Super Contributor

Is there a product most similar to Retin-a Micro that I don't need a prescrip for?

Hello!

Based on suggestions from some of you beauties I am going to try Retin-a again for anti-aging & anti-acne. I used it many years ago for acne but I now don't have a prescrip & my new insurance doesn't provide any coverage for it so it's super expensive.

For those who don't fill a prescrip for Retin-a can you please share what you purchase, where you purchase, & the cost?

Thank you in advance!! Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

Re: Is there a product most similar to Retin-a Micro that I don't need a prescrip for?

Alldaychemist.com.I have never purchased anything from there but I plan to when I turn the big 3-0. I think I will start with a product with tazarotene rather than tretinoin.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Super Contributor

Re: Is there a product most similar to Retin-a Micro that I don't need a prescrip for?

Based on the lack of replies I guess not-haha! Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bunnypink wrote:
Hello!

Based on suggestions from some of you beauties I am going to try Retin-a again for anti-aging & anti-acne. I used it many years ago for acne but I now don't have a prescrip & my new insurance doesn't provide any coverage for it so it's super expensive.

For those who don't fill a prescrip for Retin-a can you please share what you purchase, where you purchase, & the cost?

Thank you in advance!! Smiley Happy

@bunnypink  Prescription Retin-A is one of the best things you can do for anti-aging and acne.  I've been using it for a couple of years now.  The resctrictions on my insurance plan prevent coverage for me too.  However, I strongly suggest that you look for a coupon on the GoodRx website.  The cash price for my prescription at CVS (0.1%, in a 45 gram tube) would be $237.  With the coupon from GoodRx my out of pocket expense is reduced to $65.62.

If you decide to go the route of an online company that sell prescription Retin-A w/o a prescription, there's one called tarasc dot com that several seem to like.  She is limited in strengths and delivery system though.  Since I use the 0.1%, I'd have to switch from my cream form to her gel form.  A 20 gram tube of the gel from her is $28.80.   

Valued Contributor

I have an rx, but I didn't get it filled because I can get tretinoin online cheaper (I use .05%).  I've ordered from endless beauty care 20g runs around 65 after coupons.    I'm tempted to try  all day chemist, order in bulk and use the stuff on my hands, décolleté and sun spots on my legs.

@bunnypink, is your skin sensitive?  i used .1 retin a gel in my 20s without a problem, but when I started with the .05 cream at 46, I had some irritation.   using a red led mask (illumask) after cleansing and before applying the retin a has made all the difference in being able to tolerate the tretinoin. 

Valued Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch, thanks for the tarasc tip! 

Valued Contributor

I use one from SkinMedica (.25%) that my dermatologist suggested.  It takes a while but I now I use it every night.  I was told that I could put it in my eye area, but it has irritated them.  So, I just use serum and moisterizer in the eye area.