QVC Customer Care

Re: JOSIE, MARY BETH...FATAL MISTAKE!!!! DOGS

Hi @skittles2 thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. We have forwarded your concerns to our Product Information Department for research. I can certainly understand your concern.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Why would they even suggest that?  Do dogs' noses get dry?

Yes they do.  

Honored Contributor

@skittles2 

I know that many retailers say pretty much anything to sell their product, but when you suggest a product for use on pets, that could not only sicken them, but have catastrophic results, that's really crossing a lot of lines in my mind.

Thank you for trying to inform QVC of the facts/truth re: their statement, it's a shame that you were ignored and paints QVC in a whole new light to me, after shopping here for over 25 years.

Kudos to you for bringing this important issue to light!Heart

And shame, shame, shame on QVC for not caring enough to correct it.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pure macadamia nut oil and the nuts themselves are toxic to dogs just like grapes and raisins are.  

One lick of this lotion, that is diluted with other ingredients, isn't going to do anything to a dog just like one raisin or grape is going to do anything to your dog.

That being said, since the oil is toxic to dogs, I do not think Josie should be advocating that this product be put on a dog where they can ingest it.  You never know how much people are going to put on their dog and how often.  

But then, the legal department still allows Josie to stand there and talk about her products not containing petrolatum and continue on about how that is stuff you use in your car motor and gas take.  That is absolutely not true.  There is cosmetic grade petrolatum that is different from motor oil.   

Honored Contributor

@santorini wrote:

I love pets too but with all due respect, there are lots of other ingredients in her products.  It’s not as if it’s pure macadamia sauce so if a dog were to lick a spot where the cream had been thinly smeared, i highly doubt there would be a cause for concern. That’s probably why they are not going to interrupt their normal programming schedule to announce a warning.  

@santorini 

With the same due respect, it doesn't have to be "pure" for any ingredient deemed harmful or poisonous to animals to have an adverse effect on an animal's health.

That depends on the animals age, size and general health.

"Macadamia nuts, although not usually an everyday food, are often found in baked goods, including cakes, cookies, muffins, and even trail mix. Are they safe for dogs?

Absolutely not! In fact, macadamia nuts are often listed as among the top human foods to avoid giving your dog. The consequences of eating macadamia nuts include vomiting, ataxia, weakness, hyperthermia, and depression.

Veterinarians and researchers have not identified what causes this particular food to be toxic to dogs; it’s perfectly safe for humans and has not been seen to affect cats.

As with grapes and raisins, we just do not know the specific toxin or mechanism of biological action that causes the signs of poisoning. But what we do know is that even a small amount of the nuts can cause severe symptoms. A dog can show symptoms from eating as little as 1/10 of an ounce per roughly 2 pounds of body weight. So, if you’re thinking of giving your dog just a little taste, don’t."

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/can-dogs-eat-macadamia-nuts/

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr   Usually when a dog's nose is dry it very well may be an indicator they're not feeling well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skittles2   Thank you for posting this.  Personally, I would never put anything on dogs that wasn't made for that purpose and/or recommended by my Vet.  I think that's very important.  I do put something on my dog's nose, but it's specifically made for that purpose.  I use Bag Balm in a tube, which you can order from Chewy.  It's for dog's noses and paw pads.  @MalteseMomma   you might like this, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma 

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@skittles2 

OMG,Thank you so much. I always put Infinity oil on my precious Maltie.

I put it on his feet in winter,on his belly after every bath,cause he  LICKS his belly so much after a bath and on any other part that may need it.

I have been doing this for years.I did not know it could hurt him,I thought it was safe and pure.

OMG,Thank you so much for telling us this priceless info

GOD BLESS YOU @skittles2 

HeartHeartHeart

You're so welcome.

My heart skipped a beat for your little Maltie and you. Thank goodness he's ok. Imagine those that don't know, and still don't know, AND worse, think it's ok because of today's show, and probably many other shows from Vendors/Hosts, and callers who've stated what they've done and callers saying what they do with products on their pets, and what vendors/hosts say they do with other skin, body, hair products.

Kisses to your sweet guyHeart

Cat Very HappyHeartCat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Trusted Contributor

@santorini wrote:

I love pets too but with all due respect, there are lots of other ingredients in her products.  It’s not as if it’s pure macadamia sauce so if a dog were to lick a spot where the cream had been thinly smeared, i highly doubt there would be a cause for concern. That’s probably why they are not going to interrupt their normal programming schedule to announce a warning.  

@santorini 

NOT true!  Call Vet Poison Control yourself. They knew exactly what was in the product, they look up the product, any product, they said there is no safe amount,  can effect any size dog, no matter their weight or metabolism. 

Who would you be comfortable with their little one's life with any amount when they tell you that? Not me. Spend hours at a Vet Hospital and you'll be amazed how many poisonings come in, many don't make it.

products-  home/yard, foods,drinks,  personal - bath, body, makeup.

Trusted Contributor

@Allegheny 

Thank you for calling!   I will.