Respected Contributor

Re: Is drug store hair color really worse than salon color?

My experience has been the color you buy in the store is not the same quality a salon has access to. When I was doing my own it eventually has a mauve cast to it. That has never happened when done professionally. Also, I had trouble getting the back of my head done.

Super Contributor

I am missing my hair done also... Had an appointment in April and now missed  again in May... Can't wait to get a good hair haircut again and hi-lights.  My hair is med. brown and now I can see the roots and undecided if I should try and fix them myself... It's not hard to do and just not sure of color and product... So while playing with makeup today I found an old brown eyeshadow that I don't wear that color and touched up my roots with it and a soft small brush... Well I must say it's not that bad and will continue playing again...If it works until the salon opens and it makes me Ok with my hair - so be it...  Just a thought...

Honored Contributor

I have used Loreal Preference for years; my stylist recommends it if I do it at home. I have used some of the root touchups but not a big fan. The problem with lots of the boxed color is trying to lighten the hair too much....if you try and go more than two shades lighter you just get a weird red brassy result...the salon can lift your natural color enough so it takes the lightener correctly.
If you are just wanting to cover grey, my stylist says to leave it on 45 minutes...I was horrified at that idea but I tried it and it worked....the few grays I have around my temples never take any color at all...but at 45 minutes they do!
Super Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

I had a chat with my hairdresser about postponing my appointment again due to lockdowns where I live.  I asked her what brand of hair color I should use to tide me over until I see her again, which might not be until July or even later at this point.

She told me none of them are good and I should just use the wash out root touch up spray.

So bottom line, are the boxed home use brands really all that much worse than salon color?  I can understand her wanting to protect her business but I also am very unhappy with my hair right now.

I did my own hair color for many years and got compliments even from professionals about my pretty hair color.  I am sure professionals don't like at home hair color.  It takes money out of their pockets. 

Contributor

I have been using E Salon for over 2 years. I have a custom color blend and they deliver to my door every 6 weeks. My hair color is multi toned, not a flat color. The condition of my hair is better than with my old salon colors. I have saved over 1500 dollars, but have to use 2 mirrors to color myself. I always get compliments on my hair and I have some gray to color. You can customize and change anything you need with E Salon. You might want to give them a try.

Trusted Contributor

I've used Loreal Excellence for decades. My hair is red and they have more than 1 color that is good for me depending if I want it a little lighter in the summer. People are always shocked that I've used a box for years. Most of my friends are blond and spend over $100 a month on their hair. I wish the rest of my body had held up as good as my hair. It's curly too so I don't have a routine 4-6 week hair cut either. My hair the one thing I don't spend a lot of money on.