Valued Contributor

Issues after microneedling ?

I just started micorneedling at home this past year and I think I may have messed up my skin. Ive done it before and have had good results but I dont know why now my skin has gotten worse? 

I know after you microneedle you should not use anything gritty on your face but last time I microneedled I put on Josie 5 minute face mask (which is a little gritty) the very next day.  I had totally forgotten I had microneedled. Soon after that my pores started to look HUUUUUGGGEE like Ive never seen. I look in the mirror and I see huge pores. ;(( Im really upset. My skin used to be smooth that i could go out without makeup. Pores were never visible. 

What I wanna know is did I just mess up my skin by messing up the after care procedure or the microneedling? It is correctable? 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

Re: Issues after microneedling ?

@mintedrose   I tried it for 6 months  (thinking it would take time to show results) with progressively negative results and it took a year to get my skin  looking and feeling fairly good again!  I had even went to a professional a few years before that and had angry skin after spending a lot of money on 3 times a week sessions.  Some swear by it but surely not for me!  Something that has to damage before showing results not for me!!

Honored Contributor

"Self Surgery"

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@mintedrose  

@mintedrose wrote:

I just started micorneedling at home this past year and I think I may have messed up my skin. Ive done it before and have had good results but I dont know why now my skin has gotten worse? 

I know after you microneedle you should not use anything gritty on your face but last time I microneedled I put on Josie 5 minute face mask (which is a little gritty) the very next day.  I had totally forgotten I had microneedled. Soon after that my pores started to look HUUUUUGGGEE like Ive never seen. I look in the mirror and I see huge pores. ;(( Im really upset. My skin used to be smooth that i could go out without makeup. Pores were never visible. 

What I wanna know is did I just mess up my skin by messing up the after care procedure or the microneedling? It is correctable? 

@mintedrose   After microneedling, it's  important to keep your face clean and not use anything that would enter the tiny "holes" that were just made. I hope the damage can be repaired.

When was the last time you did the microneedling and put on the JM mask? If it was recently, you may be able to work on clearing out your pores using a gentle exfoliating product (not a physical scrub) , but an acid cleanser, toner or pad. Hopefully once the pores are cleared out, they will appear smoother, but sometimes once the pores are open (stretched open), they are still visible. You'll need to be diligent about keeping the pores "empty".

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@mintedrose   I tried it for 6 months  (thinking it would take time to show results) with progressively negative results and it took a year to get my skin  looking and feeling fairly good again!  I had even went to a professional a few years before that and had angry skin after spending a lot of money on 3 times a week sessions.  Some swear by it but surely not for me!  Something that has to damage before showing results not for me!!

@Pook  I'm not a fan of this technique. Too many technicians are not sufficiently trained and home units are not always great...they create damage because sometimes the needles are larger, it's done too often or the aftercare is not fully explained. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've been microneedling for over a decade. The best thing to do post-24 hours is keep your skin clean and use a single-ingredient moisturizer such as camellia or jojoba oil. Both of those oils are anti-inflammatory as well as antiseptic. 

Enlarged pores seen after microneedeling can be a sign of irritation from something you applied. It's best not to apply any actives or treatment-type products for at least 24 hours post needling. 

Esteemed Contributor

Ask Shanus, she might have some ideas for you.

Respected Contributor

I would seek a derm's opinion as to the solution.   

There are products out there that are only available with

a prescription that could possibly give you immediate results.

Experimenting with other products could damage your skin more.

Hope you get the results you need and reverse the damage.

Good Luck.

Valued Contributor

@Shanus  I did the microneedling few months ago. I recently noticed my pores looking big when I was in the sunlight. Would a professional microneedling or hydra facial solve some of the problem ?  

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

I don't know what microneedling is for or what it does and I will leave it that way.  The name itself is scary.

kindness is strength