Honored Contributor

Re: Is drug store hair color really worse than salon color?

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@PilatesLover 

A good colorist will mix a custom color for you.  You can't do that with boxed color.  I started thinking about doing just my roots but remember how that went when I used to do that myself.  Not nearly as good as why my colorist does. 

I am using a wash out root spray right now.  Not ideal, but I've done the box color thing and it's just not as good as what my stylist can do.

JMHO.

I've mixed my own box color from the store with no issues. I just made sure I worked with formulas from the exact same line.

@Alison Wonderland 

Nice that it works for you.

I get highlights and lowlights and it's done far better by my stylist.

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover    what is your dyed hair color?  are your roots white, gray, %?

Contributor

I use the Revlon Colorsilk as well, and have for at least 10 years (probably longer...).  I'm very happy with the coverage and with the way my hair feels when I'm finished.

I feel it's only fair to note, here, that my mom is/was a hairdresser for 40 years, and still offers all the time to do it for me with salon products (she still maintains her license).  Mom did great, but I feel that those chemicals are harsher and leave my naturally curly, naturally dry hair even dryer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never done any coloring at home, and I'm not going to start now. Fortunately, I have light brown curly hair, which does somewhat mitigate the horror of roots and lack of a trim. I will wait for my salon to reopen.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I personally think a professional job looks professional and better.  IMO a home dye job looks like a home dye job.  My neighbor just broke down and dyed her hair.  It's a weird light brown with an orange tinge.  

Trusted Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

My hair is colored an auburn/medium brown shade.  My roots are coming in with some silver strands but mostly my original dark brown mixed with an awful deep gray "salt and pepper."  Silver at the temples and ears only.

Trusted Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

I personally think a professional job looks professional and better.  IMO a home dye job looks like a home dye job.  My neighbor just broke down and dyed her hair.  It's a weird light brown with an orange tinge.  

Well that's frightening.  Egads.

Esteemed Contributor

@PilatesLover 

I've colored my hair for over 20 years and had it colored off and on at salons.

Without exception, my home color has looked better than salon color.  Possibly, my stylists just didn't know what they were doing, or used the wrong products.

The salon color turned orange after a few days.  Always.  My box color (mostly Revlon's Colorsilk) never turned orange.

My hair was naturally dark brunette and I use a neutral light brown.  It looks very natural...and I've been told that many times.  

Maybe if you are getting highlights or something complex, it's better to have it done at a salon.  But, I'm just doing roots every 3 weeks.

I don't want to pay salon prices that often.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

NO!!!

(I am a natural blonde)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

My hair is colored an auburn/medium brown shade.  My roots are coming in with some silver strands but mostly my original dark brown mixed with an awful deep gray "salt and pepper."  Silver at the temples and ears only.

@PilatesLover   ok so if you do decide  you should be fine w/box color and do just the roots.  you can pull the rest of the color through quickly if you want...5 min. ed. i should have said:  process roots for 25-35 min and at the end of that timing, pull the rest of the color through...thats what i did when i used Feria and Garnier. (i use Ion now)(and check roots too after 25 min.

i was asking because if you have blonde and/or highlighted blonde hair it is trickier to get a good blonde result