Respected Contributor

Re: Is drug store hair color really worse than salon color?

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@PilatesLover 

A good colorist will mix a custom color for you.  You can't do that with boxed color.  I started thinking about doing just my roots but remember how that went when I used to do that myself.  Not nearly as good as why my colorist does. 

I am using a wash out root spray right now.  Not ideal, but I've done the box color thing and it's just not as good as what my stylist can do.

JMHO.

I've mixed my own box color from the store with no issues. I just made sure I worked with formulas from the exact same line.

Respected Contributor

I've been coloring my hair for over 20 years now. I spent most of that time using drugstore color and a few years ago I made the change to professional color from a beauty supply store.

It made a BIG difference, especially in my resistant greys. A few months ago, they were out of my regular color and I went with another brand and that also made a big difference, and not in a good way. 

Ion Brilliance Color Cream is what I normally use to color my brown hair an auburn shade. Reds always fade more easily, but Ion has kept my hair redder longer. I usually mix two shades to get the shade I like best and have never had an issue. And the Ion really sticks to my grays better than any drugstore brand. The last time I colored I used Wella color and that faded more quickly and practically flew off my grays two weeks after coloring.

What I don't get at home is highlights or lowlights, so if you do that at your salon, you won't get the same look at home.

Ion is available at Sally Beauty.

Honored Contributor

I've used natural demi-perm dye on my roots.  I have dark brown hair and its short, so my colorist only does my roots because my ends get cut every 4 weeks so I don't have build up issues.

When I used to color my hair myself, I used to use Loreal Excellence and use 2 colors (not mixed together, just applied differently-- darker color on the roots, lighter color on the rest).  I always use the main shade and one shade lighter.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover Sounds like she has an agenda. You might begin to prefer the ease of doing it at home. Hmmm...

I colored my hair for years and my hairdresser said the product I was using was just fine for my needs. She knew I didn't want the hassle of getting it done at the salon, nor the expense.

Just a thought.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

I had a chat with my hairdresser about postponing my appointment again due to lockdowns where I live.  I asked her what brand of hair color I should use to tide me over until I see her again, which might not be until July or even later at this point.

She told me none of them are good and I should just use the wash out root touch up spray.

So bottom line, are the boxed home use brands really all that much worse than salon color?  I can understand her wanting to protect her business but I also am very unhappy with my hair right now.

No

she's giving you a line 

Honored Contributor

JMPO

I think the stuff in salons is formulated differently, more pigments, different chemicals etc than what we get in the store.

it's really hard to do your own at home if you have lots of hair etc. 

ask me how I know this :-)

so maybe OP's stylist was trying to save her client from being disappointed? 

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

I had a chat with my hairdresser about postponing my appointment again due to lockdowns where I live.  I asked her what brand of hair color I should use to tide me over until I see her again, which might not be until July or even later at this point.

She told me none of them are good and I should just use the wash out root touch up spray.

So bottom line, are the boxed home use brands really all that much worse than salon color?  I can understand her wanting to protect her business but I also am very unhappy with my hair right now.

I use two things: Loreal Magic Root Touch Up in the torquise can and Loreal Root Touch Up.  I would only use Loreal Root Touch (in white box) when it would be too long in between going to salon.  The spray (Magic Root Touch Up) I'd use to hold me over a little while.  Right now I'm still using the Magic Root Touch Up but will breaking open the box soon.  I've been doing this for years.  

Trusted Contributor

@Alison Wonderland 

I have used Ion from Sally Beauty for several years, and I love it!  The color looks as good as when I had it done in my salon.  Everyone thinks that I am still getting it "done" monthly when I get my haircut.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you everyone!  I appreciate all of the points raised, pro and con and in between.

♥♥♥♥♥

Honored Contributor

Insider information here from a licensed hairdresser who specialized in cutting and color.

Permanent hair color from the box is the same quality as what your hairdresser applies in the salon.  What is different might be the colors.  Your hairdresser might mix custom colors or do some " add ins" like a drop of green or red or use a different type of peroxide.

My suggestion: buy a box of Excellence in a color that is aclose match to what you want.  Colors come in warm or cool shades.  Warm colors will be more golden or red.  

Get a couple of hair clips. Divide your hair into 4 sections down the middle in both directions and clip it out of the way.  Only color the roots.  Check color after 20 minutes,,if desired result not achieved...leave on longer.  It won't hurt your hair. After about 45 minutes the color goes stale and won't be worth leaving it on longer than that.

For the last 5 minutes, pull the color through to the ends of the hair, so,that your whole head is covered. That will refresh the " old color"

There are videos on YouTube showing you how to apply color by lifting sections with the bottle nozzle. It really is easy...even if doing the back.

Good luck..any questions?  get back to me.

I do not recommend semi permanent or a shampoo in hair color.