Honored Contributor

Is there such a thing as....

A cream or lotion that will help to thicken skin?  My husband, who is eleven years older than me is having issues with thin skin and bruising easily.  I know I see this a lot in other older people I know.  He's always getting cuts from the cat scratching or biting on him when I don't.  The cat is not being mean, just playing.  And when he comes home from a boat weekend, he always has bruises that take forever to go away.  

He was watching the Korres TSV on HSN where they were showing (of course) wonderful results on crepey arms and he asked "wonder if that would work for me?"  I'm kinda doubting it, but I do wonder if there is something.  Not only for him, but I figure eventually I'll start having to deal with that too.  But, I do at least wear lotion or body butters on a fairly regular basis although not daily, so I feel like I'm hopefully doing something to help slow down that process.

Respected Contributor

Re: Is there such a thing as....

Does he take any kind of blood thinners? Even ibuprofen, aspirin or fish oil can cause this to be worse. 

Respected Contributor

Of course the answer is go to a dermatologist & don't believe salespeople selling products. Waste of time & your $.

Respected Contributor

If he moisturizes his skin it will certainly improve barrier function and he should not scratch and cut as easily. Dry parched skin gets cut and scratched much more easily.  I say this from personal experience and that of my partner who is lazy with using body lotion and ends up with scratches and cuts all around his lower legs.  As for bruising I don't think anything topical can prevent it but arnica gel or the bruise creams you see in the drugstore certainly help expedite the fading/healing. It works best though if applied right after the injury, in my experience. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had to Google just to see if there is an option. My dad could have used it. His skin was so thin. He had bruises all over all the time but he was taking a blood thinner.

I did find it says to cleanse the skin with mild soap plus apply moisturizer while skin is still wet. Use a sunscreen with at least a 15 spf. Drink a lot of water to stay hydrated. Take Fish oil or flaxseed. 

Make a doctor’s appointment to discuss using a Retinoid product. Retinoic acid, used in prescription strength, should increase collagen in skin and thicken it. Found this info on Livestrong site.

Honored Contributor

When I was going to the derm for some skin laser procedures I got a lot of bruising. I found this gel that helps get rid of the bruising quite fast. But as far as finding a product which may thicken the skin, I really don't think you'll find one. That's just something which doesn't exist.

Amazon has this for under $7:

8204899__1481122567__1481122568_zoom.png

Esteemed Contributor

Arnica is something I always have on hand!

But to respond to @Icegoddess , according to ncbi, you can combat thin skin, i.e., aging skin, topically, but internally, too.

They promote both L-ascorbic acid and retinoids, and topical antioxidants. Can you find a one-stop-shop lotion with all that, that you can use for both body & face? I don't know.

Internally, they suggest EFAs and nutritional antioxidants.

However, if medications (blood thinners) are the cause, then again, I do not know how to put on enough creams or eat enough good food that would negate any of the usual averse skin effects.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, I knew about the arnica products, and I think he has started using one of those.  You can also take arnica internally since that was one of the supplements my doctor had me on after having some lipo.  

He is on no medication whatsoever.  Getting him to go to a dermatologist or doctor for it is probably out of the question. He was going to a dermatologist for awhile after he went with me to a free screening (which made him think it was his idea), but then there became a problem with the billing or something and he claimed the doctor dropped him.  The only way I got him to get his first colonoscopy was to tell him I would not get mine until he got his.  Like I said, I'm  11 years younger and I ended up waiting an extra year to get my first one.  

I might be able to get him to take some supplements.

BTW, anybody else having trouble with the forums today?  I'm having an awful time with them dropping out.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have very thin skin that bruises easily.  Both of my parents had it.  I discussed it with my doctor one day.  She picked up the phone and called a doctor with the geriatric department at the University of NM.  They could suggest nothing but the use of estrogen cream.  I got one very small tube which was $110. after insurance paid.  To do.my arms, this tube would have lasted maybe 2 weeks.  After another consultation, my doctor and I decided I'd taken enough estrogen in my lifetime and didn't need more.  Now I just wear long sleeves if doing yard work or sometime where I'd likely get bruises.  Arnica did nothing for me.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Ceramides and good fatty acids can help strengthen the outer layers of your skin. So either a nice shea butter body lotion or CeraVe cream could make a difference. It's more about strength and resilience than thickness. Supplements might be in order too.

And since your DH expressed interest in Korres, I say get him some. Or some Beekman. He may actually use it, and moisturized skin is always healthier than fragile, dry skin.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr