Respected Contributor

Re: Is drug store hair color really worse than salon color?

@scatcat wrote:

I personally think a professional job looks professional and better.  IMO a home dye job looks like a home dye job.  My neighbor just broke down and dyed her hair.  It's a weird light brown with an orange tinge.  

@scatcat  I was getting a mauve cast to my hair and that is when I started having it done professionally. Big difference.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Years ago I had the worst experience with a salon colorist. My brunette hair was done with what turned out to be permanent black leaning cool rather than warm. For the last 11 years I have been happily doing my own coloring using Clairol root touch up kit. My husband helps me color the top parts I can’t see and underneath areas. Especially thankful now for these kits with current situation! My home pedicures however really leave a lot to be desired!
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@PilatesLover 

A good colorist will mix a custom color for you.  You can't do that with boxed color.  I started thinking about doing just my roots but remember how that went when I used to do that myself.  Not nearly as good as why my colorist does. 

I am using a wash out root spray right now.  Not ideal, but I've done the box color thing and it's just not as good as what my stylist can do.

JMHO.

I've mixed my own box color from the store with no issues. I just made sure I worked with formulas from the exact same line.

@Alison Wonderland 

Nice that it works for you.

I get highlights and lowlights and it's done far better by my stylist.

Probably so... When that's an option... Right now and for the foreseeable future it isn't...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover Clariol Root Control works well for me

Contributor

I use Loreal also and I have for many years! I  only do my roots and my hair turns out great..I use Light Brown number 6 and I will never go back to a salon ever!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

While there may a difference in quality compared to salon hair color chemicals, and while, I do believe hair coloring is an art and a skill... boxed hair color looks fine on many women- Your colorist is motivated to keep you as a customer. If you realize you can do it yourself, you might save hundreds of dollars per year, her loss!  Perhaps that's why she said ALL boxed color is bad...  ? 

Trusted Contributor

Wait for your hairdresser!  Just spray or powder in the part and temples.   Home color job is well, a home color job.  It's not like anyone is going out on the town these days anyway.  In a mask and glasses, I'm not sure anyone really sees/cares about any stray grays.

Trusted Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I use Revlon Colorsilk for the last 23 years, works for me , no ammonia and permanent. Under $3 at Walmart!!

@Shelbelle 

My mother was a hairdresser for many years. After she stopped working she colored her own hair and used Revlon Colorsilk.

@PilatesLover 

As a DIY boxed hair color user with almost 35 years of experience, I think your hairdresser is either lying or has never tried it herself. My favorite brand is Garnier Nutrisse.

Respected Contributor

Great thread! So helpful for us newbie at home colorists!  
 A couple questions please...  I need to do all over color, (they grays are everywhere) and I'm naturally very dark brown, (with about 30% grays now) but want to be a little lighter, if possible. But my hair is very dry, coarse, curly, frizz-prone and gets damaged very easily. Also I was reading that going lighter may get me to orange! Orange is scary!  Any advice from the experts? TIA!!  Stay safe everyone- 💝

Valued Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I use Revlon Colorsilk for the last 23 years, works for me , no ammonia and permanent. Under $3 at Walmart!!

ITA! Been using it at least that long..they've added Biotin now...I'll never be w/o it.. the price is amazing! Think of all the money we saved!!!! Woman Happy