Honored Contributor

Re: Is there such a thing as....

[ Edited ]

Inadequate vitamin C levels in the blood has been associated with bruising. VC supplementation is grossly underestimated and undervalued especially in older people.

Esteemed Contributor

My hubby takes an aspirin a day as well as blood thinners. He bruises easily and asked the DR about it. Doc said there really isn't anything that can be done because of the meds.

Esteemed Contributor

Just warn him not to joke around when they separate you to ask him if he feels safe at home.  Not a good move 😂 

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Just warn him not to joke around when they separate you to ask him if he feels safe at home.  Not a good move 😂 

@Still Raining Ha, I am the complete opposite.  I rarely ever bruise, or if I do it's several days later and I can't remember what I did to cause it.  I often joke that my husband could beat the C*** out of me and nobody would believe me.  BTW, my doctor doesn't ask me those kinds of questions.  It's on the form I fill out for my physical, but he doesn't go over that with me.  

But, of course, I know it's coming, so I take care of my skin in hopes of at least putting it off somewhat.  

Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Hi I follow the young dermatologist Dr Dray on Youtube . She has several videos on dry skin and how to take care of it in addition to moisturizing , cleasing and trearing different skin conditions . I have found her very helpful.

Respected Contributor

My boyfriend, who is also 11 years older than I am,  for many years ahs bruised VERY easily..I mean large dark purple red bruises that look more like "hickeys"...He says they are not painful, but are VERY unsightly- He can barely touch something wihtout getting them..The derm said his skin was "rthin" and nothing could be done..

Fast forward, I, who NEVER used to bruise, now gets the same thing, I barely FEEL something touch me, and next thing I know, I get these too...now MY Dr says the same thing, aging brings "thin skin" and nothing can be done- 

My brother, same age as BF, noticed one of HIS bruises the other day, and said, "Hey I get those too!"...

Evidently, this is something many of us can look  "forward" to...

On the positive side, at least old age doesnt last all that long.....

Honored Contributor

I can sympathsize but unfortunately I know of nothing to help this --- I wish I did!  I suffer terribly from this.  I call them blood bruises, but I don't really know what the technical term is, if there is one.  I have been to several derms and have asked all my doctors.  I get the same answer --- you are getting older, you have very fair thin skin.  So, it just happens in some people!

Just a piece of clothing which might brush against me might give me one.  If I barely skirt something -- a piece of paper -- I will get one.  I go to bed fine -- then I wake up and might have several on my chest and neck!  

Also, my skin tears easily.  it's not only ugly, but frightening!  I cry about it at times because it is ugly and I am self-conscious about it.

But I am told nothing can be done about it.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Anticoagulants can cause bruising or even a baby aspirin. I would have him see his medical professional. BTW there is no product that can thicken skin even though may vendors have made such claims.