Contributor

This is my first thread, so please be gentle with me {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}!! I have pretty oily skin (but dry too sometimes, weird stuff). I wore this cc cream, it seemed to wear pretty well, but in 3ish hours, I got pretty oily. I blotted, it helped. I liked the coverage and feeling of it on my skin (plus the great sunscreen factor), but have a question. Since there are skin care ingredients in it, can the ingredients work if you put a primer on first? Isn't one of the purposes of primer to keep a barrier between your skin and your makeup? Would there be any benefits from the skincare built into the cc cream that would get into your skin, or would the primer hold the benefits back?

Thank you ladies...guess I'm looking for opinions, and trying to justify keeping it?!?!

Honored Contributor

Re: It cc cream and primers?

Good job on your first thread! I think you raise a valid point. I don't know how they do it, but in the mixture of the CC Cream there's supposed to be a primer with the skincare ingredients so you technically don't need an additional primer. I didn't necessarily purchase my IT TSV for the skincare benefits alone, but more for the coverage. Even so, it's nice to get the benefits. Your hypothesis makes sense though, if an additional primer is sealing in something then it's also creating a barrier to something else. Depending on the situation, I'll sometimes use an additional primer prior to my CC Cream, but most of the time I don't.

If I could suggest something....I used to have combo skin. Everything looked great initially, but with the oily t-zone my makeup didn't last all day. Once I changed my skincare routine and started doing oil cleansing, my natural oil production stabilized so my makeup application lasts all day unless the dog licks me or I do something and rub it off. I'm saying this as a suggestion that you might want to think about your skincare before giving up on the IT CC Cream.

Contributor

Thank you JLF...I've seen you post often! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought this made sense.

The oil cleansing method...I am aware of it! Got some cleansing oil (I think from Wei East-supposed to be good...), but have chickened out in using it! It seems like a lot of things break me out, call me a frady cat(spelling-who knows!)!!! But, the only way to find out is to try, great to hear about your good experience. Did you have any initial breakouts after using the OCM? At my age (gonna be a whole year older tomorrow...eeks!), I shouldn't have to deal with all these spots on my face! It's been a lifelong battle.{#emotions_dlg.scared}!

Honored Contributor

I honestly don't know anything about Wei East (the ingredients and such). I'm using a camellia cleansing oil - 2 pumps applied to a dry face, massage it in, add a little water and massage some more, then wipe off using a warm, wet washcloth. I didn't experience any real breakout with the switch, but I can tell you with my new skincare routine if a new zit pops up, it doesn't hang around very long. I'm really loving oil cleansing and enzyme powder exfoliation.

Happy Birthday, tomorrow!

Contributor

I have oily skin and the IT CC cream is a fail for me. Just like you, after a couple of hours it started streaking off my face. I've tried it with a primer underneath and a setting powder and nothing helped it to wear longer. I loved the coverage so I really wanted it to work, but it just doesn't for oily skin. I have found Tarte's BB primer and it's wonderful. It's oil free and mattifyjng with really good coverage. It wears all day for me. Give it a try.
Super Contributor

I have combination skin and I use cornstarch to set my makeup. Some say that cornstarch will clog your pores but I have not had an issue with it. I have found that a dab of cornstarch will dry up a zit for me much faster. You can also use arrowroot powder or look for a setting powder that has cornstarch in it. I love it on my forehead because otherwise my bangs get oily. I think that a primer would keep the benefits from the cc getting to your skin. Also I do not brush my setting powder, I use a puff and dab it on. Then when all done take a brush and lightly go over your skin.

Contributor

JLF-That's right! I just remembered...I had gotten the Wei East (with camellia oil), and some of that Fleur de Lis enzyme powder after you had raved about it so much (when people were talking about the Tatcha oil and enzyme rice powder, but it was so expensive, you'd found and liked this other combo so much). I had tried the powder a few times, but didn't give it very long, did like it tho. Short attention span is a remark I resemble! I will try that combo for a week, fingers crossed no new spots! Thank you for the good wishes Smiley Happy Best wishes to you too, hope everything is ok and sending happy thoughts your way...

Nickel05-I did want this IT cc to work, but going to play around with it a little bit. I did love the coverage, it felt nice and love the super high spf. Glad I have a little time to play with it more!!!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/20/2014 Nickel05 said: I have oily skin and the IT CC cream is a fail for me. Just like you, after a couple of hours it started streaking off my face. I've tried it with a primer underneath and a setting powder and nothing helped it to wear longer. I loved the coverage so I really wanted it to work, but it just doesn't for oily skin. I have found Tarte's BB primer and it's wonderful. It's oil free and mattifyjng with really good coverage. It wears all day for me. Give it a try.

I could have written this post. My experience with both products is exactly the same as Nickel05's.

Contributor

This oily skin of mine has always driven me crazy. People used to always say that it'll keep wrinkles away, but for me it really hasn't. At least I should've gotten that benefit, wouldn't you think?!?!

Katluvr, I read on Makeup Alley people using cornstarch as a setting powder, it gets a very good rating with those peeps--some just absolutely adore it! I do have a tub of it in my cabinet, might have to pull it out and give it a try! I remember years ago using Cornsilk brand face powder, that stuff was the BOMB! For some reason it was discontinued, shed a little tear over that sad news. The consistency of cornstarch is so fine and soft, I can see why it might work. Thanks for the cornstarch endorsement!

Respected Contributor

I've been using IT CC since it came out: I love it! But I too, have an oil problem. When it's cold, I don't use primer but on a routine basis, I use Mally's primer or I use a primer by Neutrogena (I like the tube when I'm traveling). Jamie says her CC already has primer in it-which was one of the reasons I purchased it to begin with. She packed a lot of skin care products into her CC and I was using them and getting frustrated because I felt my time was being spent on skin care and then more time was being spent waiting for my skin to absorb it all. IT CC made putting on make-up fun again.

I have worn this in high heat and humidity, and I don't perspire, I sweat-profusely. IT CC stays on: I don't get streaking or gunking. That was a big issue for me because if a product sweats off, I don't want it.

Try the corn starch-see if it works. If it does not, Neutrogena primer is not expensive and works well-as does Mally's primer.

Have a great day,

Poodlepet