Respected Contributor

Re: It Cosmetics TSV African American women shut out again

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I have fair to medium skin and can't get a perfect match!!!!!!  

Thankfully, there are other brands that work for me.  To complain about it on the world wide web is immature.

I have the same issue!  I am very fair, and almost all "fair" shades are TOO YELLOW for my skintone.

So, those of us in the lightest and darkest skintones are having the exact same problem!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Why is IT Cosmetics always that one being called out here? QVC sells many other brands with foundations that CLAIM to work for all shades, but they don't. Yet, I don't see the constant bashing of them the way I see IT.

There is no brand on QVC that offers me a match; NOT ONE. I am not going to hold my breath because I seriously doubt they every will. Why? More money making the "basic" shades that cover the majority of shades. The very dark, the very pale.... we don't have enough in our camp to make it profitable.

I'll go further and say that there is NO cosmetic company that makes a shade for me. Nope. Not HE nor DS. To dump on IT Cosmetics is pretty cr@py if you're not going to drag ALL the other companies into the fray. Do THEY make shades dark enough for those unhappy with IT?

If not, where are THOSE threads?

Contributor

Let me first say that I am astonished at the number of responses to my initial post.  Kudos to all of you for chiming in.  I must be clear that this post had nothing to do with race and in all fairness to It Cosmetics it should have been directed to many of the companies here at QVC.  I do find it somewhat insulting however in terms of It Cosmetics providing only one shade of foundation color to  women of color while offering 5 shades of color  to non-women of color.

I would like  the companies and QVC to offer a reasonable variety of makeup shades for all women and to make this a requrement that their vendors must  address  and ladies I have been purchasing makup probably longer than some of you have been walking the earth.  I am well aware of the variety of products available both on line and in brick/mortar.

If you don't raise an issue about things you feel strongly about there are no changes.

Trusted Contributor

@bbydol It had one of their employees posting yesterday under the Today's Special Value forum. When I read through that thread today, I noticed that there were several posters who advised the It rep that they did not have good shade choices for AA women. 

There has been one poster (CoG I think), who has been working hard to bring this to the attention of QVC.  

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I'm not African American and cannot find a shade of IT foundation that is pink enough for me.  Everything I've tried is too yellow.

Esteemed Contributor

@Graydoxiechick wrote:

I think most cosmetic chains now have all shades, I don't think she means to discriminate.

If they had all shades, there would be more variety.  Then, this poster wouldn't be complaining about the shades offered here.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

So many examples of being shut out nd not just in makeup.  My guess it would be impossible to represent all choices.  I am lighter than the samples.  I have to go somewhere else.  I am shorter than most pants.  I have to go somewhere else.  I would like more color choices in many of the tunics or tops.  I have to go somewhere else.  This happens all the time and I usually find what I need.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bbydol wrote:
They keep talking about Oprah and this product. None of those shades would match Oprah's skin color. So unfair. 6 shades in the TSV. One shade for African American women. We live in a multi-cultural society QVC. Your products need to represent everyone.

Thanks so much for this @bbydol.  Every time I watch beauty vendors on QVC I always know what's about to happen if they are offering foundations.  Always, always it's either no deeper shades or a whopping ONE!  I mean really, do all AA women look alike to them?  I, like any other QVC customer, would like a choice.  That's it .  That's all we are saying.

Sad to say but the majority of the QVC beauty vendors do this:Laura Geller, Edward Bess, Tarte,, and Mally, to name a few.  Hello QVC beauty vendors, were not all ",Rich" or "Dark."  

Look at it this way, for those on the fairer end of the complexion spectrum,: you see a new foundation formulation you'd like to try.  Hey, it's a prestige vendor, the price is great, it's on easy pay, great!  Now, here are your shade choices: Caramel, Toffee, Mocha, Espresso and Beige for, as Laura Geller might say, "ALL of my fair-skinned beauties!" Over and over and over again.

We know what department stores are and how to find them. We know about Ulta and Sephora.  We know how to use the internet to search for beauty products.  We're not stupid or clueless or unsophisticated about how businesses operate.

It's really just about being given a choice.  If you wear a fairer shade and you choose porcelain instead of light, get it home and it's the wrong shade you might say to yourself "Darn, I should have chosen light.". But you did have a choice.  For the vast majority of QVC beauty vendors the deepest end of the spectrum offered is one or none.

It's so unnecessarily hurtful and wrong, especially well into the 21st century.

BTW, at least one QVC vendor gets this: Bare Minerals. I'm Medium Dark.

And for anyone about to say so what's the problem, I say I just want to sit in the comfort of my home, click on my Q, get excited about a new formulation, and be presented with the same choices as everyone else.

Trusted Contributor

The other shopping channel has some AA vendors but I have noticed this before on both channels that there does not seem to be enough offered for darker skin.
Honored Contributor

@bbydol wrote:

Let me first say that I am astonished at the number of responses to my initial post.  Kudos to all of you for chiming in.  I must be clear that this post had nothing to do with race and in all fairness to It Cosmetics it should have been directed to many of the companies here at QVC.  I do find it somewhat insulting however in terms of It Cosmetics providing only one shade of foundation color to  women of color while offering 5 shades of color  to non-women of color.

I would like  the companies and QVC to offer a reasonable variety of makeup shades for all women and to make this a requrement that their vendors must  address  and ladies I have been purchasing makup probably longer than some of you have been walking the earth.  I am well aware of the variety of products available both on line and in brick/mortar.

If you don't raise an issue about things you feel strongly about there are no changes.

@bbydol

Actually, after I read the title of this thread, I was pretty sure it was about race.   It turned out to be about makeup shades, not AA women shut out again.  

As I stated previously in Post #25, I am a Medium that cannot wear IT foundation either ... too yellow and mustardy looking for my pinkish skin.   They only offer 6-7 shades, so I'm guessing they probably work for 25 to 40% of viewers.   (I have no idea what QVC's viewer base consists of racially.  Maybe they don't know either.)

IMO, QVC should have more shows using Bare Escentuals because their Shade Finder chart is really exceptional ..... or have a vendor or two that offers shades specifically for women of color.   IMO, expecting every vendor to offer every imaginable makeup shade is never going to happen.   JMO