Respected Contributor

Is there such a thing as soft hair gel? Can’t find one

Every gel I’ve tried leaves my hair feeling crispy. It looks nice but I do not like my hair to feel hard.

Do soft gels exist?

Contributor

Re: Is there such a thing as soft hair gel? Can’t find one

Try Rusk Wired flexible  styling cream.  I have short thin hair and I found the hair gels were too heavy for my hair.  This can be used on wet hair or after drying which is when I use it to give my hair some body.

Honored Contributor

Living proof amp 2 though not a gel formula...works for my hair type. Takes the smallest amount. Bonus! second and third day hair looks beautiful. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ Montana

that's called a "gel cast" and you want it.  After the cast is formed, you 'break the cast' to release your hair using a method that won't cause frizz.

Done right, it leaves your hair soft, but the style will hold as though you doused it with hairspray.

Look on YouTube for creating a gel cast and breaking a gel cast.

Lot better than me trying to explain "how-to".

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@ Montana

that's called a "gel cast" and you want it.  After the cast is formed, you 'break the cast' to release your hair using a method that won't cause frizz.

Done right, it leaves your hair soft, but the style will hold as though you doused it with hairspray.

Look on YouTube for creating a gel cast and breaking a gel cast.

Lot better than me trying to explain "how-to".

Yes, this.

It's called scrunching out the crunch.

Turn your head upside down and with your hands or a soft T shirt, scrunch the hair upwards until it feels soft.

You can rub a little oil or conditioner on your hands while you scrunch if you like.  Gel is supposed to dry sort of crispy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2

When I use my hands I make frizz, even if I oil them first.

I abandoned t-shirts, in favor of a big 'pirate' bandana which is an extremely tightly woven fabric. Cannot snag hair, even If you have broken and split hairs.

Every head of hair is different though, so 'best' method is very individual thing. I know nothing about Montana's hair.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Ms tyrion2

When I use my hands I make frizz, even if I oil them first.

I abandoned t-shirts, in favor of a big 'pirate' bandana which is an extremely tightly woven fabric. Cannot snag hair, even If you have broken and split hairs.

Every head of hair is different though, so 'best' method is very individual thing. I know nothing about Montana's hair.

@x Hedge.

Yep. Everyone is different. It is generally said that in order to prevent frizz, more gel is better and hair must be absolutely dry before you scrunch. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the information, everyone.

I looked at some videos about “gel casting” All the women in the videos had long hair.  Mine is short, so don’t how that might work for me, but I’ll give it a try. 

Esteemed Contributor

lots of guys use gel, i see more vids under "short hair gel".

@ Montana

There's something for every length, and I'm thinking with the way I apply and break the gel, the length just means I'd use more fingertip to apply gel instead of 'praying hands' method.

To break after diffusing dry, I'd lay my bandana over my head and squeeze through the cloth to break the casts. I just prefer that to oiling my hands to squeeze the casts apart.

Honored Contributor

@ Montana  If you need thickness, try Aquage thickening spray gel.  It sprays out like a mist and it does thicken your hair.  I have using for quite a few years now and it is the best in my book.  It rinses out with water, no buildup.

kindness is strength