Trusted Contributor

Is drug store hair color really worse than salon color?

I had a chat with my hairdresser about postponing my appointment again due to lockdowns where I live.  I asked her what brand of hair color I should use to tide me over until I see her again, which might not be until July or even later at this point.

She told me none of them are good and I should just use the wash out root touch up spray.

So bottom line, are the boxed home use brands really all that much worse than salon color?  I can understand her wanting to protect her business but I also am very unhappy with my hair right now.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is drug store hair color really worse than salon color?

I use Revlon Colorsilk for the last 23 years, works for me , no ammonia and permanent. Under $3 at Walmart!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover 

A good colorist will mix a custom color for you.  You can't do that with boxed color.  I started thinking about doing just my roots but remember how that went when I used to do that myself.  Not nearly as good as what my colorist does. 

I am using a wash out root spray right now.  Not ideal, but I've done the box color thing and it's just not as good as what my stylist can do.

JMHO.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover  When I colored my hair I used Natural Instincts by Clairol.  It does not contain ammonia and is gentle on the hair.  I had used ammonia hair color at one time and the Natural Instincts lasted the same amount of time as far as gray coming thru.  Natural Insincts colors your hair but does not change the color like permanent color.  Your hair stylist told you that home color is bad because she wants your business.  I no longer color my hair but by using the Natural Instincts my hair is not damaged and dry.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Not worse, just different which makes it more difficult for her to correct once you go back to her.  

I did see a segment on Live with Kelly & Ryan with her hairdresser saying if you use anything besides the sprays or powders he recommended one of those root touch-up kits.  

Respected Contributor

I color my own hair for many years, probably 20.  I have had it done at times in the salon and the salon does not produce better results than the box.  In fact every hairdresser I've had in the past 5 years has given me unsolicited compliments on my color.  I just don't see what the big deal is to color at home unless you have a complicated color such as red, or are dealing with multi colors like highlights or baliage.  For reference my hair is now mostly gray and I dye it blonde.  My natural color was a light brown/dark blonde.  

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLoverI much prefer my hair when I have it colored professionally -  like the color better, like the evenness of the application better, etc.   

I'm sure some of my preference is based on my kind of hair as well as my own skill (or lack of) in applying boxed color.  Further, I know that once I color at home, it's that much more difficult for my colorist to get me back to exactly what I like and what they like.

So, I will go back to my professional ASAP, but in the meantime I use L'Oreal's Preference and I know I look far better than I would going natural.  Just wish I could do nearly as well doing my own trimming and/or cutting.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover   When I colored my hair, the difficulty was the colors on the boxes or little "loops of hair" are never the same as it turns out on your hair. It's lighter on the roots...virgin hair and maybe grey compared to the rest. If you get it on the rest of your hair, it builds up getting darker and ends up different than root color. The 2nd time, you get a third color, the older roots you did once and now new virgin roots taking color differently again. Add in the fade factor? I'd stay w/ a root touch up only and let the pros do what they know how to match. 

Honored Contributor

I have been using Loreal Excellence for many, many years. I've always gotten compliments on my hair color.....mostly because folks thought I had it colored at a salon.  However, during this crisis, I'm leaning towards not coloring it again until I can get it cut.  I'm curious to see what my gray looks like. My beautician has always said my gray is not going to be pretty, like my mother's was!

Trusted Contributor

@PilatesLover   I've always colored my own hair. The product that works best for me is Garnier Nutrisse.  The hairdressor that cuts my hair always compliments me on the color and texture, says she couldn't do a better job for me.