Respected Contributor

Re: It Cosmetics TSV African American women shut out again

I agree with you--my shoe size is not frequently sold (10.5) When I was a teen, it was 9.5. The next size up is too wide in the heel (sizes go up in width as well as length.)

So I don't buy shoes that don't fit.

Having said that, it seems that few lines carry deeps of darks and there are so many African-American ladies, Indian-American ladies, and others who have deep complexions. But few lines (and rarely the luxe lines) seem to carry anything that looks to me as if it would work if you are deeper than cafe-au-lait. 

Occasional Contributor

I think Ade is going to be part of the Eve Pearl presentation. I hope Eve will demo the Deep on her face.

Honored Contributor

@bbydol wrote:
They keep talking about Oprah and this product. None of those shades would match Oprah's skin color. So unfair. 6 shades in the TSV. One shade for African American women. We live in a multi-cultural society QVC. Your products need to represent everyone.

I agree.  I did purchase her makeup and it did not match my skin at all.  Lip sticks, same thing.  None of her lipsticks would look good on my skin tone.  Evine has a new line that was presented today for all skin tones.

Respected Contributor

Life is even less fair in the beauty business.......move on and find something that works for you. Nothing works for everyone, a disappointment of life.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Graydoxiechick wrote:

I think most cosmetic chains now have all shades, I don't think she means to discriminate.

Most cosmetics chains do NOT have "all shades," unfortunately. Take a look at the brands QVC offers and it's pretty obvious - they only offer a few brands, Bobbi Brown and Bare Minerals, that offer more than 6 shades. The worst was when Laura Geller called her Medium shade "Regular," which was awful.

Does she intend to discriminate? That's a loaded question. Is she doing it with harm intended? No, absolutely not. Is it harmful all the same? Yes. When you erase someone's identity by not even acknowledging that they exist, that is harmful, whether you intend it or not. It's a display of systemic discrimination.

@ChynnaBlue

Maybe I missed something here, but I seriously doubt that any vendor was trying to "erase the identity" of any QVC viewer!    That's a bit of an exaggeration.

First of all .....  QVC is NOT the only game in town.   There's a gazillion brick and mortar AND on line sites where a woman can order makeup.   Stopping by the local Ulta or Sephora stores might be the best place to start.    

Secondly, the vendor is not the bad guy here .....   they can make the PERFECT line of shades for women of color, and there's no guarantee that any store will give it shelf space, or that a shopping channel will approve all shades offered to be part of the sales presentation.   Vendors don't have the last word on this ... the retailer does.

Thirdly, IMO, it's counter productive to assume that any group was "shut out again".     Not every vendor on QVC can accomodate everyone's body, shoe size, makeup shade ... or whatever.  

IMO, It's always about the SALES NUMBERS ....  if a new shade of makeup is offered, and only a few dozen are purchased, it will be gone.    It's always about what sells best!

I'm not AA, but finding a pink-toned shade of Medium is also a huge PITA.     For many years now, I just mix my own makeup shades .... for me, it's the path of least resistance.  I'm not holding my breath waiting for someone to come up with the perfect shade for me;  I'll just do it myself!      

Super Contributor

@bbydol wrote:
They keep talking about Oprah and this product. None of those shades would match Oprah's skin color. So unfair. 6 shades in the TSV. One shade for African American women. We live in a multi-cultural society QVC. Your products need to represent everyone.

From news articles, the majority of babies 5 and under,born in the USA, are born to minorities so, by the time they're adults, the minority will be the majority.

We're talking 13- 12 years?

I know that doesn't help you now but in the very near future, the tables will be turned and there will be changes, makeup companies will follow the profit and will be courting the new majority.

It's a shame that they don't include all shades now.

And for those complaining that their shade of fair is not included, I am also sorry and I don't mean any disrespect but I don't see it as the same issue. But JMO

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Graydoxiechick wrote:

I think most cosmetic chains now have all shades, I don't think she means to discriminate.

Most cosmetics chains do NOT have "all shades," unfortunately. Take a look at the brands QVC offers and it's pretty obvious - they only offer a few brands, Bobbi Brown and Bare Minerals, that offer more than 6 shades. The worst was when Laura Geller called her Medium shade "Regular," which was awful.

Does she intend to discriminate? That's a loaded question. Is she doing it with harm intended? No, absolutely not. Is it harmful all the same? Yes. When you erase someone's identity by not even acknowledging that they exist, that is harmful, whether you intend it or not. It's a display of systemic discrimination.

@ChynnaBlue

Maybe I missed something here, but I seriously doubt that any vendor was trying to "erase the identity" of any QVC viewer!    That's a bit of an exaggeration.

First of all .....  QVC is NOT the only game in town.   There's a gazillion brick and mortar AND on line sites where a woman can order makeup.   Stopping by the local Ulta or Sephora stores might be the best place to start.    

Secondly, the vendor is not the bad guy here .....   they can make the PERFECT line of shades for women of color, and there's no guarantee that any store will give it shelf space, or that a shopping channel will approve all shades offered to be part of the sales presentation.   Vendors don't have the last word on this ... the retailer does.

Thirdly, IMO, it's counter productive to assume that any group was "shut out again".     Not every vendor on QVC can accomodate everyone's body, shoe size, makeup shade ... or whatever.  

IMO, It's always about the SALES NUMBERS ....  if a new shade of makeup is offered, and only a few dozen are purchased, it will be gone.    It's always about what sells best!

I'm not AA, but finding a pink-toned shade of Medium is also a huge PITA.     For many years now, I just mix my own makeup shades .... for me, it's the path of least resistance.  I'm not holding my breath waiting for someone to come up with the perfect shade for me;  I'll just do it myself!      

You conveniently forgot to bold the part where I wrote "Is she doing it with harm intended? No, absolutely not. Is it harmful all the same? Yes."

She's not trying to do it, but that's the result just the same. It's the same as refusing to serve a segment of the population based on skin color. It does not treat people with dignity, it's part of institutionalised racism, and it does erase people by refusing to acknowledge them. 

You make a good point, that it may not be the vendor who chooses, it could be QVC. That's the case with many brands who offer 12 or more shades while QVC only chooses to sell 5-6 of those shades. But It Cosmetics still only makes the same 5 shades for Ulta and Sephora, so in this case, it is It Cosmetics, not QVC, making the decision to only offer 5 colors.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

FYI: Stores don't give shelf space.  It is rented by the cosmetic company. Those big full counters occupied by brands such as Lancome costs millions annually, and even the limited shelf space given to a small brand in stores like Sephora and Ulta is part of the expense which send small brands running to big corporations for financial backing. The retailers don't care what colors they put in their space as long as it sells.  The only time including a wide range of shades for women of color would not make sense is in an area where that population may be less than 10%. Fortunately, there aren't that many places remaining in the United States with numbers that low, so.   

QVC chooses to offer foundation in a dumbed down manner.  I find it insulting even when they do step out and try to include many of the brands shades (such as with BareMinerals.  I haven't purchased a foundation as a single item product from QVC in years.  Even with the ones I do use, more often than not, my shade is not included in their inventory.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

First, I completely understand the OP. Everytime I see a new line or a new product and they show the shades available I always remember what my mother taught me. "Never force anyone to take your money, give it to those that want your business!"

Second, for those of you that are expressing the makeup is either too pink or yellow so therefore you arent covered either, thats not the same thing. ALL women of ALL races have reddish, neutral or yellow undertones so we havent even gotten to that step. There isnt even a base color to adjust! Thats the issue.

Third, stating that the colors offered to sell are based on the colors most often sold.....

I will just let you think about that one! If they are never offered (or exist), how could they sell well??

Fourth, these statements: 'there are companies for darker shades only, it doesnt bother me that I'm not included'...... I wonder why such companies need to exist? Could it be because darker skinned women werent included to begin with? I would hope people wouldnt get upset with the 10 companies doing only dark shades when you have access to far more that have you covered.

No, I dont think every company should have 60 colors to meet the needs of all of our shades but ONE shade for ALL darker skinned women in the US... come on!

I dont understand why this topic bothered so many of you. Some cosmetic companies are missing a nice portion of the market.

Personally, I use MAC.... like my mother said. If IT doesnt want my money, I will take it elsewhere. I also loved Fashion Fair for sometime, they havent kept up with my needs though. Bobbie Brown is one I want to try but MAC has me quite happy so it would have to be good.

#IAmTeamWen
Honored Contributor

@nikki48 wrote:

First, I completely understand the OP. Everytime I see a new line or a new product and they show the shades available I always remember what my mother taught me. "Never force anyone to take your money, give it to those that want your business!"

Second, for those of you that are expressing the makeup is either too pink or yellow so therefore you arent covered either, thats not the same thing. ALL women of ALL races have reddish, neutral or yellow undertones so we havent even gotten to that step. There isnt even a base color to adjust! Thats the issue.

Third, stating that the colors offered to sell are based on the colors most often sold.....

I will just let you think about that one! If they are never offered (or exist), how could they sell well??

Forth, therse statements: 'there are companies for darker shades only, it doesnt bother me that I'm not included'...... I wonder why such companies need to exist? Could it be because darker skinned women werent included to begin with? I would hope people wouldnt get upset with the 10 companies doing only dark shades when you have access to far more that have you covered.

No, I dont think every company should have 60 colors to meet the needs of all of our shades but ONE shade for ALL darker skinned women in the US... come on!

I dont understand why this topic bothered so many of you. Some cosmetic companies are missing a nice portion of the market.

Personally, I use MAC.... like my mother said. If IT doesnt want my money, I will take it elsewhere. I also loved Fashion Fair for sometime, they havent kept up with my needs though. Bobbie Brown is one I want to try but MAC has me quite happy so it would have to be good.

title

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland