Honored Contributor

Issues with hair, eye lashes suggestions please !

I am almost 61 years young and have health issues and on medication. This year I will be cancer free for 5 years from breast cancer. I am very modest and conservative.... I do not wear make up. My hair previously was long, wavy with some frizzy curls. My eye lashes were long. Eye brows not bushy, full or thick. I had hoped my lashes and brows would grow back. I want to look natural . Skin tone light, warm medium brown with high lights. Few brows are a little light brown. My DH prefers shoulder length hair. I have no talent styling my hair . I can not stand up for a long time trying to fix my hair and have trouble with shoulders and arms. I love my hair stylist but tired I trips to the salon every 5 weeks and sitting for 3 hours plus the cost of color, style and tips. I am interested in a wig but afraid wearing glasses will be uncomfortable plus hot. Please forgive details and hope you can understand. Hair stylist just cut my hair, added layers and highlights which I love..... But the real test will be when I wash and dry my hair. I wanted suggestions and info from people that have similar issues and what worked for you. Thank you, Southern Bee
Occasional Contributor

Re: Issues with hair, eye lashes suggestions please !

Dear Southern Bee,

I also am a breast cancer survivor of two years. I went through 4 surgeries and 16 chemo treatments. I bought a very expensive wig to get me through the days when I would have no hair. My hair has grown back and so have my eyelashes. What I found that helps with hair and eyelashes growth, besides trusting God, is drinking a high protein drink every morning for breakfast, taking vitamins and eating no sugar. My hair is now thick and wavy with beautiful shine. I also am very careful about the beauty products I use, especially shampoo and conditioner. God bless you and good luck. We who have survived this dreadful disease and are cancer-free are sisters wanting to help each other. By the way I'm going to be 73 in May. I hope this has helped.

Honored Contributor

Oh no... I could not edit and make corrections. Please forgive erros. Thank you and have a Blessed day, Southern Bee
Frequent Contributor

On 4/9/2015 Southern Bee said: Oh no... I could not edit and make corrections. Please forgive erros. Thank you and have a Blessed day, Southern Bee

Southern Bee,

Don't concern yourself about any mistakes, (I didn't notice any). if anyone is crass enough to comment on them, that's about them and not about you.

Now about your hair and lashes, some people have had good luck with using castor oil on their brows and lashline to help them grow. There are serums/prescriptions that people use also, Latisse and Careprost (generic Latisse) for lashes and Rograine for brows and hair. I would suggest that you talk to your doctor first given your medical history. The castor oil seems the least toxic of the remedies I have heard of and is also the least expensive. It certainly would be worth a try.

I suffer from chronic illness and I totally and understand about doing your hair. Can you blow dry in stages? Perhaps doing one section at a time? Same thing with hot rollers, would you be able to let your hair air dry and use hot rollers, again in stages if you get tired? Hot rollers your could do maybe 4 rollers at a time, and in 3-4 stages be done. I personally find hot rollers the easiest to use when styling, you just roll your hair and clip it, and then take it down later. No fooling around with a brush and the blow dryer or having to hold it in place for a long time or combing it though the hair several times as with some tools. It depends on your hair, you might also do well with the Calista Perfector or something similar. Item #A260046, here at QVC, but I have heard there are a few similar devices that cost less at stores like Target and Walmart, or online at Amazon, anywhere that sells hair styling tools. Some folks here may also have some ideas for a leave-in styling cream that might work for you so that you could have "wash-and-go" hair. I don't think WEN cleansing conditioner would be good for you as there is too much rinsing with that, but their styling creams might work. I can't recommend anything with regard to styling creams since I don't use them.

If you haven't done so already, mention your issues about fixing your hair at home to your hair stylist and see if they have any suggestions. Hopefully you will find something that will work for you that is manageable and not too tiring. Smiley Happy

Best wishes and congrats on making the 5 year mark!

CeeCee

Honored Contributor

Hi Southern Bee, So glad that you are cancer free. I would definitely check out Doris Dalton's cosmetics called Doll 10. She is a cancer survivor and lost eye brows, etc. If you are not happy with your purchase at least QVC will let you return the cosmetics within 30 days. I have rheumatoid arthritis so I keep my hair short -- easy to dry & fast and I have it cut every 3 months (12 weeks). I make sure I always have a lightweight dryer. Buy yourself a magnified mirror if you don't have a good one. It's good for applying makeup, getting a good look at your skin & its condition and if you have hairs under your chin (unfortunately, as we age, we need to check that) and it also good for doing your eyebrows. I hope at least one of my suggestions will help you out. Good luck to you. P.S. Avalon Organics Thickening shampoo is excellent & so is the conditioner under $10. Check out iherb.com $20 ships free.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Brighteyes: Thank you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. God has been good and I am Blessed. CeeCee: Thank you. I will try the castor oil. My doctor said no Latisse. I do everything in stages. DH understands and laughs because I work 5 minutes then sit 30 minutes. My hair tangles bad and hair stylist suggested Trend Setter hot rollers but the beauty supply shop no longer sells them. I searched internet and still looking. I tried Wen but did not help. Per hairstylist I use the Halo shampoo and conditioner. KatCat 1: Thank you. I will look for Doll10. My hair is very thin on top but other areas the hair is thick and course. Stylist cut my hair to my shoulders and added a few layers. Yep: I shave my chin. Hugs and Blessings for everyone. Thank you, Southern Bee