Respected Contributor

It Cosmetics CC Cream ... Anyone Allergic?

I've been using the celebration foundation, with no problems, but got the CC cream last week, and now I have a rash.  Its the only thing that's different in my routine.  I am very allergic, and can't use a lot of lines.  Since I've used other IT products, I didn't expect to have an issues with this one.

Has anyone else had this problem?  

Honored Contributor

Re: It Cosmetics CC Cream ... Anyone Allergic?

[ Edited ]

I get redness and dry, flaky patches whenever I use a product with zinc oxide. That includes the It Cosmetics CC Cream, Josie Maran Argan Oil Moisturizer with SPF, Supergoop CC Cream, and many other mineral sunscreen products. It usually takes anywhere from 5 -10 days to show up, so before I knew which ingredient was the cause, I would fall in love with a product, then get the reaction. Very disappointing.

It's unfortunate, as zinc oxide is a skin soothing product that causes no reaction for most people and is even the active ingredient in things like diaper rash cream.

Honored Contributor

Personally l haven't had any kind of allergic reaction to IT CC cream.  It has a long ingredient list, though, so you should probably check it out to see if there's something you might be reacting to.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

WOW, @ChynnaBlue, I did not know about zinc reactions.I never suspected it may be zinc that causes my breakout.Since I was never really fully into skin care ,untill Josie M. I thought it may be the nuts..lol...   Thanks for the heads up.  (I used to be allergic to walnuts.lol)

As you know...lol..I do not read ingredient lists ,but I am starting to.Thanks to you.  Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

I had the same problem.  I have used a lot of her products and when I used the CC cream I had a huge reaction.  Not sure what bothered me because I have never had a problem make up

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

WOW, @ChynnaBlue, I did not know about zinc reactions.I never suspected it may be zinc that causes my breakout.Since I was never really fully into skin care ,untill Josie M. I thought it may be the nuts..lol...   Thanks for the heads up.  (I used to be allergic to walnuts.lol)

As you know...lol..I do not read ingredient lists ,but I am starting to.Thanks to you.  Smiley Happy

And it may not be, so be ready to do some experimenting. Unless a product gives me a really bad reaction immediately, I experiment with suspected items to make sure I'm identifying the right culprit. It took me several months and multiple products to identify zinc as the culprit.

I've almost blamed breakouts and irritation on several products that wound up being harmless under further testing. Now some of those are my favorite products, so it pays to do some testing to make sure you eliminate the right problematic ingredient(s).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know how the % of zinc is in this product but I know if a product has a really high % of zinc I often have irritation/reaction to it. I only use physical sunscreens so they all usually contain some level of zinc but I need to watch the % and tend to avoid ones with over 12% zinc because that tends to be the maximum level I can use before I have irritation.

I definitely cannot use any chemcial sunscreens (does this product contain any chemical sunscreens?) because they irritate the heck out of my skin and eyes (feels like it is burning my skin).

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the replies and discussion!  With the long list of ingredients in most products, it's very hard to narrow it down.  I try to go with the more natural ones when trying something new.  

It's not the zinc-oxide for me.  I use that in a larger concentration in my beloved ELTA MD physical suncreen!

Trusted Contributor

@ItsME

Are you allergic to snails?  The CC cream has snail slime in it as the second ingredient.

The CC cream is also loaded with citrus oils that can be photosensitivity irritants to some people.  This cream has lemon, bergamot, orange, lime and grapefruit oils in it.

Also, the CC cream has other essential oils in it like Norway Pine leaf oil, eucalyptus leaf oil, cinnamon bark oil....seriously, why put these potential skin irritants into a CC cream?!  Gah!

There's also a bunch of flower, leaf and seed 'extracts' that do little except provide 'natural' fragrance and be potential irritants.

So, who knows what ingredient you are having a reaction to!

Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

@ItsME

Are you allergic to snails?  The CC cream has snail slime in it as the second ingredient.

The CC cream is also loaded with citrus oils that can be photosensitivity irritants to some people.  This cream has lemon, bergamot, orange, lime and grapefruit oils in it.

Also, the CC cream has other essential oils in it like Norway Pine leaf oil, eucalyptus leaf oil, cinnamon bark oil....seriously, why put these potential skin irritants into a CC cream?!  Gah!

There's also a bunch of flower, leaf and seed 'extracts' that do little except provide 'natural' fragrance and be potential irritants.

So, who knows what ingredient you are having a reaction to!

I so agree! Much of IT's skincare products contain so many irritants that my face hurts just reading them, lol! I think she thinks if she puts a million things in it we will think it has GOT to being doing something amazing for our skin but the fact is, so much of the "good" ingredients are in such small amount that it can't possibly do anything for your skin except, in the case of the irritants, possibly irritate your skin!