Honored Contributor

Re: Is drug store hair color really worse than salon color?

@BeccaLou wrote:

@PilatesLover I really been thinking about how unsafe hair color is, so I am letting my go grey. Mine is salt&pepper, and bought a few wigs in the color I always colored mine. No one is the wiser.I don't feel well enough to color it any more, and the salon cost is not in my budget anymore.

@BeccaLou  - If hair color was unsafe, it would be taken off the market.

Trusted Contributor

@mjmm wrote:
I'm using natural medium brown henna. A company call morrocco method. It's easy and no harmful chemicals. My hair is stronger, softer. The different part is mixing the henna the night before then when you're ready to color mix the indigo and mix it together with the henna. I use a hair coloring brush to apply but then just mush in the rest. Have to leave it on for 1-4 hours. Rinsed out easily. Cleans up easily.

That sounds interesting!

Trusted Contributor

@Deonnagrrl wrote:

My arthritic hands just don't allow me to color my own hair (I'm 46 with RA, boo!).  So, my husband has to put box color on if I choose to go that route.  He doesn't mind doing it, but he definitely prefers when I go to have it done professionally.  This is going to sound crazy, but I usually choose the local beauty college.  It's dirt-cheap, there are professionals watching the students closely, and the ones who work on me are always the more experienced ones. 

I haven't had any problems.  In fact, I got one of the best colors of my life there.  It feels good that I'm helping them learn, too.  Like all other non-essential places, it's closed for now, so I think I'm just going to embrace these roots until then.  They are salt-and-pepper and somehow just seem to be making my curly hair more interesting at this time.

This is one of the main reasons I haven't been coloring my hair at home all these years.  Arthritis and joint damage. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

I have my hair colored because I cannot do the professional job that my stylist does and I do not like the mess of at home hair color. I can't speak to the quality of the product....I have no idea. 

Honored Contributor

If hair color was unsafe, it would be taken off the market.

Like cigarettes?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

If hair color was unsafe, it would be taken off the market.

Like cigarettes?

I stand corrected @monicakm .  Good point.  So instead I'll say that if hair color was unsafe, there would be a warning from the Surgeon General on all the boxes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover wrote:

I had a chat with my hairdresser about postponing my appointment again due to lockdowns where I live.  I asked her what brand of hair color I should use to tide me over until I see her again, which might not be until July or even later at this point.

She told me none of them are good and I should just use the wash out root touch up spray.

So bottom line, are the boxed home use brands really all that much worse than salon color?  I can understand her wanting to protect her business but I also am very unhappy with my hair right now.

I color my hair at home, and I'm just as happy with the results as I ever was when I had it done at salons.  I get compliments on my color all the time, and I find it much more convenient to do it myself, so I'm not the slightest bit tempted to ever have it done at a salon again. My stylist is amazed at how healthy my hair is and how long the color lasts.  I think you should give it a try.

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I have been using Loreal Excellence for many, many years. I've always gotten compliments on my hair color.....mostly because folks thought I had it colored at a salon.  However, during this crisis, I'm leaning towards not coloring it again until I can get it cut.  I'm curious to see what my gray looks like. My beautician has always said my gray is not going to be pretty, like my mother's was!

I'm holding off on coloring too, mostly because literally no one is seeing me, but also because I want to see how much grey I actually have and what it looks like.  My grandmother had the most beautiful silver-grey hair, and I'd be happy looking like her, but I'm not too hopeful.  Still, this seems like a good time to find out.

And yes, like you, I often have people assume my hair was colored in a salon.  I have no idea why - I'm not particularly talented.  But it's really not that difficult to do.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal There ya go. That's better Smiley Happy  Ever been to the Tyler, Tx area?  That's where I am.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@San Antonio Gal There ya go. That's better Smiley Happy  Ever been to the Tyler, Tx area?  That's where I am.

Haven't been to Tyler @monicakm .  I'm living in Memphis now.  Missing San Antonio.  Hope you & fam doing well in Tyler.  Smiley Happy