Respected Contributor

Re: Is your Ulta horrible???

I like Sephora a little more regardless that Ulta has the drugstore stuff plus the good lines. Sephora is out of the way though. But I haven't gotten any bad service at our Ulta. I just wish they would feature more brands. The one north of here has Clinique, IT, and Lancôme.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Frequent Contributor

There is NO Ulta where I live (no Sephora either, not even in JCPenney). Maybe a horrible one is better than none?

Respected Contributor

On 1/16/2014 chessylady said: I recently went to Ulta to buy BareEssentials foundation. While in the checkout line, I heard the clerk ask the person checking out if she wanted to tip the associate who had helped her. I had never heard of that before, is this common practice or just an Ulta thing?
What? I think that would merit an email to corporate. That's awful!
Valued Contributor

Just a thought about chessylady's post...most Ultas have a full service beauty salon. Possibly the lady ahead of you had services performed (haircut, color, etc) and this was why she was asked if she wanted to tip who helped her. Otherwise, I can't see why she would be asked about tipping.
Contributor

On 1/16/2014 chessylady said: I recently went to Ulta to buy BareEssentials foundation. While in the checkout line, I heard the clerk ask the person checking out if she wanted to tip the associate who had helped her. I had never heard of that before, is this common practice or just an Ulta thing?
They usually ask that if someone had services done at the salon or brows done at the benefit brow bar. I have 2 Ultas near me and they are both a wreck. Messy makeup displays, out of products week after week, and they never seem to have the gifts with purchase in stock...even if I go the day the sale starts, but they do have the signs up saying you get a GWP. The associates don't seem knowledgeable about the products at all. Their salons are also poorly run at my Ultas. I have emailed corporate, but nothing changes.
Contributor

I only go there if they have a really good deal. Luckily a good Sephora is a couple minutes away. I have heard of people writing corporate and nothing gets done.
Super Contributor

I didn't go to the Ulta that opened near me for a long time because of all the horrible reports about them that I had read here. I finally ventured in and the staff is very friendly and the store is always clean. They have some different products than Sephora and I have enjoyed shopping there so far.

Contributor

I hate mine as well, but I do not have a Sephora near, so I have to go to Ulta for certain items. Customer service is ok, they will take back any returns, but the people are not friendly. Their salon is the worst. The biggest problem I have with them is their coupons. The majority of items are on the higher end and you can't use any coupons for them, only as they said the "one side of the store" (Covergirl, Maybelline etc.). I go there only out of desperation, and if I could get an item on line and don't need it right away I will do that.
Contributor

On 1/16/2014 Chardie said:
They usually ask that if someone had services done at the salon or brows done at the benefit brow bar. I have 2 Ultas near me and they are both a wreck. Messy makeup displays, out of products week after week, and they never seem to have the gifts with purchase in stock...even if I go the day the sale starts, but they do have the signs up saying you get a GWP. The associates don't seem knowledgeable about the products at all. Their salons are also poorly run at my Ultas. I have emailed corporate, but nothing changes.
My Ulta works the same way regarding the salon. Instead of giving the stylist a tip directly, they will ask you at the register when you pay.
Super Contributor

I was laughing to myself. I went to an Ulta at the beginning of December. The store was sparsely populated with customers. CS's outdid us by 2:1. (They were all just standing around.) As I wandered on the "expensive" side of the store, browsing the "prestige" products, I was approached twice in quick succession to know if "I was finding whatever I needed."

Then I moved to the other side of the store, with the drugstore quality items, and wandered up and down the rows. Actually, I'd never been there so I was spending a lot of time walking around. Would you like to guess how many CS's approached me to offer their assistance?

{#emotions_dlg.lol}