Honored Contributor

Re: Is drug store hair color really worse than salon color?

I have been using L'Oreal Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Color for several years.  No one  has mentioned this product on this thread.  I love it but looking on line it seems to average a 3 star rating Smiley Surprised  I use French Roast (deep bronzed brown).  I'm happy with the way my hair feels (and looks of course) with the product.  I've had my hair done at a salon maybe 3 times and the color didn't last any longer than the boxed version.  I ventured slightly off track (or so I thought) and tried L'Oreal Excellence Cream in Dark Ash Brown (because of my "cool" coloring") and it was THE worst mistake of my life (hair color wise!)  It turned a blue-black.  Srsly, you could see the blue in it.  It's been 2 months and now it's a lifeless dull ashy black.  I've never seen hair color hold like this.  My mother said it looks like the roots are even coming in black Smiley Surprised  I'm not waiting one second more.  Soon as I hit Post, I'm going to color my hair and be my beautiful French Roast self again Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I have been using L'Oreal Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Color for several years.  No one  has mentioned this product on this thread.  I love it but looking on line it seems to average a 3 star rating Smiley Surprised  I use French Roast (deep bronzed brown).  I'm happy with the way my hair feels (and looks of course) with the product.  I've had my hair done at a salon maybe 3 times and the color didn't last any longer than the boxed version.  I ventured slightly off track (or so I thought) and tried L'Oreal Excellence Cream in Dark Ash Brown (because of my "cool" coloring") and it was THE worst mistake of my life (hair color wise!)  It turned a blue-black.  Srsly, you could see the blue in it.  It's been 2 months and now it's a lifeless dull ashy black.  I've never seen hair color hold like this.  My mother said it looks like the roots are even coming in black Smiley Surprised  I'm not waiting one second more.  Soon as I hit Post, I'm going to color my hair and be my beautiful French Roast self again Smiley Happy

Féria is not recommended if you have a high percentage of grey hair. 

Honored Contributor

That surely can't be the reason for a 3 star rating...or maybe it can.  Luckily for me, at 61 I have very little gray.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Not worse, just different which makes it more difficult for her to correct once you go back to her.  

I did see a segment on Live with Kelly & Ryan with her hairdresser saying if you use anything besides the sprays or powders he recommended one of those root touch-up kits.  

That is exactly what my hairdresser said.  It would be difficult to correct.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

That surely can't be the reason for a 3 star rating...or maybe it can.  Luckily for me, at 61 I have very little gray.

@monicakm , I have very little grey myself. Féria was a great choice and a good recommendation. It leaves hair silky and full of highlights. 

Respected Contributor

I used Clairol's Nice 'N Easy for years and then changed to L'Oreal's Superior Preference. I've never had a problem and prefer coloring my own hair after a couple of earlier experiences of having my hair colored at a salon. When I wanted my hair just slightly darker, I mixed Clairol colors to get the shade I wanted. Now, L'Oreal has the color I'm very satisfied with. Since I only color all of my hair about every 3 months and do only the roots (using the same boxed color) in between, I don't have damage to my hair. It's also more convenient for me to color my hair at home than to schedule an appointment because I work a lot of hours. However, cutting my own medium-length hair is a completely different story Lol.

Honored Contributor

As I was rinsing the color out of my hair, I realize how my previous statement might have sounded pretty stupid without a qualifier.  Not everyone colors their hair to cover gray.  If they do color to cover gray and Feria doesn't cover it well, it would have a poor rating.  I don't use it to cover gray for the most part.  Sorry about that!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm   The color you were using was a warm color..hence the description bronzed .

Any color with Ash in the title is a cool color..that means no bronze, red or gold.

You applied a cool color over a warm color.  I am sure both products are great if they are the correct color you are trying to achieve.

If you prefer warm shades, make sure you choose warm colors and stay away from cool colors.

Contributor

I use John Frieda foam-in hair color, but natural dark brown.  It definitely is darker than I want, but it's shiny and so easy to do.I have grays but this covers it.   Color lasts about 4 weeks at best.  I've been using this for several years.  I do find anything that has a red or gold base makes for hot roots.  If you seriously want a pretty chocolate brown, which is what I always aimed for, you need to have it done professionally, unless you can live with hot red roots.   I am always tempted to lighten my hair color, but you can't lighten color with color.  Learned that the hard way.   Many years ago, I wanted light blonde hair from my natural medium brown, and I used the lightest shade of box color, and after doing it three days in a row, I looked like a freak with 4" white roots and about 6" of nasty dark orange  hair.  I decided to cover it all with dark brown henna, and wound up with olive green hair for two years.   Not very pretty!   But it was shiny!  And I got alot of strange looks. When you are 30, you can get away with alot more than when you are 70!   Just stay close to your natural color.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Oh boy I feel your pain!!  I had mine done to a near black....like Elvis!!  But I didn't do it to myself....I let a salon owner do my hair with 30yrs experience that made a total mess of my hair!  I first had dark brown hair with orange stripes put in by her instead of blonde highlightsWoman Surprised  she tried to FIX it and turned it blackWoman Surprised  

I went up to Sally's and had them compare the hair samples for color to match how dark mine was....it was a level 2...which is super dark.

I didn't know what to do....I washed it over and over hoping to fade it...all that did was reveal black hair with orange stripes! LOL what a nightmare.

Then I bought a product called color Oops.....and it removed it from my hair....like a miracle.  I then had to mix 2 different box colors together and apply to my hair to get at least a medium brown shade of hair.  I had called the help line....truly a horrible experience.

THat has happened to me 2 times in my lifetime....I was in my 20's the 1st time a inexperienced stylist did my hair....and then in my 40's by a very experienced person.  

I proceed with caution when it comes to hair color....I always mix a test batch and try a patch area pn my roots and see.  Then the same with the ends if I was to do my ends.

My hair is a natural level 5 with gray now and pulls a lot of orange easily.  So easy to have it go all wrong and look like bozo the clown.