Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is Ulta discontinuing Laura Geller? 😰

I imagine that brands that don't sell well at Ulta (and Sephora) end up getting pulled from their stores and website. I think Ulta is banking on Colorpop and Kylie Jenner's makeup line to pull in revenue.

Esteemed Contributor

@TY1 wrote:

I imagine that brands that don't sell well at Ulta (and Sephora) end up getting pulled from their stores and website. I think Ulta is banking on Colorpop and Kylie Jenner's makeup line to pull in revenue.

@TY1  Ulta's marketing plan (which began with remodeling existing stores a few years ago) is working well these days.  In 2018, they surpassed Sephora in specialty beauty store sales for the first time ever.  As their sales rise, they are more likely to have vendors knocking at their door to get their brands in Ulta stores and website. 

As for Laura Geller cosmetics Ulta is phasing it out.  No surprise as the selection in most Ulta stores had been mostly Spackle, Balance N Brighten, and seasonal sets for several years. Geller customers can do much better for selection, price, and sizes on her website and QVC, so it is not inspiring for them to shop the brand elsewhere. I am a Spackle customer and I generally prefer to buy the supersize from QVC, or purchase when her website has a special sale on Spackle products.  Given the corporate problems for the brand right now wouldn't be a time when they would make an investment in sprucing things up to make it more appealing to Ulta and other retailers.  

Respected Contributor

The Ultas in my area appear to be phasing out Laura Geller and Julep.  I've been going from store to store picking up my favorite items at 50% off.  Sadly, things are very picked over.

Super Contributor

Maybe this explains why I saw so many LG kits in Marshalls last week. I don't shop there often, but I never remember seeing her stuff there before.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My local Ulta consolidated her items to a few shelves about 3 feet wide about 3 months ago, and now it’s just bare bones leftovers. I asked in February if they were phasing out her line and got a weaseling answer, which I look as code for “yes.” Zulily had a big promotion of her items about 10 days ago so I picked up a kit that will be perfect for travel (I actually got it for the smaller travel brush) and a pretty coral blush. 

Trusted Contributor

@Trixx wrote:

@TY1 wrote:

@TY1  Ulta's marketing plan (which began with remodeling existing stores a few years ago) is working well these days.  In 2018, they surpassed Sephora in specialty beauty store sales for the first time ever.  As their sales rise, they are more likely to have vendors knocking at their door to get their brands in Ulta stores and website. 

As for Laura Geller cosmetics Ulta is phasing it out.  No surprise as the selection in most Ulta stores had been mostly Spackle, Balance N Brighten, and seasonal sets for several years. Geller customers can do much better for selection, price, and sizes on her website and QVC, so it is not inspiring for them to shop the brand elsewhere. I am a Spackle customer and I generally prefer to buy the supersize from QVC, or purchase when her website has a special sale on Spackle products.  Given the corporate problems for the brand right now wouldn't be a time when they would make an investment in sprucing things up to make it more appealing to Ulta and other retailers.  

What corporate problems?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@Trixx wrote:

@TY1 wrote:

What corporate problems?

The bankrupty of the corporate group which purchased Geller's line and has been discssed in many threads for nearly a year.

Trusted Contributor

@Trixx wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Trixx wrote:

@TY1 wrote:

What corporate problems?

The bankruptcy of the corporate group which purchased Geller's line and has been discussed in many threads for nearly a year.

Thank you.  I had no idea.  Wow.

You sell yourself to a company and then that company gets in financial trouble.

I did not know they also owned Clark's and Julep.

I hope the deal goes through and it works out for everyone.