Honored Contributor

JULEP TSV VS GEL MANICURE

[ Edited ]

Now that I'm painting more than making jewelry, my nails are a mess after cleaning/scrubbing my hands. What's involved with a gel manicure? Damaging to the nails? I've NEVER had a salon manicure. 🤪

Respected Contributor

Re: JULEP TSV VS GEL MANICURE

My personal experience was that the gel manicure was really hard on my nails.  I don't have good nails to start with so I thought I'd try this before going on vacation.  When I got home I went back to the salon to remove the polish and my nails split & peeled forever!  I would never do that again.  I'm trying the Julep kit to see how it works.  

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine   Oh wow, sorry to hear that. My good old Sally Hansen is keeping my nails from breaking, but peels off when using some of the components in acrylic paints. I figured gels would be the answer, but don't want to damage my nails. I used to wear doc gloves...can't find them anywhere now!!!

Respected Contributor

I do a lot of sewing & crafting and it takes a toll on my nails.  Maybe the Julep will help.

Honored Contributor

I love the look of gel manicures but stopped getting them because they damaged my nails too much. it's not something I'd recommend because afresh the polish came off they were in worse shape then before 

Esteemed Contributor

It's been 6 months since I've been gelled. It's finally all grown off. My nails are still splitting on the tips and look ridged or have striations....not sure how to explain it.  Have been using Sally Hansen Hard As Nails nail strenghener. I keep clipping the tips back in the hopes they'll be getting stronger as they continue to grow out. Time will tell

Never going back to gel. Shanus...DON'T DO IT.

Respected Contributor

Nail beds become weaker with gel manicures. Nails can become dry and brittle. The most important thing to consider is the potential uv light damage. Short nails are "in" for the fall. Keep yours short and we'll manicured with a clear or soft color nail polish so chipping will not stand out. Try a professional manicure, even for short nails. There is a difference.

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine Sorry that happened to you.

I was lucky.  At the time gel was becoming popular, I had a great nail tech.  She tried the gel on her nails and then told me she wouldn't use it on me --  because I have genetically bad nails and she felt gel would be a disaster for me.  Sounds as if she was right.

@brandiwine wrote:

My personal experience was that the gel manicure was really hard on my nails.  I don't have good nails to start with so I thought I'd try this before going on vacation.  When I got home I went back to the salon to remove the polish and my nails split & peeled forever!  I would never do that again.  I'm trying the Julep kit to see how it works.  

was becomiopular, my nail tech

Honored Contributor

@Shanus - I've had one once. My nails are pretty strong, like my mom's were, and other women have asked me about them. They are always surprised when I say I do them myself! I do like to play and I change colors a lot. When we travel I bring all of my polishes, tools, and remover in case one chips. 

We were going on a trip and flying. I didn't want to worry about my nails. Every one of my friends who gets gel manicures loves them and said the color will be perfect for at least two weeks. So I got one. My long nails looked great, but I kept feeling SOMETHING was on top of my nails. It just felt strange, and I couldn't wait to get them off! Mine lasted almost a month. When I went to get them off, the procedure wasn't an easy one. I got a regular manicure and felt more like myself!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

For me, the gel manicure was beautiful while it was on, but it totally damaged my nails getting it off. 

I am actually in the process right now waiting for my nails to fully grow out.  They are terribly thin and splitting while I wait for this nightmare to be over.  I keep applying nail strengthener until they grow out completely, but they keep splitting and chipping anyway, so I have to re-apply often.