Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is buying too much make-up a sign of OCD? Do you have too much make-up?

My most flattering things are already here, so I am not looking for anything new these days too much. It's just when I run out of something or it breaks. Things tend to last me for a long time because I only enhance what I already got.

I can see where shopping TV, though, can entice someone to buy something when they really do not need it, or was never looking for something like that in the first place. I can also see where some may think if it's on shopping TV, it must be the very best or what's in fashion and you just gotta have it.

Honored Contributor

I don't consider it a sign of OCD. I love to buy makeup, I buy what's in my budget, and I don't have OCD, LOL.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

On 2/15/2015 chrystaltree said: I think if you can afford to buy it, if it isn't causing any financial problems and if your makeup collection makes you happy, it's probably okay. It's makeup for you, cookware for others, jewelry for some, clothing for others......you get it. We all spend our money on something.

ITA

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

I bought clear organizer drawers from The Container Store - helps me see my makeup and stay organized. The good news is, I see what I have and rotate products more often - and have little space for any more!
Super Contributor

If it weren't for home shopping, the beauty boards, and YouTube, I'd probably still be wearing drugstore. LOL. There is something about wanting the "latest and greatest" that seemed to make my stash grow. When I got sick, I got scared straight because money became an issue. Now, I watch and learn but realize I have my core products that look good and I'm happy with, so I try to avoid spending and just use the above mentioned as resources for tips, good prices, and sales on things I need. I do have moments of weakness, but have learned to "shop my stash" to get over those moments.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I know I buy too much of this stuff. I would love to be at a place where I have found the products that I just love and that work for me. Also, since I have gotten older, I have just not been able to find my go-to complete makeup -- face, eyes, lips --- that I feel totally flatter me.

I really want to pare down. I am very tired of all this junk I own (makeup and skin care, speaking).

I know why I keeping buying --- I am trying and trying to find products which suit me, flatter me, and don't cause me skin problems.

I know that I will never look and be young again -- so, that's not the problem. I just want to have a set regimen of products that work for me and that I feel really are the best and most flattering for me.

Of course, I do like and enjoy looking at beautiful shades of shadow and lipstick. These are my 2 favorite items to look at.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I got into mu late in life too and have well made up for it. I love to buy mu for some reason. All those pretty colors. I especially love how they make designs in the products. So pretty. My problem is using it. I don't even wear it all that often but am trying to make the time in the morning. So, I have tossed more than I have used. I have bought some lately but am trying not to overdo it. There are so many things/brands I want to try and things I think I will use, but then they only end up in a drawer never to be seen again. I think if you buy it and use it, not necessarily use it up, but enjoy it, that is good, but if you are buying and it only ends up in a drawer, I think that is a problem - for me. It is so much fun though.

Edited to say:I agree, Angelpuppy, I think that is my problem too, I just havent found products that have wowed me or have become my holy grail. Especially skincare.

Super Contributor

I only buy what I need. Im frugal and don't like clutter.

Valued Contributor

I've had too much make up for 50 years!!!! My Mom let me try Revlon lip gloss and blush when I was 13 and now I'm 63 and have several drawers of make up/skincare. Just like to try the newest formulations. Or as I like to say, my face is my hobby!!!!

Valued Contributor

My biggest addiction seems to be too many lip products. I do have more than I need but a few years ago, I pared down my collection and now have probably 10-15 lip products. Everything else, I seem to be able to keep under control. I don't like having a lot stuff but sometimes, I just want to try something new (get tired of using the same thing).