Valued Contributor

Re: Is beekman soap really that good?

@x Hedge wrote:

So is their soap a soap, or a detergent?

I haven't looked into their ingredients.

I have a bar I received from my mother.  And reading the ingreds. I noticed in this particular bar that goat milk was like the 6th ingredient.  Which I found surprising as goat milk is their star ingredient.  As for the bar "experience", it did make a nice lather, and the rinse was clean but not tight.  If you want deodorant properties, this is not the bar for you, I work out most days so I need help in this area.  Overall I didn't think the soap was anything extraordinary.          

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Soaps can be drying and detergents can be moisturizing, and vice versa @Georgiagrama .

They're determined by their ingredients, but in common speech they're often used incorrectly.

So I wondered if anyone who knows their chemistry has looked. If not, I will but it's a time consuming chore for me.

You here @SilleeMee ?

Yes, @x Hedge Woman Happy

Soaps are made from natural ingredients (made with natural fats saponified with lye) and detergents have mostly man made ingredients in them, for example petroleum products (sulfates), artificial preservative/antibacterial chemicals. Both can dry out the skin or hair. 

Honored Contributor

I just have no interest in trying anything made from goats milk, I will stick with my shower gels in liquids. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Actually i was thinking more about ingredients added solely for the customer's expectation of lather, and what I'll be putting down the drain. 

Old house, old plumbing. I baby the pipes and avoid the plumber as much as I can.

@Northray 

Thank you, @SilleeMee .

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

Soaps can be drying and detergents can be moisturizing, and vice versa @Georgiagrama .

They're determined by their ingredients, but in common speech they're often used incorrectly.

So I wondered if anyone who knows their chemistry has looked. If not, I will but it's a time consuming chore for me.

You here @SilleeMee ?

Yes, @x Hedge Woman Happy

Soaps are made from natural ingredients (made with natural fats saponified with lye) and detergents have mostly man made ingredients in them, for example petroleum products (sulfates), artificial preservative/antibacterial chemicals. Both can dry out the skin or hair. 

I love your post, so informative.  And as a fellow germaphobe, I appreciate the information you give.  Question tho:  So you know how they are trying to get handwashing soap and the such to remove triclosan(SP?) (and I forget why right now) anyway some Doctors say you don't need Tricolson anyways, just washing your hands is enough.  Do you think that's true?  

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Valued Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Actually i was thinking more about ingredients added solely for the customer's expectation of lather, and what I'll be putting down the drain. 

Old house, old plumbing. I baby the pipes and avoid the plumber as much as I can.

@Northray 

Yeah, I'm not sure what ingreds makes the lather.    

-Rumi
Trusted Contributor

I like their bar soaps -- prefer the less-scented ones.  They are nice to give as gifts.  They last a long time and stay firm a long time.

I do not recommend their liquid hand soap, though -- it doesn't lather much and is hard to pump out. 

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge 

I had to laugh when I read your post.  I'm an old lady.  I can remember many times playing outside  and getting so dirty, my grandmother would put Tide in a washtub and tell us it was a bubble bath.  We were in "hog heaven" Smiley LOL  Cold water and Tide !!  Of course, young skin could take it and to her credit, she did rinse us off. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@Northray wrote:

I love your post, so informative.  And as a fellow germaphobe, I appreciate the information you give.  Question tho:  So you know how they are trying to get handwashing soap and the such to remove triclosan(SP?) (and I forget why right now) anyway some Doctors say you don't need Tricolson anyways, just washing your hands is enough.  Do you think that's true?  

@Northray 

Triclosan is added to something to prevent bacterial contamination. The use of Triclosan in hand soaps has not proven to be any better at removing bacterial from the skin than plain soap. The FDA says there's no benefit to using Triclosan. Just wash your hands properly and you'll be fine without it.

"5 Things to Know About Triclosan"

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm205999.htm

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Northray 

Thank you, @SilleeMee .

Soap scum comes from soap and that can coat drain pipes. Pouring boiling water down the drain will dissolve soap scum build-up. Do it on a regular basis to avoid clogs. @x Hedge