Honored Contributor

Is there an anti-frizz shampoo or conditioner that really works?

I feel like I've tried all kinds of brands of shampoo, conditioner, and leave-ins...from cheap to very expensive.  Nothing helps with the frizz.  It's humid here and and I'm looking for what worked for you.  I get my hair cut regularly so cut isn't the issue.  Perhaps you're using a brand I haven't tried.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is there an anti-frizz shampoo or conditioner that really works?

I think if it's humid and one's hair is prone to that there is not much you can do

you can get a blowout instead of doing yourself

or get it straightened which does help, 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could have written your post. I, too, have tried just about everything out there for frizz. Nothing has helped, not even a little bit. I even tried Living Proof, which came highly recommended, and was very expensive. I couldn’t even tell I had used it.  I just put Softee Indian Hemp (very oily, but great for hair) in my hair, and pull it back into a ponytail. Short of wearing a wig, I don’t believe there is a product that truly prevents frizz.  

Just remembered I did get a Keratin treatment several years ago. It did work wonders, but left my hair stick straight, and only lasted for about two months. It was expensive, but not any worse than a perm would cost.

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart 

Another frizz sister here.

I'm 68, and you can imagine the number of "frizz control" products I have tried in all those years.  

Nothing ever really worked.  Nothing.

I would try every product I saw mentioned and ended up with lots of products.  Name it and I've tried it. 

My hair is naturally curly and prone to frizz when the humidity hits.  While I had beautiful curls for many years, it started to change as I aged.  I could not get a decent cut and the curl pattern turned to mostly frizz.

A few years ago, my stylist suggested Pravana Smoothing treatment.  An upgrade from the harsh straighteners of the past.  She could color my hair right after the treatment, which was great.

It made my hair smooth as silk.  I loved it!  

Fast forward to a few months back.  I saw an old photo of my curls and decided to give it another try.  Well, I'm a about 6 months into no smoothing treatment and not sure I'll make it through the summer.

While I can see traces of my curls, it still gets quite frizzy.  

I've been tempted to just get it smoothed again, but struggling to stay the course.

All that to say I just don't believe there is anything out there that truly stops/controls frizz unless you spray it down with hairspray Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Only using a flat iron on humid days prevents mine from frizzing. No matter how high the humidity that works for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@CalminHeart 

Another frizz sister here.

I'm 68, and you can imagine the number of "frizz control" products I have tried in all those years.  

Nothing ever really worked.  Nothing.

I would try every product I saw mentioned and ended up with lots of products.  Name it and I've tried it. 

My hair is naturally curly and prone to frizz when the humidity hits.  While I had beautiful curls for many years, it started to change as I aged.  I could not get a decent cut and the curl pattern turned to mostly frizz.

A few years ago, my stylist suggested Pravana Smoothing treatment.  An upgrade from the harsh straighteners of the past.  She could color my hair right after the treatment, which was great.

It made my hair smooth as silk.  I loved it!  

Fast forward to a few months back.  I saw an old photo of my curls and decided to give it another try.  Well, I'm a about 6 months into no smoothing treatment and not sure I'll make it through the summer.

While I can see traces of my curls, it still gets quite frizzy.  

I've been tempted to just get it smoothed again, but struggling to stay the course.

All that to say I just don't believe there is anything out there that truly stops/controls frizz unless you spray it down with hairspray Cat LOL

is that a Keratin type thing?  will look it up-- it is

I have had Anti-Curl and Silis done, but they are done like a perm on the opposite way and last as your hair grows out.  

but now I like to do my hair beachy waves which is hard to do if it's been straightened 

Respected Contributor

I have baby fine naturally wavy hair.  Baby.  Fine.  I'm 72 and have tried everything.  It's my experience that heat + humidity = the frizzies.  Nothing helps.  I have my hair professionally color treated and highlighted so I use the Perfector to get volume and soft waves.  I can't use curling irons or straighteners because my hair is too fine and color treated. 

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I feel like I've tried all kinds of brands of shampoo, conditioner, and leave-ins...from cheap to very expensive.  Nothing helps with the frizz.  It's humid here and and I'm looking for what worked for you.  I get my hair cut regularly so cut isn't the issue.  Perhaps you're using a brand I haven't tried.  Thanks.

@CalminHeart  It's neither a shampoo or conditioner, but I recommend that you try Color Wow Dream Coat.  It's a spray that you apply to cleansed & conditioned damp hair before blowing it dry. It requires blowdrying so the heat can activate the product.  Also, make sure you hold the section of hair taut as you dry it so you can that desired smoothness.  You will not get the desired result if you just spray the product on and air dry your hair. It is not heavy or greasy and is safe for color treated hair. Look it up online and you'll see how it gets lots of positive reviews.  See the link below, to read about the product. 

COLOR WOW DREAM COAT

Respected Contributor

If your hair is very porous in nature, meaning it absorbs water quickly when it gets wet (mine is extremely porous), it’s a constant battle in humiditybecause it pulls in moisture from the air too- I wash once a week or less, and my hair never feels like it needs more than that- it is dry as straw.  

Ive found cleansing conditioners ( I do use and like WEN), have helped a lot, because it doesn’t strip the oil and stripping  the oil from hair allows frizzing to occur at its worst! 

But mine still frizzes in humidity despite this, plus tons of products-

Recently I read at Naturally Curly. Com ( awesome website), that acidity helps close the hair cuticle and combats frizz, so I’m trying to add a small amount of apple cider vinegar to my daily hair refresher spritz-

i have tried hair sprays and not much success there either. 

The one thing that totally works is the Keratin treatments where you flat iron-in the formula and it fill the cuticle. Awesome outcome but very pricey at a salon- 

I purchased the keratin solution from Big A, and I do the treatments at home in the summer. It works, but doesn’t last as long as when done at a salon. 

Thats the saga, wish I had a fail-proof method too😳🤪😤... good luck all! 

Respected Contributor

Thanks JL Finch, for the rec and link to ColorWow. I’ll try anything! 🌸