed a slur.  If I know this, I cannot believe everyone (oh, like, perfume manufacturers, for instance) doesn't..  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I would imagine she is going for the "free spirit" of the dictionary definition for Gypsy.  For myself I do not think it is a slur.  "Middle age Woman" could be considered a slur if said with a certain tone and context.  Anything can for that matter. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Well, I certainly had no idea the term gypsy was considered a slur. 

There are several tv series which contain this word:

🎈A Gypsy Life for Me

🎈American Gypsies

🎈Gypsy Sisters

🎈My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding

Respected Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

Well, I certainly had no idea the term gypsy was considered a slur. 

There are several tv series which contain this word:

🎈A Gypsy Life for Me

🎈American Gypsies

🎈Gypsy Sisters

🎈My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding

thank you, i was just going to say the exact same thing.  if it is such common knowledge that it is a slur, why would a big company be naming thier purfume this? don't thay have people who check these things? 

Honored Contributor

I figured now it would be considered a "slur" even though it wasn't years ago.  I borrowed a costume to wear for Halloween  when I was a kid -- it was a gypsy costume.

Honored Contributor

Wasn't their a song years ago "Gypsy in my Soul"?