Honored Contributor

Re: Issues after microneedling ?

@mintedrose wrote:

@Shanus  I did the microneedling few months ago. I recently noticed my pores looking big when I was in the sunlight. Would a professional microneedling or hydra facial solve some of the problem ?  

@mintedrose   I would think that doing microneedling again would only make the issue worse. Not every skincare technique works for all women. What are you hoping to accomplish? There may be something else that you can do to achieve results and not enlarge, damage your pores. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Microneedling done too frequently will cause issues which include inflammation. Visibly large pores is a dead give-away that your skin is inflamed. I would not microneedle for at least the next few weeks, keep your skin clean, use gentle cleansers, no exfoliation and no acids (AHA or BHA).

Microneedling, when done properly, should not cause enlarged pores and in fact should make them appear smaller. It's very important, too, to microneedle on clean dry skin with a clean dry microneedle. Do not apply any actives, including sunscreen and makeup, for the next 24 hours. If you use Retin-A that should be stopped 3 days prior to needling and then wait 3 days after needling to resume using Retin-A.  Another important thing...if the size needle is 0.5mm long then you should not be using that more than a couple times per month. Anything shorter than 0.5mm can be used more frequently but not to the point of causing unnecessary irritation such as extreme redness, enlarged pores and excess flaking/dryness.

You may want to invest in purchasing a book about needling. That will help answer most questions you might have and it will help prevent injury in the future so that you can continue needling successfully.

Valued Contributor

@Shanus 

Thanks for the advice. I understand. I will not attempt it again. Last time it was done in September. I followed all the rules before, clean skin, no exfoliator or actives after. Until I got the new mask the next day and forgot that I shouldnt use.  

I would like smaller pores ofcourse and clear skin that I used to have. I know that may be a challenge now but Im willing to learn and make an effort. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Thank you for so much great information. Smiley Happy

Ive done it only once last year in September. I used a 0.30 needle. I know what u mean about it doing wonderful things. Ive been doing it since 2016 and have had wonderful results. My skin would feel great a few days of intense hydration and gentle moisturizers. I also followed the rules to the T, well until this last time. 

Eventhough we're many months after, can I still not use any exfoliators? I use Josie's and alternate with a vitamin c scrub. I also do microdermabrasion once in a while. But Im guessing I should not do that anymore?  

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

@mintedrose wrote:

@SilleeMee 

Thank you for so much great information. Smiley Happy

Ive done it only once last year in September. I used a 0.30 needle. I know what u mean about it doing wonderful things. Ive been doing it since 2016 and have had wonderful results. My skin would feel great a few days of intense hydration and gentle moisturizers. I also followed the rules to the T, well until this last time. 

Eventhough we're many months after, can I still not use any exfoliators? I use Josie's and alternate with a vitamin c scrub. I also do microdermabrasion once in a while. But Im guessing I should not do that anymore?  

@mintedrose 

You're welcome.

You can go back to your routine after 24 hours and that would include most everything except for Retin-A which should wait until three days post needling. As far as exfoliation, needling itself is a type of exfoliation technique so with that in mind exfoliate by other means only if your skin needs it. Over-exfoliation causes unnecessary redness and inflammation (enlarged pores). At least allow your skin to rebuild it's outermost layer (the natural protective mantle) which can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month depending on your skin. Over-exfoliation will most likely cause your mantle to get stripped and that's noot what you need....it's aging.