Respected Contributor

Re: Is Topical Collagen effective on the Face?

@JeanLouiseFinch I originally started collagen supplements for my skin and noticed that my joints were feeling a whole lot better for some reason.   Started taking inventory of things I had changed, and the only thing was adding the collagen peptides.  I actually started with one I got at TJMaxx (an organic grass fed bovine).  I started the Lessman products after that and I continue to take them for my joints and connective tissue.  Tried the Vital Proteins and didn't like that as well so trying out different ones now.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch   THANK YOU for reviving this topic & putting it back on track!!  (I'm so grateful for you!!  Woman Happy )

I reached for my large plastic Can of Collagen, (writing all over it).  Here it is:

"Sports Research"

"Collagen Peptides"  Net Wt 22.72 ozs  (Pic & Title Below)

"Hydrolyzed Type 1 & 3 Collagen

(Dark Chocolate)

I researched Collagen products, to a point, & settled on this powder, for now.  But I wanted to research "Collagen" much more before I used it regularly.  (esp for Bones & Joints also)

This Choc version is VERY Chocolate-y! yumm

When I occasionally have a Cappucino, I add this Collagen product to make it even more chocolately.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/7142hVYsKDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

"Sports Research Collagen Powder Supplement - Vital for Healthy Joints, Bones, & Nails - Hydrolyzed Protein Peptides - Great Keto Friendly Nutrition for Men & Women (Chocolate, 22.72 Oz)"

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch   THANK YOU for reviving this topic & putting it back on track!!  (I'm so grateful for you!!  Woman Happy )

I reached for my large plastic Can of Collagen, (writing all over it).  Here it is:

"Sports Research"

"Collagen Peptides"  Net Wt 22.72 ozs  (Pic & Title Below)

"Hydrolyzed Type 1 & 3 Collagen

(Dark Chocolate)

I researched Collagen products, to a point, & settled on this powder, for now.  But I wanted to research "Collagen" much more before I used it regularly.  (esp for Bones & Joints also)

This Choc version is VERY Chocolate-y! yumm

When I occasionally have a Cappucino, I add this Collagen product to make it even more chocolately.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/7142hVYsKDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

"Sports Research Collagen Powder Supplement - Vital for Healthy Joints, Bones, & Nails - Hydrolyzed Protein Peptides - Great Keto Friendly Nutrition for Men & Women (Chocolate, 22.72 Oz)"

@MakeUpMaidn  The Sports Research brand is well respected by me,  I take a couple of their supplements regularly (Amazon subscription) and have been purchasing their MCT oil at Costco for the past couple of years until it suddenly disappeared from their shelf a couple of months ago.  It's too pricey for me in Amazon, but I've found an excellent replacement that's affordable.  I actually bought the SR collagen before, too. Unfortunately it's only type 1 & 3.  It's type 2 that's for joints.  Since my big weight loss, my knees are great.  My finger joints are another story, the nerve damage from my cervical disc situation was too far gone. I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet and ankles too,.  Due to my intermittent fasting schedule (20:4), I'm fasting in the morning when I have my coffee.  Adding collagen powder then would break my fast, so I've opted for a capsule that I can take when I eat.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I also take collagen in capsules that are all 5 types, just be sure there is no tilapia in them. 

@Shelbelle May I ask what brand you purchase that has all 5 types?  Is it possible to get all 5 from vegetarian or marine sources?  TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

Collagen is exclusively an animal-sourced product. I know there have been some claims that a vegan collagen has been 'invented' but that is still not collagen in scientific descriptions of the substance. 

Regarding tilapia as a marine-sourced collagen...

Only the bones and scales are used and purified to make collagen powder from the tilapia fish. There seems to be concerns about tilapia as a dietary food item where the flesh of the fish is most unhealthy b/c of the type of fats it contains. However, collagen powder made from the fish does not contain any fat but it contains all purified protein w/o contaminants usually found in the flesh of the fish..

Honored Contributor

Tilapia fish is a farm-raised fish usually imported from overseas. Farm-raised fish aren't really the best to eat, however, the products made from the fish are fine for instance collagen. 

There are many things we get from over there and their farm-raised fish is not something I would eat myself. However, most if not all of our Rx and otc drugs are made over there and I don't have a choice to choose otherwise. I really don't see what the difference is when it comes to supplements such as collagen amongst others.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I also take collagen in capsules that are all 5 types, just be sure there is no tilapia in them. 

@Shelbelle May I ask what brand you purchase that has all 5 types?  Is it possible to get all 5 from vegetarian or marine sources?  TIA

I buy either NutriVein caps or Natures Nutrition caps, both contain all 5 types and no tilipia. I doubt they are totally vegetarian, usually one type is made from chickens.