Respected Contributor

Re: Is there a cheaper alternative to WEN?

@Funloving wrote:

KatCat Wrote:

Use a shampoo without sulfates and it won't dry out your hair.  There are so many avaiable now.    aure Orangics has an argan stem cell with argan oil shampoo that is outstanding.

@Jacie wrote:

I tried the Herbal Essence Cleansing Conditioner. $4.99 at Target. It was fine. I am not a huge fan of the co-wash thing as there are so many great no-sulfate, non-everything products out there at far more reasonable prices than Wen. I get some great products made by the founder of the salon I go to, Rocco Altobelli.

I agree with KatCat and Jacie.  I really like Acure Organics Argan Stem Cell Shampoo.  There's plenty of sulphate-free shampoos these days, as Jacie mentioned.  You have a ton of alternatives in every price range,  just by reading the labels.  I'm looking for products to help aid in straightening my natural curly hair without going the salon route.  I think I'll start a separate post.

Good luck with your search.  it shouldn't be hard to find an alternative.  I  do  love a few Wen, formulas but naturally my fave is 613 which works best and is more expensive.

Nick Chavez actually makes a product called Advanced Plump 'N Thick Shampoo and Conditioner, and that's sulfate-free and paraben-free. As for straightening the hair, you could try a flat iron.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Frequent Contributor

@ljlrandall wrote:

It's been a long time since you posted your question, but I decided to reply anyway.  I've been using Wen for years and I do love the way it works on my hair.  However, like you, the price is much too high.  I save up and purchase a gallon which usually lasts me 18 months.  Recently I heard about another product that was recommended as an alternative for Wen.  Renpure Coconut Milk Nourishing Shampoo & Renpure Coconut Creme CoWash Cleansing Conditioner.  You can get them on-line, but I found them at TJ Maxx.  Hope this helps.

I have been using Renpure and it is such an improvement over lathers. I do colortreat my hair and it is naturally wavy/curly, I use a couple handfulls of the cleansing conditioner, work it through and let it set until the end of shower and rinse rinse rinse, then I use a small amount to work through as a leave in.  Sometimes I use a small amount of the renpure argan oil blowout cream, even if I air dry.

I got really impatient with the pump,pump,pumping thing, so I just always remove the stem of the pump and take the top off and pour it into my hand, saves alot of time.

Usually only cleanse once, but sometimes I do it twice.  Only need to about 2-3 times a week.

I buy it at Walgreens Target and have gotten it on Amazon couple times.  I have used every formula and like them all, probably prefer lavendar or pomagranate, also have coconut and rosemary mint.  Price is $9.99 tops,  it is on sale often for $5.99 or buy one get one free.  A bottle lasts weeks.

Have also used the Asiam and it is good too, if you need a thicker formula.  I take it when traveling, do to the container with the scr-ew tight lid.

Respected Contributor

@UMDTerpFan wrote:

YES! I've been using Matrix Bolage Cleansing Conditioner thanks to a rec by Cladys. I love the stuff. Just bought my 3rd bottle. If you get it on sale and/or combined with an Ulta coupon & points redemption, it can be pretty cheap. The last bottle I bought was about $14. IMHO it's more product than you get from WEN, it spreads & suds better, I use less plus it rinses out cleaner in my hair. Matrix makes four varieties but I use the one for curly hair.

16.9 oz

I'm thrilled to hear Matrix Biolage makes a cleansing conditioner!  Thanks for mentioning this UMDTerpFan.  I used the old formula of Bioloage Shampoo plus the Conditioning Balm for years with superb results!

Respected Contributor

@NC Bandwagon wrote:

Good luck with your search.  it shouldn't be hard to find an alternative.  I  do  love a few Wen, formulas but naturally my fave is 613 which works best and is more expensive.

Nick Chavez actually makes a product called Advanced Plump 'N Thick Shampoo and Conditioner, and that's sulfate-free and paraben-free. As for straightening the hair, you could try a flat iron.

Thanks but I use a flat iron almost daily.  If I didn't  I'd have a head of fuzzy full hair (think Rosana Rosana Dana (sp))--  I shouldn't complain about unruly volume when at the age where hair starts thinning out.   If I keep up all the heat treatment I'm sure my color treated hair will eventually thin by breaking off.   I'd like to avoid that,   yet I have enough sense to use good heat protectives- and go through many a bottle.

It wasn't always as voluminous.  After chemo  it came back with not only a totally different texture- as in massively curly... but darn near twice the hair I had before.  Not a good way to obtain thick curly hair.

I do agree.  Nick Chavez makes wonderful products to add volume.  I used them some before treatment.   I need the opposite-  a product to tame and make sleek.  Talk about futile.  The minute I  walk outside my head sweats so badly it reverts back to its wild state. The problem is way more pronounced during summers (both personal and weather).  Humid 90 plus degree weather is a no win battle.  I give up & usually just put it up in a top knot and be done with it.  As I get OLD it ALL has become much too high maintenance to look presentable.  I live by the saying... "keep it simple, stupid."

Valued Contributor

I've been using the cleansing conditioner ffrom Ojon.  Ounce for ounce , it's actually more expensive than Wen, but you don't have to use 40 pumps so the bottle lasts a lot longer!  Plus their website always had really good deals and freebies which offset the price considerably.  They've just moved to Origins and I really hope they continue to offer good deals.

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Trusted Contributor

@Funloving wrote:

@UMDTerpFan wrote:

YES! I've been using Matrix Bolage Cleansing Conditioner thanks to a rec by Cladys. I love the stuff. Just bought my 3rd bottle. If you get it on sale and/or combined with an Ulta coupon & points redemption, it can be pretty cheap. The last bottle I bought was about $14. IMHO it's more product than you get from WEN, it spreads & suds better, I use less plus it rinses out cleaner in my hair. Matrix makes four varieties but I use the one for curly hair.

16.9 oz

I'm thrilled to hear Matrix Biolage makes a cleansing conditioner!  Thanks for mentioning this UMDTerpFan.  I used the old formula of Bioloage Shampoo plus the Conditioning Balm for years with superb results!

You are welcome. There are four varieties: curly hair, fine hair, coarse hair and medium hair. I have fine curly hair but I have only tried the version for curly hair and I do love it.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Respected Contributor

@Funloving wrote:

@NC Bandwagon wrote:

Thanks but I use a flat iron almost daily.  If I didn't  I'd have a head of fuzzy full hair (think Rosana Rosana Dana (sp))--  I shouldn't complain about unruly volume when at the age where hair starts thinning out.   If I keep up all the heat treatment I'm sure my color treated hair will eventually thin by breaking off.   I'd like to avoid that,   yet I have enough sense to use good heat protectives- and go through many a bottle.

It wasn't always as voluminous.  After chemo  it came back with not only a totally different texture- as in massively curly... but darn near twice the hair I had before.  Not a good way to obtain thick curly hair.

I do agree.  Nick Chavez makes wonderful products to add volume.  I used them some before treatment.   I need the opposite-  a product to tame and make sleek.  Talk about futile.  The minute I  walk outside my head sweats so badly it reverts back to its wild state. The problem is way more pronounced during summers (both personal and weather).  Humid 90 plus degree weather is a no win battle.  I give up & usually just put it up in a top knot and be done with it.  As I get OLD it ALL has become much too high maintenance to look presentable.  I live by the saying... "keep it simple, stupid."

Sorry about the chemo that you had to go through. That must've been miserable. I think this may help (sorry if it seems like I'm pushing Nick's products too much). Nick makes something called Liquid Silk Blow-Out Smoother. Now, I don't know if this will work 'cause I haven't used it, but I think it may help. QVC sells it and so does Nick's site. I'll post the description of it and maybe that can tell you if it's right for you.

~Our Liquid Silk Blow-Out Smoother is designed to smooth, eliminate unwanted frizz and protect hair from heat while delivering natural body and shine. Formulated with a combination of Argan Oil & Keratin, it is ideal for smoothing chemically treated, naturally curly/wavy hair, or frizzy hair that needs tamed. This non-drying formula is humidity resistant and excellent for blow-dry styles. A natural blend of Chamomile, Kiwi and Henna condition the hair, while Vitamins A & E are added to soothe and protect. Safe to use everyday on natural, colored or chemically treated hair.

Directions for use: Massage product into palms and work through hair from root to ends. Blow dry and style or let dry naturally for a more natural look without volume.~

That's the description from Nick's site about it, but I'm guessing QVC would have the same description. But like you said, best to keep it simple, so I hope you find something that works well for you. Smiley Happy

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus Co-wash is the best (of the cheaper versions) replacement for WEN, imo. I love Tweak-d too but it isn't cheap. And both are cruelty free still, if that matters to you!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Funloving wrote:

@UMDTerpFan wrote:

16.9 oz

YAY!  I am glad you liked it. I love the Pomograniate and Acei one. Remember beauty brands has it 50% off of the liters on this so you can get two big bottles for the price of one.

I live by Renovo Beauty's Natural Cinnamon Molasses shampoo. Ahh-mazingly gentle and hydrating, and smells like cookies. I've found I have to use less of it than I did Wen (ugh, by the way, that stuff is so scary) so a 16 oz bottle lasts for months. Worth looking into.