Frequent Contributor

Is buying too much make-up a sign of OCD? Do you have too much make-up?

Hi everyone. I started out wearing make-up later in life, and now I think I have made up for never really wearing it in my younger years. For you ladies who love make-up, do you have a big stash of it? Has it got out of control? I see some of the you tube video's wear people have a whole room organized full of make-up. Is that a sign of OCD, or do we just buy make-up because we want to try something, or it is on sale, a good price, and then never use it all up?

Just curious what others consider it being too much.

Thank you and God bless you all.

Valued Contributor

Re: Is buying too much make-up a sign of OCD? Do you have too much make-up?

Since I worked in retail make-up (Merle Norman) for twelve years, I got over the having to have the latest colors etc.....we were constantly changing out for the next season.

My make up is just what I need and use. Haven't changed colors in years....I know what I like and what works best for me. Smiley Happy

It is so easy to go overboard on anything.

Respected Contributor

I agree with motherinlaw. I definitely don't overbuy any beauty products including hair products, bath and body products and cosmetics. I don't have the extra money to overbuy and especially with cosmetics it is definitely better not to buy too many products since they have a short shelf life. At least I have read many articles that most beauty products should be replaced, anywhere from 4 months, (mascara) to a couple of years for eyeshadow.

http://beauty.about.com/od/makeuptrickstips/a/shelflife.htm

This is just one of the many articles that you can read about the shelf life of makeup.

Honored Contributor

If you can't stop buying, if you crave the rush of the buying process but get depressed and let down afterwards and need to repeat the cycle, if you suspect that you can't stop, then some form of compulsion might be what's going on.

I daresay we all have a bit of this; it's a matter of degree. Most people, if they are going to be honest with themselves, know when it's becoming a problem. You can feel it. It's painful.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with finances. Even a billionaire can suffer from forms of OCD, including compulsive shopping.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I don't have anywhere near a room full of makeup, but I definitely have a lot more than I need. I still buy new stuff sometimes, but I'm really trying to be more mindful about it. It's on my list to do another purge sometime very soon.

Honored Contributor

I think if you can afford to buy it, if it isn't causing any financial problems and if your makeup collection makes you happy, it's probably okay. It's makeup for you, cookware for others, jewelry for some, clothing for others......you get it. We all spend our money on something.
Super Contributor

Your post made me laugh a little bit at myself, because I, too never wore any makeup until I got older. I did collect quite a lot of it in the process of trying different things out. I had no idea what would work for me, so I did what I think lots of us get done as girls or as twenty-somethings. Or maybe not, maybe our looks and needs change later and we have to experiment all over again? Anyway, I eventually found a pretty simple set of items that I know how to work with and that work for me, and I've just about gotten rid of all the other things. But still, I do try new things when they really compel my attention. Sometimes, the more expensive items are the best value because of how well they perform and how long they last.

Honored Contributor

No........it's just a ""girl thing""

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

AS far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as too much makeup!! I always keep a spare of anything I use all the time and by now I have found products that work for me BUT... I still enjoy trying new products that catch my interest as everything in life changes and so many times I have had loved products discontinued and I like to know there is something out there that could work for me once the discontinued stuff runs out.

Respected Contributor

After years of trying different products, I've finally whittled it down to a precious few: Dr. Denese's Hydroshield and a couple of the Skinn products. It's as good as it's going to get. Love that I can actually see my bathroom counter top again.