Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is there a cheaper alternative to WEN?

Sue98, my hair is fine, curly, and can become brittle dry if neglected.  To be honest in the cleansing conditioner category WEN is the top of the heap in my opinion.  However, I've tried lots of the competitor's versions.  Most have failed and I could get better results using a good regular conditioner.  Of the ones which I've liked Quidad would be my second choice.  However, hers is similarly priced to WEN at $36 for 16oz.   If you want to drop back into the under $20 range I would check out from the Hufffington list #9 Eden (I bought it at Sally's); #10 Mizani (you may have to go online for this one unless a hairs salon in your area carries the brand).  I would also say to try the Deva Curl.  That brand wasn't good for me, but in addtion to being on the Huffington list, the brand gets a little love on this board when products for curly hair are discussed.

Respected Contributor

I will second Shea Moisture products. They make great products that are often BOGO 50% at Walgreens. They are super great products that have excellent ingredients and free from all those harsh thing. I love their soaps, lotions, and hair products. Most of their hair products are carried in the Ethnic section of stores. I'm white and have super fine, super thick, straight hair and use their thickening shampoo for volume. We use the kids' shampoos, baby wash, body washes and all.
Valued Contributor

This is interesting!  I have often wondered why other hair product companies weren't making comparable "shampoo" that doesn't lather or strip color (supposedly, acc'g to Chaz).  Apparently they WERE, and I just didn't know about it.  Thanks to all who've researched and contributed to this thread.

Honored Contributor

Use a shampoo without sulfates and it won't dry out your hair.  There are so many avaiable now.    aure Orangics has an argan stem cell with argan oil shampoo that is outstanding.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I tried the Herbal Essence Cleansing Conditioner. $4.99 at Target. It was fine. I am not a huge fan of the co-wash thing as there are so many great no-sulfate, non-everything products out there at far more reasonable prices than Wen. I get some great products made by the founder of the salon I go to, Rocco Altobelli.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

KatCat Wrote:

Use a shampoo without sulfates and it won't dry out your hair.  There are so many avaiable now.    aure Orangics has an argan stem cell with argan oil shampoo that is outstanding.

@Jacie wrote:

I tried the Herbal Essence Cleansing Conditioner. $4.99 at Target. It was fine. I am not a huge fan of the co-wash thing as there are so many great no-sulfate, non-everything products out there at far more reasonable prices than Wen. I get some great products made by the founder of the salon I go to, Rocco Altobelli.

I agree with KatCat and Jacie.  I really like Acure Organics Argan Stem Cell Shampoo.  There's plenty of sulphate-free shampoos these days, as Jacie mentioned.  You have a ton of alternatives in every price range,  just by reading the labels.  I'm looking for products to help aid in straightening my natural curly hair without going the salon route.  I think I'll start a separate post.

Good luck with your search.  it shouldn't be hard to find an alternative.  I  do  love a few Wen, formulas but naturally my fave is 613 which works best and is more expensive.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Go on drugstore . com. There are plenty of cleansing conditioner options! I alternate them with Wen - I ahve the best results that way. PLUS keep my costs down.  Herbal Essence [in a bright pink container] is really good- and very  affordable! 

Trusted Contributor

YES! I've been using Matrix Bolage Cleansing Conditioner thanks to a rec by Cladys. I love the stuff. Just bought my 3rd bottle. If you get it on sale and/or combined with an Ulta coupon & points redemption, it can be pretty cheap. The last bottle I bought was about $14. IMHO it's more product than you get from WEN, it spreads & suds better, I use less plus it rinses out cleaner in my hair. Matrix makes four varieties but I use the one for curly hair.

16.9 oz

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Esteemed Contributor

Although I cannot say I am not curious but I have never tried WEN.  I just use drugstore-boxstore WHATEVER and have never had any trouble with my hair, curl, shine, manageability, etc.  I do not color, or use curlers or dryers.  I just wash and go ---- letting my hair dry naturally.  I use a bit of mousse and hairspray (again any brand on sale).  I am so wondering if anything like WEN would do any better for me.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

Huffington Post listed 11 cleansing conditioners in order of preference

Shampooing is a pretty hot topic here on HuffPost Style. While we've debated the pros and cons of going weeks without washing our hair, praised dry shampoo and experimented with apple cider vinegar hair rinses, we've recently ditched regular shampoo altogether. Stay with us...

We're now washing our scalp and strands with cleansing conditioners. Unlike traditional shampoos, these conditioners contain little to no detergents and chemicals that often leave hair dry, brittle or damaged. Their super-conditioning formulas make them especially ideal for women with thick or curly hair to help maintain moisture.

Thinking of giving cleansing conditioners a try? Here are 11 of our top picks:

cleansing conditioners

I tried the olive oil one and it is good but the pump is aweful.  The hair milk is good but oz for oz it is more expensive then wen i think. The pantene is just ok but the smell is horrid. The loreal one was ok but I think its hard to find now. I know here where i am at there are no more stores selling it.

BUT the pantene cowas( no the cc)  in the brown bottle in the ethnic hair area of your drugstore is great i just have not used it for i prefer pump bottles but it cleans very well.  The conditioning is light but good enough to detangle