Contributor

Is serum absolutely necessary?

I have been using Dr. Denese Hydroshield for a very long time, and really like it. I am just about out, and need to order more, but I am having a hard time justifying the cost. I have put myself on a budget and an trying real hard to stick to it. 

Is there a serum that you would recommend that is less expensive that you use and like. Thank you for any recommendations.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is serum absolutely necessary?

What are some of its ingredients and its benefits, need something to compare it to, thanks. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I looked at the ingredients. The Dr. Denese hydroshield serum is very simple: basically just retinol in silicone and fats (lipids) plus ceramides. You could replicate that for much cheaper using CeraVe's retinol and moisturizing products.

"CeraVe Skin Renewing Cream Serum" has retinol and fats and ceramides in it. I like that formulation better.

You could also try The Ordinary's retinol prodcts. I use their Granactive 5% HPR retinoid right now and I love it. (No dryness or irritation so far!) Those products have fats, but not ceramides in them. You would need to make sure your moisturizer had the ceramides instead. So CeraVe, again, could be the answer for that.

Edited to add: My answer the question of this post: No. Serum is not absolutely necessary. What is necessary? A good, gentle cleanser, a sunscreen you enjoy using every day, and a basic moisturizer for at night.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

What are some of its ingredients and its benefits, need something to compare it to, thanks. 

Ingredients: Dimethicone, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Ceramide II, Retinol, Tocopherol, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Ethylhexyl Cocoate, Lecithin, Glycolipids, Phenoxyethanol.

That's from the Dr. Denese website. The benefits listed are just the regular retinol and skin lipid benefits.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

It's necessary for me to use a serum, the firming serums work best for my needs. I'm sensitive to retinol so that's out for me, but I can use Vit C powder mixed with the serum for a brightening boost. I'm not on a budget, but I certainly don't want to spend anymore for great skin care than I have to. I'm not faithful to any one brand, I usually buy what the Q has a deal on. I have used the Hydroshield serum and liked it. Right now I'm using philosophy's when hope is not enough serum along with their renewed hope in a jar moisturizer which I love. I'm a senior so I don't expect miracles from lotions and potions, but I have always used the best skin care I could afford and my skin is in good shape for 68.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@texasmari   Check out "Fresh" skincare on their website or at Nordstrom.  Nordstrom is free shipping and Fresh is spend $50.  Any way, their products are made with wonderful ingredients and read the reviews.  I just ordered a moisturizer and I love some of their fragrances too.  Their lip polish is the best.  Prices vary from average to higher end.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

i don’t know for sure if they’re necessary, but serums seem to make my skin dry and that’s definitely not good. stopped using them. 

Honored Contributor

IMHO, yes. They have one purpose and that is to pack the most of the "working" ingredients into one product. Not so with moisturizers. 

I want my moisturizer to just moisturize; nothing else. I don't want it to firm, lift, exfoliate, lighten...nothing. Just hydrate. I use my serums for those specific needs.

Honored Contributor

Some things are absolutely necessary such as air and food, serum is definitely not one of them.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Some things are absolutely necessary such as air and food, serum is definitely not one of them.

I don't think she meant it that way but then again, maybe she did. My answer still stands, lol.