Frequent Contributor

Re: Is serum absolutely necessary?

Serums are designed to deliver potent ingredients into the skin faster because of their molecular size. Serums in general can penetrate the skin better because the molecular size of the ingredients used are smaller. They are intended for the purpose of getting ingredients to work in the skin faster and that is why some people have more of a struggle when using serums. It also depends on what are the active ingredients in the serum. Again, the purpose of a serum is to target areas of the skin that might need a bit more help. 

Moisturizers are intended to create a barrier for the skin - that's all.  Their molecular size is larger to prevent anything from passing through TO the skin. When a moisturizer has added ingredients in it they can be somewhat beneficial, but the main way a moisturizer works is to hold moisture in the skin not add to it. Moisturizers may have added ingredients like hyaluronic acid to help add some moisture to the skin, but mainly their purpose is to prevent moisture loss. My dermatologist told me this when I was struggling with a severe rash on my arms and legs and they told me to use a heavy moisturizer over the top of the steroid cream I was applying to my skin. I asked what was the point of using the moisturizer and she said to protect the skin. The reason for the heavy moisturizer was she wanted the best protection for my skin from rashing any furhter. We got into a discussion about moisturizers and she point blank said they are just used to prevent moisture loss. Expensive moisturizers aren't better; they're just expensive.

Our skin loses moisture daily - if your skin is oily you have a natural moisturizer. If it is dehydrated and oily you might need moisture to help hold in that moisture. Dry patches on the skin don't get "undry" by adding a moisturizer. They get covered up BY the moisturizer. You need to exfoliate that dead skin off and moisturize it to help retain moisture in the skin. 

So are serums necessary? I think they can be benefical if your skin can handle them and if there are some skin issues you want to target on the skin like sunspots, wrinkles, sundamage, or overall health of the skin. You just need to be savvy about what is necessary versus what is overkill. Moisturizers alone while they are benefical for retaining moisture aren't always the best at targeting specific skin issues like serums. JMHO

One that I love that doesn't break the bank is Oil of Olay Fragrance Free Serum  - I have been using this a long time. It has Niaciamide in it, antioxidants, and some great peptides. Very good for the skin, IMHO.

It's around $23.

You don't need to spend a lot to have a great serum. 

Honored Contributor

IMO they are not necessary, but if you like the product and the results, then maybe you could find a cheaper alternative, or perhaps cut something else out of your budget to have money for the one you already use. If you do decide to stop using serums, and you notice your skin not looking its best, then you can always go back to using one. 

Respected Contributor

Not for me.  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

@Love2Laugh wrote:

Serums are designed to deliver potent ingredients into the skin faster because of their molecular size. Serums in general can penetrate the skin better because the molecular size of the ingredients used are smaller. They are intended for the purpose of getting ingredients to work in the skin faster and that is why some people have more of a struggle when using serums. It also depends on what are the active ingredients in the serum. Again, the purpose of a serum is to target areas of the skin that might need a bit more help. 

That is not true. Although smaller molecules (nano size) can penetrate the skin more easily,  a serum doesn't necessarily mean it has nano particles. Just depends on how its made. For example, I make my own vit C serum and none of the ingredients have small molecules. If a product has nano particles then it's usually indicated on the container somewhere.

Honored Contributor

@texasmari  It is not absolutely necessary but rather a choice.  You could take a look at Fresh skincare at Nordstrom (free shpg & returns) as they offer different prices and different serums.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I've used Dr. Denese line on and off for years.  As you see---I say on and off because I always go back to her.  Altho, I have discovered Clinique Surge for a good moisturizer recently.  I think one product I will never stray from is Dr. D firming facial pads.  I haven't found one that come close to hers!  If anyone has found facial pads they like----please post!  Dr. D. is good---but so very expensive---at least for me!

Respected Contributor

Being a 68 year old woman with oily skin, I still have clogged pores and occasional breakouts and of course some wrinkles.  I cannot use a moisterizer but a serum is good for me.  Finding one that actually does something is another story.  I use PTR retinol night time serum and I like it.  I wish I had taken a picture of my skin when I first started using it so I could really see if there is a difference.  When the change is slow over a long time hard to tell. 

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@texasmari   Check out "Fresh" skincare on their website or at Nordstrom.  Nordstrom is free shipping and Fresh is spend $50.  Any way, their products are made with wonderful ingredients and read the reviews.  I just ordered a moisturizer and I love some of their fragrances too.  Their lip polish is the best.  Prices vary from average to higher end.

Fresh still tests on animals.

Frequent Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Love2Laugh wrote:

That is not true. Although smaller molecules (nano size) can penetrate the skin more easily,  a serum doesn't necessarily mean it has nano particles. Just depends on how its made. For example, I make my own vit C serum and none of the ingredients have small molecules. If a product has nano particles then it's usually indicated on the container somewhere.

You'll notice I did NOT say nano particles. Smaller molcular size does not indicate nano particles. Nano particles are a completely different subject.

I'm talking about the molecular size of "small" in comparison to a larger molecule. not all molecules are the same size, and they do not have to be nano particles to be small. 

And I still stick with my original statement that serums, in general, penetrate the skin better because of their molecular size which is smaller than the molecular size of the molecules for the ingredients used in moisturizers.

Honored Contributor

Serums do not necessarily contain smaller molecules. For instance, the retinol or vitamin C in my creams are the same molecule size used in my serums with those ingredients. Where do you get this information? @Love2Laugh  Could you please direct me to an example? I am a biochemist and I have never heard that a serum contains smaller molecules.