Trusted Contributor

that the QVC host just stated that the It Eyeliner Trio (A303980)  she was presenting was voted number one by you, our customers. I just checked the reviews and it's rated 2.9, with more 1 star reviews than 5 star reviews.  It guess it doesn't pay to listen to the hosts as this is much more than just stretching the truth.  It pays to check the reviews!

Honored Contributor

Oh yes, checking the reviews are a must before a purchase, those hosts will say anything to make a sale.

Esteemed Contributor

I check the reviews... always.  And then I search elsewhere for a better price.  Or I wait for clearance or AS IS.

Trusted Contributor

Voting and reviews are two different things..

Honored Contributor

And we're right back to that old saw -   caveat emptor.   Expecting a seller to tell you what's bad about a product -  nah.  Almost never happens.

I don't think the hosts are lying, but the reviewers and the voters are not the same set of people. In the reviewers' set there are people who are pleased with the product and those who are not; however, people who are displeased are much more likely to write reviews than those who are pleased.  The voters are only those who are pleased -  there's no way to cast a negative vote..  

The more we understand what they're doing though, the better our own decisions. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't really believe it's a real contest.  It's merely a sales contest.  I assume those vendors bringing in the most monies to the Q are the ones entered and whomever rakes in the most, winner!

And yes, voting and reviews are two different creatures.  However, imho, there should be some alignment.  Just goes to proves my point - it's bogus!

Honored Contributor

I never buy anything without first reading reviews Smiley Very Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

I don't really believe it's a real contest.  It's merely a sales contest.  I assume those vendors bringing in the most monies to the Q are the ones entered and whomever rakes in the most, winner!

And yes, voting and reviews are two different creatures.  However, imho, there should be some alignment.  Just goes to proves my point - it's bogus!

@eddyandme  ITA to your post.  I don't mind that the QVC Beauty Awards are restricted to only beauty products sold by QVC.  That only makes sense since the entire farce is a marketing ploy to showcase their popular (best selling) beauty products.  That said, I do wish they would realize that it probably wouldn't swing the votes too much if they left a place to write-in a choice in each category.  They might even be surprised to see how much love some of their under presented products have among their customers.  Maybe those products would sell a higher volume if they were aired with more frequency.   Call it in sight/in mind retailing.  I'll bet many of us frequently buy cosmetics when we visit a department or beauty store, even if we didn't plan to buy anything, because we SEE it.      

Esteemed Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@eddyandme  ITA to your post.  I don't mind that the QVC Beauty Awards are restricted to only beauty products sold by QVC.  That only makes sense since the entire farce is a marketing ploy to showcase their popular (best selling) beauty products.  That said, I do wish they would realize that it probably wouldn't swing the votes too much if they left a place to write-in a choice in each category.  They might even be surprised to see how much love some of their under presented products have among their customers.  Maybe those products would sell a higher volume if they were aired with more frequency.   Call it in sight/in mind retailing.  I'll bet many of us frequently buy cosmetics when we visit a department or beauty store, even if we didn't plan to buy anything, because we SEE it.      

Exactly.  You nailed it @Trix!  As you stated, write-ins would give the buyers a better idea of what the consumer wants; perhaps, even expanding the Q's income and viewership and eventually increasing their bottom line!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@eddyandme

The best products are often not even in the contest. The winners are whoever the Q wants to promote. It has nothing to do with who we might want to vote for. It has been many years since I bothered to even look at who they list to vote for. It is just another fake way to market products.