Trusted Contributor

Re: Is it time to break up with Mally?

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

If the mascara is getting goopy, does that mean that the Mally mascara should be shook up before using?? I do like the idea of using sterile contact lens solution to add to the mascara tube.

ETA: what about using those saline solutions for the eyes like Natural Tears? Or even Ayr which is a saline solution for noses?

@JustJazzmom, do you put the lens solution in the tube or apply it to the wand?

I don't know about this as a solution to goopy or dried up mascara, however.  Chances are that if a mascara has tried up, it is past its prime and is unsafe to use, and therefore, should be tossed. Even with preservatives added, a product can and will eventual go bad. 

I can't comment about the safeness of adding an eye or lens solution to mascara because I have no clue as to how the ingredients in either or both together chemically interact. I would, however, play it safe by not adding anything to mascara to either get it rehydrated or to thin down "goop" factor.  The eyes are too delicate to take chances with.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Trusted Contributor

If you are going to put something into, near, on or around the eye, as adding liquids to mascara, PLEASE only use sterile liquids or ones prescribed for use IN the eye, then you will be safe from harm and damage. Infections are very easy to obtain in this manner.

Regular Contributor

I don't think you should have to add a liquid to dry mascara or wipe a brand new clumpy mascara. I will be on the hunt again, sadly to say. I use to get so many compliment from people on my lashes. Last night when I got home I had smudges and flakes  under my eyes. That was a first. Man Sad

Respected Contributor

If you're having problems with old products from Mally's line, I would think it's because her company closed.  I'm sure they're selling whatever is left in stock, that's why.

Esteemed Contributor

Although I like Mally, I'm not purchasing until all the dust has settled. I notice she is showing up at the Q very little in comparison to what she used to. And the last time I saw her, she was pushing "bundles" of mascara, which I wouldn't touch. No doubt, the Q has a lot of Mally's product on hand. It seems they aen't asking her back hardly at all.

Esteemed Contributor

I was on a quest for years to find a mascara that performed liked Mally's volumne mascara does for me. I was so upset when I read about the bankrupcy filing. I didn't order any more products from the line because I assumed that they had stopped production and was selling off the inventory in stock. I did order other brands to try until all of  the $$ stuff was handled. I'm hoping they do not change formulas but this usually happens. I have been really pleased with the Bobbi Brown line of products but I do think that Mally's mascara was a bit bett er.     

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Adelina

As one poster mentioned-- its wise to use a sterile solution for the eyes and probably put a few drops into the tube and then shake the bottle so that the contents mix well. I would not attempt this with mascara over 6 months old though-- I believe that is the safe window for using a bottle of mascara. If its an opened bottle of mascara over 6 months old, I would toss it and not attempt to dilute the thickened goop.

I mentioned the Ayr solution since that is sterile too-- use an unopened bottle of that and put a few drops of that saline solution into the mascara. If you have a bottle of Ayr lying around, then I would not recommend doing that since it has been in your nose first.

I would say read the label for any of these eye solutions before purchasing them for diluting mascara. I have never encountered goopy mascara so I have not done this. Its just suggestions from a safe point of view.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

If you're having problems with old products from Mally's line, I would think it's because her company closed.  I'm sure they're selling whatever is left in stock, that's why.

Her company isn't "closed"- it was sold due to bankruptcy. It is still a company.

Regular Contributor

I just purchased the Dior show. I heard they improved the formula and I'll be testing it tonight. 

Contributor

I don't use her mascara, so I can't really speak to that. But I'm incredibly frustrated that she keeps introducing products and then discontinuing them. Three that I use regularly: the eyebrow pencil that came in the kit with the pink travel bag; taupe evercolor shadow; and the dual core lipstick. These three items are seriously HG for me but none of them are available anywhere now! So frustrating!