Occasional Contributor

Is it really true that it's the thought that counts??

If someone you have known for 15 years keeps getting you gifts that you don't like and can't use, what is the thought really worth? I admit it seems ungrateful to complain about receiving a gift at all. I don't think anyone intentionally goes out and buys someone they care about something with the intent of it getting thrown away or re-gifted.

I guess the real question is what thought is actually getting put into the gift? When I buy something for someone, I take into account their personality, things they already have and love or things that they have mentioned in passing that they might like. I don't want my money to go to waste and I am always happy when I see the person using the item. I am sure that it makes them feel good that I know them well enough to get them something that represents what they like.

The on-going debate in my office is if you just keep accepting and dreading the bad gifts with false gratitude, drop obvious hints until the person catches on or just plain tell them it's not your taste? Something tells me that "Secret Santa" is going to be a hot mess this year...